Thread: 2 strokes phased out

2 strokes phased out

heard that there trying to phase out 2stroke motors on qld freshwater dams, has any one else heard anything and how can they do this, there would be thousands of boat owners having to buy new 4 stroke motors . cheers bdowdy...brett

Re: 2 strokes phased out

I think they would be aiming at electric motors rather than 4 stroke, as a number of dams already allow only boats with electric motors. Clarendon, Cooby & Wivenhoe allow only electric and some dams allow only non-powered boats.

Been hearing that over ten years ago when honda first release a range different size 4st outboards

just sounds like major hassles if there trying to make everyone use 4 strokes on freshwater dams.cheers bdowdy

I'd be happy to see the noisy bastards banned. Serenity NOW!!!!

After 2010 at lenthalls all 2 strokes banned except for DI tohatsus and etechs.Intill then max of 6hp strokes allowed and max of 60 hp 4 stroke or etech etc.
    At least they have given prior notice of changes.
    Cheers
    Ray
    Last edited by rayken1938; 16-12-2007 at 11:37 AM. Reason: more

this comes up from time to time, they MAY slowly make old carby 2 strokes not allowed in some places but modern 2 strokes will be OK for ever, it has been that way in the USA for years now!

It depends on what the impoundment is used for...If the impoundment is used for irrigation purposes, you are allowed to use combustion motors. If the impoundment is for water supply then (most of the time) it will be electric only. There arent many impoundments that I can think of that gets used for water supply and allows the use of combustion engines.

On my last trip to Borumba (which is used for irrigation only) I was talking to the owner of Borumba Deer Park and he said that over the next few years they will be converting Borumba Dam over to water supply (hence the raising of the dam wall by 19 mtrs). Now when (not if) this happens, will we still be allowed to run combustion motors on there...this might turn into another whinge fest like Lake Lenthalls did.

But as for the 2 stroke debate...remember they said that leaded run cars would be phased out...there are still plenty of them on the road.

Interesting, but wonder whether just another rumour.

Saw that info in regard to Lenthalls, but haven't heard anything in regard to the other impoundments. Think that info would be available if thats what is happening.

Does anyone have a proper source for this rumour.

Regards

Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

hi tev thats what i want to know as ive just bought anew tinny and it has amariner 40hp 2 stroke which hasnt even done 10 hours.cheers bdowdy..brett

I have herd this rumour so many times and the answer is nobody knows when or where or whatever, the trend has been spoken about many times and Yes they will most likley phase them out but only when they stop making them altogether.

Sorry trev still not a propper source though....

TT

I remember reading in a boating magazine that the UK was banning 2 stroke outboard engines. I have found the attached article on the net that mentions that the UK EPA was introducing minimum pollution standards as from 2006 that only 4 Stroke motors could meet.

http://www.boatingteam.co.uk/articles/45

It would appear from the link below that the previous Government also had this agenda on the table and I am sure that it will not go away under the current government. It will give the Possum Police something else to do.

http://www.ferret.com.au/c/Honda-MPE...ke-ban-n676430

PS: It will also give us a good excuse not to mow the lawns.
    Last edited by Mayney; 17-12-2007 at 11:01 PM.

Don't be too worried about what the UK Gov is doing, cut from a Uk web site.

The RCD has no effect on motors in use prior to the implementation of the new standard – these can continue to be used until they fall apart – and doesn’t affect the sale of second hand units. You will also be able to buy an engine banned by the EU2006 standard after 2006. The regulations state that any engine held in stock by EU importers or dealers are exempt, as if they had been sold before the standard was imposed.

I'm sure the law will change here one day as well but to aviod paying out any comp it will be rolled out in a similar way. In fact as other countries go down this road and Aus lags behind we could get a heap of bargin 2strokes flooding our market.
    Cheers
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike Delisser; 18-12-2007 at 12:13 AM.

Actually I see the use of the OEDA engine certification standard by Wide Bay Water ( Lenthalls Dam) as a positive step forward.
    Whilst it does phase out old 2 strokes there is a 3 year time period.
    I see the use of this standard will allow leverage to be applied to other water authorities to allow the use of 4 strokes and DI 2 strokes to waters that do not allow petrol powered motors.
    Just think how this would open up Wivenhoe even if a 6 knot speed restriction was in place.
    Cheers
    Ray

I think it is a step in the right direction but will take a long time for the old 2 stroke motors to die off completely.
    Paul
    PS - Leigh77 Borumba is actually Noosa's Water supply indirectly.
    What they do is release the water in to Yabba Creek then a pump station down stream pumps it to Noosa and surrounding areas.