Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mud Island Novice

Re: Mud Island Novice

Croangler,

There are plenty of better mud fisherman on this site than me and plenty who get out there a lot more than me as well. Generally I find the Northeastern corner to be the best - as others have said tho - generally very busy.

If thats the case I have had some decent trips just drifting on the northern side or drifting from the shallows out towards Moreton in the eastern bay. This also enables you to cover a bit more ground - only problem is gives rise to a few more snags.

Good luck - it is a beatiful place to be on a nice glassy day.

Cheers
    NMT

I have however read reports of decent catch also on the north western side.

Thank you for all your help guys,

On Friday I spent all afternoon, setting the boat up, charging the battery and getting a whole selection of baits for the fish on Saturday morning. I put the baits in the freezer so in the morning I don’t need to go to a petrol station to buy bait.
    On Saturday I woke up, picked up the bag what I thought was bait out of my freezer and took off towards fisherman’s island. I took of towards Mud Island around 5 am from the fisherman’s island boat ramp. As I don’t have a GPS yet, I just went straight to the north-eastern side of the island. There were about 10 boats parked and it seemed pretty quiet. I normally fish with both soft plastics and bait. I sat down and proceeded to open the bag to take the bait out, and to my horror i have accidentally taken the wrong bag, this bag contained a whole chicken that my missus wanted to cook for Christmas. I thought to myself “here we go”. So I cut up the chicken and used it as bait. (no luck with the chicken though) so I resorted to using soft plastics and I caught 3 nice bream and an undersize parrot fish.

even tho the fishing trip started off pretty ordinary, I still caught something which was a bonus.

I probably will go again next Saturday so hopefully I get the right bait.

Also, for soft plastic I used my bream gear, which worked well, however, I thought If I caught something decent I would have been in trouble.

Thank you again you are a great bunch of people.

Thanks Lea

Lea you really have to get yourself out there earlier, slide the boat min at 3.40 am at least, 5 am and most of the bigger fish have taken off from boat trafic ect, early bird gets the worm mate.

i will make an effort next weekend, i herad they bite from about 3am to just after sunrise.