Thread: Directions to harrys hut?

Directions to harrys hut?

Hey guys,
    The missus and I want to take the canoe up to the noosa river/everglades and maybe have a flick for a bass too.

Which is the best way to get there?
    Is there other spots to launch from further up stream?I have a 4wd aswell.

Any help would be great.
    Cheers craig

Re: Directions to harrys hut?

Hi Craig,

I would suggest that you drive to Harrys Hut and launch from there.

Alternatively, you could drive to Boreen and continue to Elanda Point, launch there and paddle across the op end of Lake Cootharaba to Kin Kin Creek.

Be warned that the lake is very shallow and in any sort of wing becomes quite rough. That's why I suggested you drive to Harris Hut.

Boat traffic at this time of year ( particularly from Kin Kin Creek to Harrys) might be heavy.

They are some excellent maps available that will show you where to go.

Luc

I took the boat up a few weeks back. Very nice trip. Sat on the jetty at Harry's and pigged out on oysters and prawns. But from memory there is a sign at the Everglades that fishing is prohibited any further up.

Hi Gunna,
    There are no fishing restrictions in the noosa river. There is how ever a no outboard restiction from campsite 3 upstream. I fish the area a bit and the rangers only ever ask if I have caught anything.

Hi craig,
    I agree with Luc in the if you have a fwd drive to harry's hut and put the conoe in there, it will be a lot easier than paddling across that lake. As for the fishing flick spinnerbaits around and you are shore to pick a couple up.
    Happy Fishing,
    Jesper

Driving to the hut is the way to go, it's a fair paddle from Elanda point to get there.

There is a camp ground up past the hut you can set up camp at no facilities so no sooks. DON'T FORGET THE AEROGUARD! actually forget the aeroguard and take bushmens. I actually use a mossie coil in a holder in the bottem of the boat.

In answer to your question take the Cooloolah way or Drive to Elanda point and turn left before entering the camp ground and follow the road. The dust should not be a problem it has been raining here for days and will continue to do so. I hope you have bungs in your canoe to let the water out.

do u need a 4wd to get to the hut?and is there anywhere to camp nearby

You can get to harrys hut in a 2wd but if it is or has been wet then you could have problems,there is a campground there not sure on details as I have not camped there.
    How to get there,drive up the bruce highway,torn off into pomona and follow signs to kinkin,when you reach kinkin turn right(Before the pub)follow this road and eventually it will turn to gravel and you go up like a small range,at the top turn right onto cooloola way and the harries hut turn off is not far on the right and was signposted last time I went there.

Cheers Craig

It's a bit of a rough track, having said that I drove the wife's subaru liberty in there back in Feb.

After any rain the clay gets slippery and 4wd would be recommended.