Thread: Better late than never

Better late than never

Have been reading Ausfish for the last 5 years or so and have just decided to start posting (takes time to warm up to these things).

Grew up fishing in the Gulf of Carpentaria (my home town is Normanton). Moved to the big smoke of Brisbane and did a Bachelor of Science in Marine Ecology (don't hold that against me - I don't agree with the green zones and more importantly the lack of true scientific evidence for what they are proposing).

Ran jewellery companies for a long time and now work as a consultant since my kids were born. Still consult for jewellery companies but now spend most of my time working in fishing tackle (one form of bling to another form of bling).

Use to fish the Gold Coast but moved to the bay about 4 years ago. Have two kids so don't get to fish as often as I like but live vicariously through all the stories at work. When I do fish it is usually in the bay or down the Tweed.

Cheers,
    Janelle
    (PS using my real name cause I couldn't think of anything else. My usual nickname is a boys name so didn't want you to think I am a guy when I'm not)

Re: Better late than never

Hi, interesting career. Welcome.

FA

Hi Janelle,

Nice to find a fellow fisher-woman addicted like me!! I've been reading for a little while too & recently joined up. Dont be shy!

My husband hates fishing & camping etc & has never been in my boat in the 15yrs we have been together!

I grew up fishing too & I go out by myself in my boat about every 2nd day. Had spinal surgery earlier in the year, so I had to upgrade the tinny to a hornet with electric start/tilt trim - what a shame huh!

Im a book-keeper & also have an earthmoving business with hubby - no kids, reckon they just interfere with my fishing.

Cindy

Hi Cindy,

I am envious, would love to get out as often as you do. Am teaching my 3 year old to cast at the moment and he is pretty keen but his patience isn't up to a serious fishing trip yet. As soon as the youngest one is sleeping through they are off to the grandparents for sleep overs and I will be out more.

Good to see more women on this site in recent years.

Cheers,

Janelle

Hi Janelle its great to come across a member of the opposite sex who is just as passionate about fishing as most of the blokes out there! asFA mentioned you've done quite alot with yourself career wise! What is it you do in your work involving fishing tackle?
    Hope the kids settle down so you can get out there and amonghts it!
    Peanut

Hi Peanut,

I think there are a lot of girls out there who fish but these days are just more comfortable with saying that is what they enjoy. I must confess when I met my husband I am sure that the fact that I like fishing was a bonus as far as he was concerned.

For work I do everything from stock entry, research, store display, booking and organising fishing charters, to stacking the bait freezer and whatever else comes along.

Am a bit of a bling junky so if it looks good then I am even more interested. Also like things that are hard to get hold of or limited editions. I am sure I drive the boys mad sometimes because it has to look good as well as perform to be perfect in my eyes.

Cheers,

Janelle

Hi janelle, great to hear from another female fisho......