Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rod Building Weekend 29-30 March

Rod Building Weekend 29-30 March

STUART MCKENZIE OF PRECISION RODS WILL RUN THE CLASS, ALONG WITH DAVID BOYLE OF VISUAL WRAP (ON THE SATURDAY ONLY).

TOTAL BEGINNERS ARE MOST WELCOME.

THERE WILL BE A SECTION THIS YEAR FOR FINISHING OFF WRAPS/RESIN APPLICATION.

ANYONE WANTING TO NOMINATE A TOPIC FOR INSTRUCTION SOULD GET IN EARLY SO WE CAN CO ORDINATE, CAN'T GUARANTEE ALL REQUEST.

LOTS MORE INFORMATION TO FOLLOW.

PM me or post questions & I'll do my best.

roz .

WE HAVE FILLED OUR QUOTA OF 15.

Stu McKenzie - Precision Rods
    Dave Boyle - Visual Wrap

Scotty (finga)
    Phill (lucky)
    Ian (sid-fishes)
    Ken (Rodman)
    Graham & Reuben (grave41)
    Ryan (ryansrods)
    Steve ( metaloid )
    Dazza (2DKnB)
    Brent (kid)
    Alan (mad_pierre06)
    Ben (B_E_N)
    myself (roz)

Looking forward to meeting you all at Pinhead's in March.

I will be putting up a list of things you will need to bring along. So watch this post.

roz.

Hi All,

Firstly I am very much looking forward to March, this will be our third Rod building weekend, and every year to date has been a great success.

It will be held at Greg & Sue’s house, Greg is ‘pinhead’ on Ausfish. They very generously allow us to invade their lives and back yard for this occasion.

We will begin at 10 am each day and finish at around 4pm.

Morning and afternoon tea will be provided free.

There will be a BBQ lunch put on by Greg each day, we all give him $5.00 & he does the rest (that is $5.00 each day). I think that is a bargain, you can however bring your own lunch, no problems there.

Below is a list of items you will need for the Rod Building Weekend.

* Rod Blank
    * Butt cap/gimbal
    * Reel seat/ winch mount
    * Grips
    * Guides

* Carpenters chalk or equivalent for marking spacings on the rod.
    * Masking tape
    * Binding thread – Unless you already have a thread collection, I would recommend you purchase black in size ‘C’ Gudebrod NCP brand. However there are many good brands available. Of course you do not have to use black, it’s just a recommendation as it’s for the guides.
    * Filler/thread preserver
    * Scissors
    * Fishing reel with line.
    * Thinners, probably 500ml to 1 litre
    * Nail clippers
    * A file for smoothing the feet of the guides
    * Sand paper 120 or 240.
    * Glue - There will be special glue provided, in the past we used 24 hour or 5 minute araldite which is not good for this type of work, aside from that, the amount of araldite you will require makes it quite expensive, so if everyone would like to throw in a few $$$ for the glue provided, you will save.

You will need something on which to turn your rod, the best things are rollers, but I improvise and lay the ends of my rod on a pair of my joggers, sounds strange & Stu is always taking the piss, but it works.

You will be able to buy all these items from a well stocked tackle store and hardware store. If you do have any problems please let me know.

If you are new to this, and need advice on anything at all, PM me or post up the question and someone will be there to help.

Also on the Saturday, Dave Boyle of Visual Wrap will be there to show the easy way of running cross wraps and perhaps even weaves, not sure about the latter at this early stage. I also hope to do a cross wrap on someone’s rod (if someone will let me), we will then be able to see a demo on epoxy application.

I will keep you all updated as the weeks go by.

Really looking forward to catching up with the regulars as well as meeting new faces.. You will have a great time, guaranteed!!!!

Cheers roz.

Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 26-03-2008 at 08:39 AM.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Re: Rod Building Weekend 29-30th March

Roz, Reuben and i will come along as usual. It"s always a great day out.
    Thanks Graham
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 01-03-2008 at 09:25 PM.

Re: Rod Building Weekend 28-29 March

Count me in

Ken (AKA Rodman)

i,m there, i need all the help i can get epoxy wise

hi was wondering were this is held i would love to be thereand to meet eeryone ryan farnham aka (ryansrods)

Ryan

It is held in Brisbane at Pinheads place. You will have a great time and heaps of laughs. Beginers to advanced it realy makes no diffrence your current level of skill. Hope to see you there mate.

Stu

Sign me up please Roz

About time I pulled the old digit out and built another rod. At least I will know the best way to go about it

Cheers

Neil
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

With bells on Roz
    Had a ball at the last one so count me in for sure.

Cheers Dazza

Hi All,

Roz dont sign me in as a starter but Bec and I will drop in to say hello, Finga I will be hassling you shortly mate about that old sentimental Synder rock rod that needs a refurbish sometime, you know the one

cheers
    mike
    Tangles KFC

Quote Originally Posted by Aigutso View Post
    Hi All,

Roz dont sign me in as a starter but Bec and I will drop in to say hello, Finga I will be hassling you shortly mate about that old sentimental Synder rock rod that needs a refurbish sometime, you know the one

cheers
    mike
    Why don't you both do the week-end and do it your bloody self??

Hey Roz I'm getting my haircut that week-end. Is it possible for the next week-end??

I'm really looking forward to learn how to put epoxy on.
    At last I might find out what I'm doing wrong.

Are you wanting a little something I promised you last year Greg??
    It's made so you'll be able to use it this time.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

[QUOTE=finga;731303]Why don't you both do the week-end and do it your bloody self??

Because...
    Tangles KFC

Would love to come as we had so much fun last year and learnt a lot. But we will be just getting back from overseas so this year or should I say this m&g we will have to say no to.
    damn
    cheers
    sandyd

I'll be attempting another hastings offshore rod, but you ferets keep ya hands off it this time... no more ' pizza ' rods.

I will also be bringing along an oldie that needs a refurb.

See you all there,

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    I'll be attempting another hastings offshore rod, but you ferets keep ya hands off it this time... no more ' pizza ' rods.

Phill
    A Chow Mein rod maybe
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Count me in as number 12 please.
    Alan