Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Being Ripped Off

Re: Being Ripped Off

OK well I'm confused....maybe thats a good thing

I've forwarded phil my mobile number to give me a call to let him in on it.

does anyone have a update on whats happening with all of this?

Quote Originally Posted by TunaKing2008 View Post
    does anyone have a update on whats happening with all of this?
    Havent heard a thing....

surely someone knows something im thinking of buying a gps combo off ebay and since this guy changes name all the time i was wondering if hestill is trading or if i should just buy from the states

Quote Originally Posted by TunaKing2008 View Post
    surely someone knows something im thinking of buying a gps combo off ebay and since this guy changes name all the time i was wondering if hestill is trading or if i should just buy from the states
    Well....a couple of thoughts. Buying from Pat at FishOn Marine in USA is a painless and reliable 5-6 day experience according to everyone who uses them. But I cant believe the aussie dollar makes it attractive at the moment. Remember you can only bring in $1000 aud value duty free including postage cost, and postage from USA is about $100 aud so you have $900 aud to spend on the unit....about $630 usd at the moment.
    On EBay I would just be very careful unless it is an established local seller who will give you contact details like Mr Boats from Sydney who also has a good rep on the forum.
    This crook from Bundaberg could easily be out there under any name as you say..?

What combo are you looking at..?

lowrance lms27 has the internal antenna owned one previously on my last boat including postage it comes to about $950 aus

Quote Originally Posted by mik01 View Post
    you should pay via paypal for protection. if the seller doesn't offer it, don't buy from them
    YEAH GEKO THATS ALL BULL SH THERE ALL GOOD TILL THEY HAVE A CLAIM THEN NOTHING

No he's not on there as far as I can see. Ebay actaully got serious about taking this clown from bundaberg through the legal system and he wised up. I'm keeping an eye out for him all the time but he'd have to be stupid to try it again useless he wants a holiday in jail.
    As for the comment above on warranty. If your a legit shop you have to help with warranty or you won't be around for long. Always make sure your buying off a respected marine business and you can't go wrong.

good to see ebay finally did something its a pity so many people had to be scammed along the way before they got serious. thanks for the update

Question Re: Being Ripped Off

TunaKing,

I have purchased a lot of items from ebay, ranging from exercise equipment, power tools, bedding, fishing gear, computer hardware, music accessories, pool equipment, books and electronics and more, both in Australia and from overseas sellers.

Here are A couple of things I do to help make sure I am not going to get ripped off, and so far everything I have bought has turned out fine, quality can be an issue, but you get what you pay for, especially for the stuff from China.

I only buy from sellers who have sold or bought heaps of items, I know everyone has to start out on zero, but I'm not going to be their first.

The seller or buyer needs to have a very high %rating, 98% or better.

I always go through their previous sales and see what they have been selling and I contact a couple of the people that have bought from the seller, I ask about the quality of the product, the freight, things like that.

I have found people are always happy to respond and tell me what they think of the seller and the item they bought, I even had one lady in the USA offer to take photo's and email them, the item was a room of bedding, and my wife was unsure of the colours.

You need to do some research on the items you want and the seller selling them.

All the best mate and safe buying

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by catfish55 View Post
    YEAH GEKO THATS ALL BULL SH THERE ALL GOOD TILL THEY HAVE A CLAIM THEN NOTHING
    Catfish, my experience with Paypal was quite the opposite when I had a claim against a knob in the US who tried to stiff me for a Penn 940 baitcaster back in February.

When I lodged a claim against the seller (who seemed to be waiting for more than a couple of weeks before posting the item) Paypal were very fast and proactive in getting my funds back. It is around a 10 day process that weighs the whole transaction-up and if there is any suggestion of a seller acting outside the (now very narrow) set of rules, then your money is quite quicly deposited back into your account.

I cannot say what Paypal was like more than around 7-8 months ago (about when I personally discovered what my wife knew all along - eBay is addictive sometimes ) but there has been a host of new(er) processes put in place nowadays to protect buyers (and, to a lesser extent - sellers) against the unsavoury element that pervades our society these days.

Just trying to add some balance.

Regards,

Dave

I've personally had varied situations with paypal, but be aware its not 100% safe when using it to purchase or sell. What I have found is whoever out of the 2 parties complains first or the whinges most wins. I had a customer I sold a fishfinder to and it didn't show up. Instead of getting in contact with me asking if it has been sent out she went straight to paypal and complained. They gave me 7 days to respond. My response was the item had gone out. I gave paypal the Australia post tracking number which showed the parcel was at the customers local post office as nobody was home to sign for it when it was being delievered.
    Paypal rejected my response and said they didn't reconise the tracking number I gave them. The reason why they didn't reconise the tracking number is because they are over in the USA ond have only heard of DHL, FED EX and UPS not the Australia post commercial system called eparcel. They took the money out of my account and it was only returned when I threatened to go to the department of fair trade. Paypal and Ebay are the same company and they think they are a power of their own. Just becareful when using thm and don't think its fool proof because its run by lazy fools in the first place.

Alright people I told you I'd keep an eye out for this Garry Beattie guy on ebay again. He has resurfaced again under the user name isa_gps the wheels are already in motion the correct authorities have been notified as well as ebay but I'm guessing they'll take months to take action again. Just beware and don't buy off him or you'll lose your money. If he is back in full swing again he'll be using other ebay names to bid hid products up and also sell off when I find out what they are I'll post them on here. Looks like scum like this doesn't go away. Next step the big house hopefully

Ebay has now shut him down again.