Thread: How To Start My Own Dam?

Question How To Start My Own Dam?

Hey Ausfishers

how do u start your own dam?, does ther need to be a certain type of terrain, like rocky or clay? how does the oxygen get into the water so the fish can live? are most dams likely to get excess weed growth? is it important to have a run off drainage system for when it floods (if it ever does again!)?

i have more Q's but thes are the major ones. my reason for asking all these questions is because one day i am goin to have my own dam hopefully , i am still young but i want to learn as much as possible for the future.
    so any infomation you have to give me i will take it in for sure.

thanks fellow fishers!

cam
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

Re: How To Start My Own Dam?

hmmm isn't lookin good

cam

I'm no expert cammy however I had a look at a link that Chimo posted about this subject that seems to be well worth a read ;-)

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/dpi/nrenin...E?OpenDocument

Cheers
    Tony

Yeh Chimo's the man Cammy. He's given me some good advice in my thread about my little dam. Clay soil is what is needed for water retention. Heaps of other variables that will affect it. The shape of the land has a lot to do with the style of dam you can achieve too. Shallower dams are more likely to have weed problems, due to light penetration.

thanx guys, i thought i went through all the pages on here, but it looks like i missed one. i didnt mention i wanted fish in it either, so yer im looking at just the usual fish like bass and goldens, plus others. but thanx for the info and address, im am looking at it right now.

if anyone els has anymore infomation they want to give me, feel free.

cam