Thread: tin can bay advice

tin can bay advice

g'day im a brissie boy and im headind up to tin can on x mas holidays, as this is new grounds for me some tips or spots to have a try at from anyone who has knowledge of this area would be of much help. have a boat and im guessing flattie , bream and whiting would be the main targets. thanks Jamie 5 days of work to go ye ha !!!!!!

Re: tin can bay advice

Where to start is the big question,I would sugest to try going south out of snapper creek(the main boat romp is there),head down around and just south of the power lines,good for all species mentioned.How big is boat and motor because this is a huge area.
    You could try toing your boat over to the log dump on kauri creek and launching there,dont go upstream to the right of boat ramp as this all green zone,go to left and there is heaps of potential, cant give exact spots of course ,you will find the log dump of off the road to tinnanbar,off the maryborough-cooloola road.
    Any more questions just ask will help where I can.

Cheers Craig

thanks craig. boat is a435 quinnie with 40 on back. gets along nicely. we staying at kingfisher caravan park i think there is boat ramp there or close by. will have to look at my beacon2beacon to know where abouts your talking about. as i said i have no idea of this place and didnt know there was green zones"thanks could be costly" weve got 5 days to explore so hopefully will find some fish. anymore invo would be much thanked.

hey craig forgot to ask what is your main bait you use up there. is there many yabbie banks around.

With that sort of boat you will be well sorted,if you head north from snapper creek and go right up to inskip point there are some good grounds around there and make sure you keep a spin rod with a slug loaded and ready as there are often macs and and other pelagics working up around this area.
    there are some reef patches inside the straights opposite the mouth of kauri creek,the current rips through here though.
    You can get a map from Ian at cooloola auto and marine that shows all the green zones in the great sandy straight and tin can bay(There are a few),but there is still plenty of good fishing areas.There are also a few go slow areas to protect the dugongs etc,these are shown on the same map and it is free.
    My boat is a 4.2 stessco catcher rv with a 40hp tohatsu.
    Plenty of yabbie banks around here and they are a great bait to use.
    If you have a cast or bait net,poddy mullet or bigger mullet strips work really well.
    there is also a ledge just south of snapper creek on the eastern side of the tin can inlet.

Cheers Craig
    Last edited by catfishkid; 14-12-2007 at 09:38 PM.

Gday Lizard Wizard

What dates are you at kinfisher caravan park? I am staying there from the 18th til 26th december then heading up to 1770/agnes water and then to Arlie beach.

I will be the one with the blue lancer and 4mt tinnie on the back. Feel free to come say gday and have an ice cold refreshment as I am travelling all by the way through by myself,

Looking forward to the trip should be a ripper.

Also to craig thanks for the info on the bay, will be havin those slugs at the ready, got a nice new one for xmas from a client, i was impressed.

Cheers again Callum

thanks craig thats handy info mate. got a cast net so will have a livie rig out and wont forget my yabbie pump. igot tohatsu 40 aswell. great motor i like it. i be in a white quinie broadwater with grey bimini. if ya see us come ova for a yarn. will be there from the 26 to 30 . sorry callum gunna miss ya. you be leaving as we arriving. but might catch ya at 1770 cuz we heading to gin gin after tin can and planning on some day trips to 1770 for alook and a fish. merry x mas guys hope theres plenty of fish on ya hooks over x mas.
    Last edited by Jimbo73; 15-12-2007 at 09:11 AM.

My advice is to had down to the pub,they do a great steak and have a chat with the friendly locals .
    George
    At Heaven's gate a soldier stood,
    his story ready to tell,
    St Peter said, 'no need my son all is understood,
    Go right in cos you've already served your time in Hell'

thanks manchild. if all fails on the water i be down the pub eating one of those juicy steaks and washing it down with a brew or three.

lizard wizard there are some nice GT's aroung tin can too and dont forget your crab pots there are also some nice muddys up there . In the afternoon go for a walk up to the boat ramp near the vmr and there is a couple of dolphins that come right in to the shore , well they were when i used to go there but i have not been there for years . hey callum when will you be at 1770? me and a mate are going to baffle creek which i think is not that far from there . we will be there on the 8th of jan till the 10th. pm me if you want to meet up .

nico

Lizard - thats a shame, i will try and leave some fish for you. Hope you have a great trip anyway. I will be up at agnes water/1770 from the 26th til the 31st, but i see your in tin can bay til the 30th, so i think we will miss each other again.

Nico - Sorry mate i will be long gone from 1770 when your up there, would have been great to catch up with urself and also lizard. I'll probably be making myway back home from arlie beach by those dates.

Hope you have a great trip and a very merry christmas and a happy new year

Callum

Nico.d.r the dolphins still come in but they come in the morning now,I havent heard of any GTs on the flats lately but my sons mates get a few behind Lees fisheries in snapper creek on cooked prawns,the prawns dont last long enough to become bait with me around .If you do bring crab pots you just need to keep a bit of an eye on them as there can be a bit of share farming and also some who take the whole pots,I have lost a few in kauri creek.
    I was up at airlie beach about 6 weeks ago for work and what an awesome place that is,didnt have much of a chance for fishing though.

This is my tinnie and anyone heading up this way should feel free to stop for a chat.Here are also a few pics of local catches that are fairly recent.

nice pics craig. that is the darkest looking bream ive ever seen mate. nico ive heard there are dolphins that they feed at a boat ramp or something , the kids are gunna love that. im not much of a fan of crabs but the rest of the fam is. but like craig said there are thieves up there and thats just the same my way. all my pots have "mysterously" gone missing. id like to buy more pots but i dont want to give some of these thieving f#@kers a x mas present at my expense . callum if you fish the place out theres always pub meals like manchild said .