Thread: bribe island and Pumicestone Passage fishing

bribe island and Pumicestone Passage fishing

hey guys

ive just recently started fishing the passage and am wondering if anyone has any tips on what speices to chase. rigs tacklebait to us or softy.. also like what kind of spots am i to look for ect. im used 2 fishin the banks with my dad in his boat so am quite new to any river fishing.

cheers

Re: bribe island and Pumicestone Passage fishing

Ok,
    Are you boat or land based?
    If you are land based try places like white patch and surrounds, or buckleys hole on the lower tides.
    if you are boating try places like mouth of ningi creek, white patch, or further up the passage like coochin creek and surrounds.

I use sp mainly with 1/8oz jigheads with 3" gulps pumpkinseed is a good starter.
    Chase whiting with worms or yabbies on the drift around sand banks seems to work better for me.

the species you will mainly encounter are the norm. flatties, whiting, bream, stingers, the od taylor (in season), jacks (if you go up the creeks) cod, etc.

the best advice i can give is expore.

hope this helps for a start

neil

hey thx for that yea im on boat how far up from the bribe is ningi creek herd it mentioned quite a bit..

Ningi Creek is the first creek on the left (mainland) side as you travel up the passage from the bridge. The entrance to Ningi Creek is marked by a yellow cross beacon about 1 kilometre up from the bridge. The mouth of Ningi Creek is a popular area for flathead, and also sand crabs through the summer months. Along the oyster leases in that area is also good for bream, but much better at dawn and dusk or through the night than during the day time. The deep water in the middle of the passage between the mouth of Ningi Creek and the bridge holds lots of grass sweetlip, Moses perch and squire, but most of them will be undersize (30cm for grassies, 25 for Moses Perch and 35 for squire). Again you will get a better quality fish at night. The tidal run through there is strong so you have to fish on the drift, or across the change of tide if you want to anchor.
    To the starboard side of the yellow beacon is Shag Island, which has the best yabby bank in the passage. The yabbies are just above the mangrove trees on the north-west side of the island. You can pump a hundred large yabbies here in about 15 minutes, getting up to 8 keepers per hole. Make sure you put the little ones back down the holes so that the seagulls don't eat them. Drifting these yabbies across the banks and gutters during the second half of the rising tide will usually give you a few flathead and the odd bream. Many of the flathead will be bar-tails (legal length 30cm), with the odd dusky (legal length 40-70cm) so make sure you can tell them apart. You will also pick up a few sole at this time of year as well, which should not be ignored, as they are an excellent eating fish. The summer whiting seem to be caught much further up the creeks at the moment, so don't expect too many of them.
    Cheers Freeeedom
    Last edited by Freeeedom; 22-12-2007 at 04:14 PM.

hey thx man thats a massive help i shall fish this creek when i go up 2moz with some mates cheers for all the help