Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Monduran Barra - Etiquette

Re: Monduran Barra - Etiquette

Theo you are on the money mate, Jacks are at the top of the food chain at a meter long the barra simply dodge them as they will most certainly attack for territory, and with teeth at around 1.5 to 2 cm long they could wound if not kill a barra of equal size, hence why they seem to do well on the reef.

Barra are a huge asset to our shores and impoundment barra are the most popular thing to say the least at this moment in time. They are a draw card, why put Jacks into any dam thats already bring hundreds from all over it will only clog ramps and cause more kaos then there already is.

TT
    Last edited by Tropicaltrout; 10-12-2007 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Awoonga View Post
    But wait theres more
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropicaltrout View Post
    Hey fitzy Thats not a bad idea If you would to keep a fish say it was dammaged and you don't eat it or you are simply a catch and keep person you take it back fillet it then hand your fillets to the kiosk at Awoonga, or Monduran for distrobution to local places of charity . If that would work but probably not if there's any legal stuff involved .

I don't know what a good answer is really with the catch and keepers, just be greatful that Masa is restocking, and for Brag mats who cares, they simply indicate the excitement of the fisho at the time he catches that fish of a life time!

I think Barramundi fishing is one of the best things in the world, wether it be salt or fresh, who care the size, it would not bother any bloke travelling from near and far to catch these magic fish, just to see that tail walk and trying to stop that fish of a life time from busting you off in the snags is enough to raise the heart rate of anyone. I reckon we all would agree not matter what we are all big winners having these fish in our backyard for all to enjoy.

Nath
    Couldn't of said it better if i tried.

Quote Originally Posted by nipsta View Post
    so long as you are doing the right thing ands sticking to the bag limits and size limits the no one should attack you . just cause they belive putting them back is the best thing to do. if i remeberin onof the fishing dvd where matrix and starlo are catching fish at awonga i rember steve syaing if you want to take one there nothing wrong with that but he like to put them back so( persoanal choice ) just remeber personal choice and you shloud not be crictical of other that want to keep one .
    Thats right there is nothing wrong with keeping Barra for a feed. These dams are put and take, quite simply!
    This is not the issue though!
    The issue is that is absolute horse sheet to think you are doing the place a favour by taking the big fish out.
    I have no issue whatsoever with anyone who wants to keep fish for a feed.

No individual has the right to tell you that you are doing the wrong thing by keeping Barra to eat. If they do tell em to get stuffed and mind their own buisness.

Keeping fish for a feed vs keeping fish because people think its the best thing for the fishery is worlds apart.
    There is a clear difference.
    Cheers
    Jas

Well said Jas, I couldn't agree more. No one has issues with people killing their legal quota as long as they intend to eat them, but to kill a fish, that you don't intend to eat just because someone told you to kill the big fish is ridiculous. Why kill a metre+ fish to supposedly save a few fingerlings that will take 8-10 years to grow to a metre when you already have that metre plus fish in your lap. Just let her go and you don't have to wait 10 years for her replacement to grow up to that size. cheers scott.

I spose this is the right thread to post this bad news, just came back from the best 4 days ever at awoonga and before i got to the dam stoped in to pick up the last lure needed at the caravan park shop where the lady there informed me that they have recently been finding some big barra dumped in there bins around the park (unfillited).

I did'nt hang around long enough to go into detail about which bins or how many but the look on her face said it all.

i spent the next 4 days on the dam, releasing all fish caught, as this news slowly sunk in, trying to work out the mentality of these people and after 4 days still could not work it out. if anyone could give me an answer, would be greatly apreciated,

On a good note seen a 50cm mangrove jack at the ramp, what a beautiful fish.bren

Quote Originally Posted by bchaser View Post
    I spose this is the right thread to post this bad news, just came back from the best 4 days ever at awoonga and before i got to the dam stoped in to pick up the last lure needed at the caravan park shop where the lady there informed me that they have recently been finding some big barra dumped in there bins around the park (unfillited).

I did'nt hang around long enough to go into detail about which bins or how many but the look on her face said it all.
    A regular occurance mate. You got to hear about it once and look how it made you feel.
    Locals up here see/hear about it like its the norm, hence the strong feelings.

As you say the fishing has been sensational, just finished filming a segment for the fishing dvd on topwater daytime Barra.
    Landed fish up to 119cm on surface lures during the day, absolute mental surface strikes, all in shallow water.
    Will be a cracker.

Cheers
    Jas

Could not imagine Jas, i spose they've justified it in there own head for some reason and posibly think there doing the right thing, but the info they have used to obtain this opinion is no where to be found so i guess it is a mentality passed on from one dick to another.

surley someone who visits this site must see the general view of others, would be good for one of them to stand up and explain to us as to WHY! even if they dont do it any more, just to show what they were thinking at the time.bren

From my experience with the stocking group at conferences etc, the greatest predation of bubby barra is by mouth almighties, banded grunter, catfish & sleepy cod. I hope those who have this crazy idea about killing big barra are consistent and also have a float line out for those other barra munching vermin!!!! Will we see these other species in the bins and resting on top of fence posts?? Imagine a six inch banded grunter sitting on a sign post, testimony to those protectors of juvenile barra. God bless them, every one.
    Ray

Mayney... sorry about the Hijack of your post ...But as you can see... Strong feelings here... 7 Pages... 98 replys so far... over 2000 views... Good to see some strong debate on the matter.......Merry Christmas everybody...

Was thinking that myself Trev. Good to see the healthy debate though no need for the name calling guys, I've never seen a stocking group so intouch with "their" local community.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by bchaser View Post
    Could not imagine Jas, i spose they've justified it in there own head for some reason and posibly think there doing the right thing, but the info they have used to obtain this opinion is no where to be found so i guess it is a mentality passed on from one dick to another.

surley someone who visits this site must see the general view of others, would be good for one of them to stand up and explain to us as to WHY! even if they dont do it any more, just to show what they were thinking at the time.bren
    I have a brother in law that keeps big barra to show off to friends and family, but when gets back to the boat ramp , is too f.......ing lazy to fillet them. He just doesnt get it. Such a waste, take a photo and release.We 're not there for the kill, its the hunt that is the rush.

yes i agree and it look like everyone else agrees as well now welll all need to save our dollars so we can go agian (that is for us unlucky bugger who live away from the dam you fellows that live close im jealous but thats ok i going get up there as much as i can now that i have replace my live fibre rod i broke last trip bring on the barrra i say oh yeah of course monduran trout as well

Quote Originally Posted by Awoonga View Post
    Mayney... sorry about the Hijack of your post ...But as you can see... Strong feelings here... 7 Pages... 98 replys so far... over 2000 views... Good to see some strong debate on the matter.......Merry Christmas everybody...
    Awoonga,

I was satisified after Foxie's responce (Post 2) and Peter4's comments (Post 3), but as you indicated it has been a good debate although we lost our way sometimes.

I was surprised that there appeared to be no comments from Stocking Associations representatives, but I may have missed it.

My summary now is that:

Ausfish is a great sounding board and there are many experts out there prepared to share their knowledge.

The MASA is doing a great job and should be applauded.

Most of us agree that "Let the Big Ones Go!" is the way.

Only keep one if you are really hungry and tollerate fellow fishers who do.

A minority agree in killing the big barra. (they most probably also have gun licences). Although the principle of Put and Take has some validity - but are the takers the putters??. Cheap fish for the cost of an SIP licence

Most of us (and the fish) would benefit from education in the correct handling of the big fish.

Finally, Monduran is a great place to be. Fifty trailers on the ramp mid week when I was there.

Save a big one for me.

Cheers

Mayney

G/Day Mayney,
    Why would the people who kill the big Barra for what ever reason they choose to justify the action most probally have a gun licence as well. What makes the people with a gun licence more likely to want to kill anything at all for that matter whether it be fish or any other living creature, just curious that's all

Gary

Ah Mungindi

Got to love fishing. Doesn't matter what species

Cheers and Merry XMAS to you and yours

Mayney