Thread: Tiger Wrap Step by step

Tiger Wrap Step by step

Anyone got a link to a step by step Tiger Wrap? for us new to these salt water spin thingies? :-)
    There are 10 types of people in this world
    "those that understand binary and those that don't"

Re: Tiger Wrap Step by step

Walldog,
    I've never seen any complete tutorials except in Rodmaker magazine.

It goes something like this.

1: Take two highly contrasting threads and wrap them onto your rod side by side. Black & White, or black & Yellow seem popular. Make this wrap very loose as you need to be able to push it around a lot.
    To start, wrap only the black for a while until you get it going and then introduce the white beside it. Finish the same way.

2: When you cover the area you want it on, you need to burnish it in different directions so you get wavy lines all over. You want S shapes etc everywhere.

3: Apply colour preserver if required and when dry apply at least four coats of epoxy. You need to have distance between the base wrap and the top wrap in order for the moire effect to work.

4: When the epoxy has set, choose two more threads for the top layer. One of these is going to stay on the rod and become the main color you see. The other is purely sacrificial and will be removed.
    So you might choose say a bright blue to keep and a red or something to drop. Just make sure they are both the same size as the bottom threads.

5: Begin wrapping these threads the same way as before but from the opposite direction. So if your base thread was wrapped from left to right, then these should be done right to left. Start the same way using just the blue for a few turns and introduce your sacrificial thread. Just make sure you don't lock the sacrificial thread down!

6: When you have covered the base threads with the top threads, carefully remove the sacrificial thread, making sure not ti disturb the other one as it must remain uniform for best effect. I think some people hit it with a hair dryer first and lett it cool to "set" the reads in the epoxy underneath.

7: Apply your top epoxy.

I've only tried this a couple of times and haven't had one I'm happy with yet.
    The first time I used metallic underwraps and metallic top wrap. Looks fantastic inside, but it bright sunlight the effect dissappears completely.
    The other used "C" thread as the base and "A" metallic on top.
    It didn't work at all. I think the different spacing of threads buggered it.

I think it's a great way of jazzing up a butt easily. I've seen some people do it on guides, but I reckon the bulk on the tip end guides would be too much.

Because it's relatively quick to do, you can practice on an old blank or piece of dowel first.
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Hi Walldog,

I looked around for a tutorial on tiger wraps. I found these to go with what Owen already wrote. It's a step by step with pics. Two parts. Hope they help.

http://pierandsurf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46344

http://pierandsurf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46370

EC
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

I just finished one done by the 'Owen Principle' and it came out great mate
    As you move the rod in the sun it looks as though the pattern is moving up and down the rod and changes the shape of the pattern.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

So where's the pics?

Not my principal mate. As I said I haven't had one work under all conditions yet
    I think I outsmarted myself by trying to get too fancy.
    As a rod builder I'm still a pretty good welder
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

here
    Taken at different angles but you can't see much
    As a rodbuilder or welder I make a pretty good scone baker (can't really do that either)
    Last edited by finga; 18-12-2007 at 10:36 AM.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

just another idea i have been using metallic pens (enemal) to colour my rolls of thread in various patterns befor i start binding when bound onto the rod you get some excellent tiger effects just remember to re colour the thread every second layer with enemal pens if using a permenent marker every 3-4 layers
    as a rod builder welder or scone maker i bake a half decent loak of bread

Here's one I did a little while ago. Pays to make your base threads as loose as you can get away with and burnish like crazy to get them looking decent. Then work the tool back and forth in lines to get a wave happening in the base. Once you take off the reveal thread it comes up a treat!

hi guys
    love the look of the tiger stripe , have been practicing it on old sections .
    just wondering how you get the marbeling effect surfcat got in the post from the other forum looks great
    cheers

Hiya fish-outtta-water.
    Here is a guide from Rodbuilders' library.
    http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/marble.html
    Cheers.