Thread: is it legal

is it legal

i have a fish tank and i am wanting to put natives in it, i am wondering what the legalitys are behind keeping undersized fish for aquariums. i have seen heaps of barra and cod in tanks all under the legal size limit. i want to have bass and a mary river cod, along with a few rainbows so do the cod and bass need to be legal size?

cheers angler1
    ANGLER NOT DANGLER

Re: is it legal

as long as you buy them from an aquarium its fine.
    if you catch them from the wild, ya in trouble.
    make sure the cod is alot bigger than the bass, bass grow fairly quick and will the the poor old cod a hiding. the bass will kill anything thing smaller than them. the cod will have a chop too!!!!!!!!!
    enjoy!

lippa

Dunno - best bet ask in a reputable pet shop. Maybe you can get a permit like you need to keep native birds, snakes etc.

dont like your chances on the marry river cod, being a protected species they will be very hard to get murrays are no worries. the fish you have listed there arnt very compatible youll end up with one cod after hes killed or eaten all your other fish.

yep lippa is right on the money,

mary river cod are a no go for aquariums, and even now murrays are becoming rarer in aquariums, you usually have to order them in as a specialty fish, and even then they are hard to get, because people want them.

cam
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

thanks for your help, i will be getting the fish from my mate who has his own hatchery. he breeds mary river cod, bass, silvers,yellas, and the odd toga but mainly the cod.so i should be allright legally to purchase them from him.
    thanks angler1
    ANGLER NOT DANGLER

hey does your mate still breed the odd toga ??? does he supply stocking groups ?? thanks

you can catch them from the wild, but you will need a permit from the DPI&F to harvest for aquariums. I don't know how much it costs, but when you are well underway, you can apply for an ABN a try to make up the costs by selling any extra specimens.

Failing that, buy them from an aquarium, as to which will cost you more, I have no idea.