Thread: 1.5 metre lungfish upper brisbane river

1.5 metre lungfish upper brisbane river

Went for a family day out upper of the brisbane river bit of fishin a bit of swimming any way got alot of little bar grunter and a spangled perch and my little bro decided to fish 4 the huge mullet that were jumping with a float and a bit of bread. he got sick of it and went 4 a swim and i put my shimano et limited edition rod with a shimano slade with 10lbs brade to sit in the seat with a bit of fresh water muscle on it. i took the mullet rig and flicked it arround only 4 more little bar grunter so i burleyed up the water and attracted the mullet and the turtles and 1 very bid shaddow cruising arround the water. So i cast my bread and float straight at it and i saw him take it and bang...................... i was on 4 15 minutes and eventually he tired out and there i had a 1.5 metre 1 million or over year old fish laying beside me in the water wat a great experiance. She then went off to live a few more million years. What a rare fish. My guess was about 10 to 20kg if not more... has any body else encoutered these beautiful fish at any bigger sizes?
    Cheers Jpart10

Re: 1.5 metre lungfish upper brisbane river

Beautifull fish... ......Not taking away from your capture mate but they are one of the ugliest fish I have ever seen...

Well done on the capture though mate.....They are a fish you dont hear to many peolpe catching.

Pete

Re: 1.5 metre lungfish upper brisbane river

Me and my mate regulaly catch them at NPD as a bycatch, and get quite annoying as you think u have a nice bass or yella on and it turns out to one of these guys,between me and my mate we have caught 7 all up in only bout 5 or 6 trips bait fishing at the dam. They are such a nice fish and so frikon heavy, i havent tried to pick it up but it was heavy to push. I'll post a pic up of oone we caught. if it works. We didnt have a ruler or tape emasure so we estimated it at about 1m-1.2m.

cam
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons