Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mud Island Novice

Mud Island Novice

Hello,

I am new to fishing in the Moreton bay area,
    Tomorrow morning I am planning to go to the mud island in my tinny to try catching some snapper on soft plastic. I think I got all the gear pretty much sorted.

Pfluger 2-4 kg Trion rod with 4 pound crystal braid and 8 pond fluro leader (basically my bream setup). 1/16 – 1/8 jig heads (2 inch prewn, new penny, 3 inch melon powerbait minnow..etc)

Then I got a Pfluger 3 -6 kg Trion with 15 pond tuff line and 20 pound (rock ) fluro leader. ( this will hopefully work for snapper) ¼ jigheads. (4 inch nuclear Chicken minnow)

I am saving up for The Bear S10-H to cover the heavier stuff. (but that’s later on, early new year)

I got a general idea of how to get to Mud and where to go to protect myself from wind. But can you please tell me which side is better to fish on. North West South or East? I know there are reefs on the eastern side, and southern, with some on the north but I am a bit confused at where to start.

Thank you for you help, i am looking forward to give you guys a good report from my trip.

Re: Mud Island Novice

I'm no expert on mud, but i have read reports of the Eastern side being productive.

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

if you have a sounder its best to look around for bait, recently the snapper (bigger models) have been hanging around them. So its an idea to look for either shows on the bottom or bait because i have found that the fish can be somewhere one day then the next they are elsewhere.
    If no sounder i suppose try to get as much info from people who have recently fished there.
    I have fished at wello recently and there is a few schools of squire hanging around there, not to many bigger ones but up to 40cm and the odd 1 over 50.

Anyway goodluck, hope you get a few.

Ausfish, Could you please take carpies Thanks rights away. I like to think i've earned my thanks here. And this is BS.

Are you being stalked FA?

A not so secret admirer perhaps?

Pete
    Last edited by Peter4; 14-12-2007 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter4 View Post

G'day

Haha classic!!

Seriously tho, croangler... what size tinny do you have?? as it's a fair way out for small boats and can be an even longer trip on the way in if wind and tide aren't co-operative

Dave

it is a 4.1 metre stessl. front steer. with a 30 hp Yamaha 2 stroke. its a litlle beast, but i wont take it past mud

Quote Originally Posted by Peter4 View Post
    Are you being stalked FA?

Pete
    LOL it's a not so secret old mate, who likes to be an ass. He's Thank raping me. Ban him... And remove all his thanks plz. Bahahha jimmy.

Ausfish, i'm betting his connection originates in Canberra. Queenbeyan to be exact. Could you plz remove all his thanks.

cro angler
    some ground on the ne side of mud the way point will put you close to a ledge and give you a handy reference for some channels & contours. go light & have patience................... or do what i do & use bait, be very very quite if your a bream fisho you'll know what i mean. use some wet bags or carpet to deaden the sound if there is a bit of wave action.

BigE

Quote Originally Posted by jackson4300 View Post
    if you have a sounder its best to look around for bait, recently the snapper (bigger models) have been hanging around them.

This is good advice.

There are productive reefs on the east side and you will find them easily because on a Saturday, they are pretty well populated by boats but my own daytime experience lately has not been so good on those reefs and indeed I have done better just by looking around for accumulations of bait fish, which for me have been around the drop-off on the northern side in the area around the beacon.

On an outgoing tide, the creek outlet on the south eastern corner can yield a nice fish. Don't try too close to the mouth as it is quite snaggy there.

Likewise drop-offs on the SW side can be ok and indeed, as the Seabreeze forecast for tomorrow shows easterly winds, you might find that side a little more comfortable in a tinnie notwithstanding that the forecast is for lightish winds.

Drifting anywhere around Mud can yield a few pleasant surprises at times.

G'day guys,

I've done a few trips out to mud now, but still consider myself a serious noob.

I normally drift over the reefs (start in the deep water, and drift over the ledge),

But I see a lot of guys anchoring up, and I imagine this reduces the number of snags a lot.... Would you use a reef pick, or keep the sand anchor on out there?

Cheers for any help, I'm heading out there for a dusk fish tonight, so hopefully I'll bring home a keeper this time.

G'day

I've had no worries with a standard sand anchor.

Saying that, I only have a 12' boat, so is pretty much as light as you will get

Dave

northern end for bigger snapper.

Quote Originally Posted by wokket View Post
    Would you use a reef pick, or keep the sand anchor on out there?

A sand anchor is fine.