• Shimano Cronarch 100B

5 8.62%
  • Pflueger President

3 5.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bass Baitcaster

Bass Baitcaster

Hi Ausfishers ..... I'm after some opinions on what are some of the best lightweight baitcasters that members are currently using for their bass fishing! being a daiwa fan ..... I would automatically run to the Alphas & Steez (if I can afford one!) I'll also look overseas at reels like the Shimano Metanium ( which is apparently better than the newly released Core )
    Anyhow opinions would be greatly appreciated .... Nagg

Re: Bass Baitcaster

hey mate another really good diawa baitcaster for bass is the SOL it is designed for fresh and its really light!

Quote Originally Posted by chris_lure_man View Post
    hey mate another really good diawa baitcaster for bass is the SOL it is designed for fresh and its really light!

Hi Chris ..... I was going to add the Sol to the list ..... but I thought it was a little too heavy .... & so added the Fuego in place of it
    I would have looked at a Sol as a Jack type reel! ..
    Nagg
    PS ..... I sought of feel the same way about a Chronarch 100B !

Just got myself a sol spooled up with 15lb tuffline as a jack/small barra/large bass set up, gave it a test in the yard this afternoon, locked drag runs smoothly and maxes at 3.5kg's and i was casting lures as light as sx40's(though not very well) and comfortably casting sx48's. I could only assume the alphas would be the same except lighter.

Hey nagg, I own a Conquest 50 and that reel is an absolute pleasure to use! I would highly recommend it if you are looking for something that little bit special.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy87 View Post
    Just got myself a sol spooled up with 15lb tuffline as a jack/small barra/large bass set up, gave it a test in the yard this afternoon, locked drag runs smoothly and maxes at 3.5kg's and i was casting lures as light as sx40's(though not very well) and comfortably casting sx48's. I could only assume the alphas would be the same except lighter.
    hi Jeremy ...... I wouldn't expect any baitcaster to cast an SX-40 at all ... let alone not very well . The alphas has a good reputation though! ...... currently I use a Cronarch SF..... & it typically casts spinnerbaits & mid size HBs very well! ......... Now I want a reel that will cast smaller HBs.... Like the Ecogear CK40Fs , Jackall Chubby 38DFs & Tienco Crank 45SRs! ...... Hence the post!
    Nagg
    PS .... It will be matched to a Loomis SBR752
    Last edited by NAGG; 25-12-2007 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by turley View Post
    Hey nagg, I own a Conquest 50 and that reel is an absolute pleasure to use! I would highly recommend it if you are looking for something that little bit special.
    Hi Turley ...A Conquest 50 ...... I'm not familiar with it ! .... Can you please enlighten me??? ... Thankx
    nagg

Hi Nagg,
    If your a Daiwa fan,And into low profiles,The Steez will be pretty hard to top.
    But there are other awesome reels in their stable to choose from like :-

TD-ito 103M (See below),Pixy,TD-Z Type R+,And if ya can find one the TD-Z A.O.I.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For round profiles be sure to check out :-

Monoblock 100XR,And the 103 I'ze Light.

Cheers. B8.
    Last edited by Hardb8; 25-12-2007 at 11:36 PM.
    The underlying spirit of angling,Is that the skill of the angler,Is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish,And that the latter is entitled to an even chance for his life. Regards, Hardb8.Kickin tails and razin scales since 1979.

I use a Daiwa Pixy for my bass work and it is a ripper.
    Spooled with 8lb PE and matched to a loomis cbr783.

correct me if I am wrong but Sol's are for fresh only so using them for Jacks is asking for trouble?

i use a daiwa pixy with a loomis forclite and a sol with a loomis gl3 both have 8lb fins

Quote Originally Posted by keepitreel View Post
    correct me if I am wrong but Sol's are for fresh only so using them for Jacks is asking for trouble?

Sol's are Saltwater fine as they are nearly the same reel as the Alphas 103..

Here's good review on the Sol's.. & another on the Alphas 103..

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwasol.html

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdiawaalphas.html

Maybe, theres only one way to find out. I think if its well maintained it shouldn't really be an issue. I used a tdx103 freshwater special for about 2 years in salt water and the magnesium body didn't take it too well, i had one bearing go which was a crbb and i've ground the gears a bit from extensive use. Since the sol is all aluminium and a lower ratio i'm thinking it should shape up ok.

Yeh Nagg i think the size your reffering to should be well and truely castable.
    When i said i was casting sx40's but not very well i was meaning i could flick one maybe 10-12metres overhand without birdsnesting, the accurracy was cr@p and you couldn't side cast the thing for love or money but the point i was making is the reel is good enough to handle it.

While the sought of sized hardbody you want to use can be cast with a low profile i'd still preffer a spin. I'm used to casting little hardbodies in wild bass water and being able to punch out a small lure at speed can be a real advantage for getting little hardbodies under overhanging structure. It also means you can skip them in (though more a plastics thing)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardb8 View Post
    Hi Nagg,
    If your a Daiwa fan,And into low profiles,The Steez will be pretty hard to top.
    But there are other awesome reels in their stable to choose from like :-

TD-ito 103M (See below),Pixy,TD-Z Type R+,And if ya can find one the TD-Z A.O.I.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For round profiles be sure to check out :-

Monoblock 100XR,And the 103 I'ze Light.

Cheers. B8.
    Thanks b8 ..... Some of the Ito stuff is just sensational A Ito Alphas is to die for!
    The monoblock ... Isn't that a bit big to consider as a bass reel ??? .... I've bought a bit off Japan tackle & they usually have a good range of JDMs ! ... Speaking of JDMs the Daiwa Presso looks like a nice lightweight ( comes in under the Alphas & Pixy (fresh water only) ... Cheers
    Nagg

I use a Daiwa Pixy for my bass work and it is a ripper.
    Spooled with 8lb PE and matched to a loomis cbr783.

Hi Keepit ......Sols are fine for the Salt OK so the Pixies seem quite popular then!
    Nagg

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy87 View Post
    Maybe, theres only one way to find out. I think if its well maintained it shouldn't really be an issue. I used a tdx103 freshwater special for about 2 years in salt water and the magnesium body didn't take it too well, i had one bearing go which was a crbb and i've ground the gears a bit from extensive use. Since the sol is all aluminium and a lower ratio i'm thinking it should shape up ok.

Yeh Nagg i think the size your reffering to should be well and truely castable.
    When i said i was casting sx40's but not very well i was meaning i could flick one maybe 10-12metres overhand without birdsnesting, the accurracy was cr@p and you couldn't side cast the thing for love or money but the point i was making is the reel is good enough to handle it.

While the sought of sized hardbody you want to use can be cast with a low profile i'd still preffer a spin. I'm used to casting little hardbodies in wild bass water and being able to punch out a small lure at speed can be a real advantage for getting little hardbodies under overhanging structure. It also means you can skip them in (though more a plastics thing)
    Hi Jeremy ....... I think I'm a tackle snob ( I hate the term purist) .... I get a certain satisfaction using baitcast gear + you feel a greater connection with the fish & have better control . I've got some pretty good bream spin gear that I could use ( & do for bassin with SPs) ... but hey..... its just me:rolleyes: .
    A side cast is always my measure .... as its my preferred casting style!
    Cheers
    Nagg