Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poppers for whiting why is clear best?

Poppers for whiting why is clear best?

This is just a question of interest, not a statement. I've been learning all I can about poppers for whiting and one aspect comes out consistently, the colour "clear" definitely stands out, by far, as the most productive in the opinions of most users/ reviewers. My point is this; what does the fish actually 'see' from underneath the surface popper while looking upwards through water, what causes them to attack (or see) clear more than any other colour? Do some fish, such as whiting, 'see' other colours as threatening, in some way? If the clear popper has no actual colour to attract/ excite such as whiting perhaps it's really the break in the surface tension of the water caused by the motion of the popper that's critical? Perhaps motion is much more important than either colour or shape. Nippers seem to be about the most favoured food of whiting and a whiting, looking upwards through water, attracted by the break in surface tension by the popper, may 'see' the clear popper as a struggling nipper. Looking upwards through water at the underbelly of a nipper there wouldn't be any 'colour' to see, it would be clear or a sort of opaqueish white. Maybe the ideal would be to remove all visible colour (for whiting) and concentrate on motion and water disturbance. Any thoughts on this from anyone?

Re: Poppers for whiting why is clear best?

I think it's more a fact of whiting feed on smallish translucent fish. the clear poppers resemble them. Match your bait to what the fish are feeding on.
    Last edited by Flattie Assassin; 10-12-2007 at 09:06 AM. Reason: speelzings

yep, I agree with that one, small Prawns and stuff are almost invisible (to us anyway) and anything that resembles natural bait is almost always better, even Pink Nippers are see through to a degree!

Have always thought they they are as curiously aggresive as any pelegic fish I have seen. I did't know that clear would work best until I read it here.

Clear biro would make a good starting point for a home made lure/popper I would guess.

From past ecperience spinning with very small freshwater spinners and popping with home made poppers it is the disturbance (like you said) and the thrill of a chase with the nip at the end that hooks them.

cheers fnq

hey mate,check out blooeys posts on estury reports,he has been blitzing them on clear poppers,he has it down pat.he uses only clear poppers for them
    If i could get paid the same to fish, sorry boss but i ......!

In Steve Starling's dvd article on this he said the whiting were actually mistaking the poppers for prawns skipping across the surface. As the other boys said, prawns in the water don't have much colour, unlike prawns in the sun for a few hours! Sounds like a reasonable explanation why the clear ones seem to get more hits....Now I just have to get a whiting to hit one.
    Joel
    Fishing for the thrill, not for the kill

For my personal 2 cents worth, I think that clear poppers are catching so many fish at the moment because everyone's throwing clear poppers..........

The reason everyone's throwing clear is because that's what Steve Starling was using on the fishing DVD. I think it's as much a case of monkey see monkey do. Not to say there is anything wrong with that. Hell I went out and bought the exact popper he used in the DVD.

So who knows, maybe if he had been using bright fluro yellow we'd all be madly rumaging through tackle store looking for fluro yellow poppers. As another example, I never got why everybody think pink is the gun flathead colour. I think it's because somebody did well at the flathead classic one year on pink and ever since then pink gets so much time in the water that it catches the most fish.

Josh

And why Nuc Chooks catch so many Snapper, because everyone uses them. Good point Josh.
    Tim

G'day!

If my dad was still here I reckon he would say "Black horses" to anyone who would listen

If questioned why, he would simply say "black horses eat more than white horses. Cos there is more of them".

Ray De R

Could also relate to the fact that most popping for whiting is being done in broad daylight. Being in the very top level of the water column means that no colour is getting diffused by the water, so the lure has to be as natural as possible and resemble the bait you are attempting to mimic. In this case as everyone has mentioned, prawns/yabbies/teeny baitfish etc. Plus the whitings angle of attack is more of a shallower angle, and it's not really coming up from underneath vertically to hit the sillhouette of the lure. Lower light thru to dark situations, more opaque lures suit surface fishing. To the point where a black lure can be best at night-time, providing a good sillhouette to help the fish find it. I suppose it's all just part of the lure fishing puzzle, sometimes it's best to be as natural as possible, other times you wanna stand out from the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by flairj View Post
    For my personal 2 cents worth, I think that clear poppers are catching so many fish at the moment because everyone's throwing clear poppers..........

Josh
    Nah sorry, don't agree with any of that. I've read articles on popping for whiting from 20 years ago. And it was a homemade popper made out of a clear syringe that was doing all the damage. This wasn't a whole bunch of peeps using the same lure. But an old guy who discovered that whiting liked clear poppers. It's got to do with bait imitation for sure. Not just the fact that everyone is using it. Same with Nuc Chooks. The reason people are using them is because they work. They catch fish. And not just because lots of people are using them. Because they are a good lure.

most fish species are capable of slightly changing their skin pigmentation to blend in with climatic changes/different water conditions, baitfish included. This enables them to blend in with the surroundings better, less likely to be chomped on. On surface lures, it is the lighting conditions that effects the shape and size of the sillhoutte of the lure when looking from underneath and that makes them targeted. If you want to know more about clear lures, check out the QFM annual for this year (it's called "catch") and there is a 6 page article explaining when and where to use clear lures, why they work and how to make them work better for you. They even mention who manufactures clear lures and what style of fishing they should be used for.
    Flttie Assassin, i think i've read the same article on using an old sringe as a popper. Quite fascinating that it has outfished all other varieties of lures.

Anyway i hope this has been of help

Cheers Dav

Agree totally with flattie assassin on this one.
    The clear poppers most definetly work better....I had a fish for whiting with two mates on mine last weekend....I had a clear one on and they were using coloured poppers....I had a heap more hits than they did and caught more whiting.
    Not saying others dont work BUT the clear seems to do an excellent job.

Pete

i need to see this syringe popper real bad, can ya find the artical 4 me please assasin
    figjam :wink:

Smile Re: Poppers for whiting why is clear best?

Cripes
    I did'nt know fishing was so addictive you end up using a syringe