Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Save Moreton Bay Rally

Re: Save Moreton Bay Rally

Next time drive into the heart of Brisbane, stop the convoy and walk away. That will make the news for sure and more than 10 seconds.

Stu

The river rally sounds like the ducks guts.
    A showing on the river by all and sundry cant be ignored as it will be an awsome sight and wont upset the public. People may even come to watch if they know about it and we market it properly and prepare.
    Lets get this public opinion thing really working for us. We need to be really conscious of how the press portray us. Its all political and politics is a popularity contest. We need to have the public siding with us.
    The govt wiped us in the press this time with a simple blanket statement about fishing sustainability. Easy. We need to be able to counter these claims somehow.
    Thanks
    stue

we can win this,

even if it means taking shifts, fishing for bull shark across the mouth of the river.
    how many bilions of dollars come through the port, on any givin day?
    we can be within our rights and shut the river down (if need be)

many thanks to the organisers, and that dodgy datsun gearbox!!!!!!!!!

cheers

lippa

well done Chris and Phill..I at least got to the rendevous point between jobs..as good a turn out as I expected to see...well done to all that attended.

Quote Originally Posted by Et the et View Post
    I concur, with all before, great job Chris and Phill.

I think Chris was very professional and really looks the part. Maybe he could/should be our new leader of the Australian Lifestyle Party (whoops - that's ALP)?

And Nuggett was the nail in the coffin.

After starting off very dejected this morning (to my amazement, there was bugger all support from my area - Cleveland/Thornlands) I now feel confident we have something and really look forward to 9 February. I will endeavor to get my APATHETIC area involved as much as possible before the Bris River event.

Merry Xmas to all.

ET
    hi mate - there was a couple of us from the bayside that I know of. we were running late and went straight there instead of catching up on the gateway.

but I did pass one boat on the way back (near home) with ausfish stickers on, that did not attend .... I figured if the boat was on the back of your car, you could have made the effort to support us....

anyway, there are a heap of boats on the bayside and we do need to mobilise many more for the next one. Phill/Chris - I wonder if the VMR's would support us by allowing posters/signage at the ramps or on the VMR buildings? perfect way to reach every boatie i reckon.

cheers,
    Mick

Our passion for fishing and rights to fish brought a lot of us together on a favourable day to be on the water. Very highly commended for those who showed. I only hope that there are not any people who attended who let the bad experiences ie: Heat, traffic snarls, frustration etc. affect their support for the next rally. To better prepared for another road assault I think everyone should be armed with at least a hand held UHF radio so we can keep in touch better and also each vehicle turn on headlights for maximum attraction of interests. If our efforts are in vane I hope for those who opted not to join us but rather hit the water on the day don't whine too much about the closures.
    Great effort once again to all who turned up. Well done!!!! See you at the next one.

Poodroo

Well done to everyone who made the effort ! Of course, more of the same is what we have to do to make sure that we win this one... ...

To those whose passion & commitment (& media contacts) made it happen & on the news - great stuff !

As Nugget has said it's a crying shame that other fishing "celebrities" seem to be very quiet. There are a bunch of people making $$$ out of our interest in fishing & anything fishing related that we should be getting support from - where are the guys from Creek 2 Coast & so on when you need 'em ?

How do we get to the blokes holding the purse strings at BCF ? Get to the boat & accessories manufacturers etc ? They spend one heck of a lot of $$$ (money that originates from us fishing & boating people) promoting the lifestyle experience out in the "Great Outdoors". We need to convince these people that it is in their commercial self-interest to get behind what we are doing.

After all, if we aren't able to get out & fish or it just becomes too hard, or too depressing to be the 300th boat arriving at the last reef we are allowed to throw a line at, then who will be buying the gear, boats etc they want to sell ?

I may be naive - but I'm thinking that if my company is sponsoring half an hour of weekly TV aimed at the recreational fisho market then I would probably be able to get the odd pro recreational fishing access to the Bay message into "my" show... ...

On a final point - what is our position on the MBAA zoning proposals ? OK, I know that a 10% closure is better than 15%... ... but aren't we still going to lose some of the choice spots (especially for the small tinnie people like me) if the MBAA proposals were the ones adopted ?

OK - I'm off to type some letters as my way of keeping the effort going. Something we ALL should be doing - I surprised myself in the week & got my first ever letter into the Courier Mail - so they will print them if we keep sending them in !

Keep the anger ! We can't roll over on this one...

Graham

thanks to Phil and Chirs for organising the rally. I thought the fella from the EPA had some balls showing up, maybe he just didn't know what he was in for!

Top stuff to everyone who turned up and made the effort. Painful driving so slowly through the city, but definitely helped keep the convoy together.

Personally I thought the overall turnup of 150 or so vehicles including cars only was very disappointing. Sure we made an impact but it could have been so much bigger. I went for a fish afterwards and saw heaps of boats on the river. The car park at Fishermans Is was so full they had opened the grassed area and there were trailers along the entrance road. I just think the message has to be a bit clearer and stronger and we have to make sure it gets out to EVERYONE next time.

I have a few ideas I will send to Chris in an email.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

where were all the yakers? They will be one of the groups most affected.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

To be perfectly honest, I though the turn up was PATHETIC (as evidenced by the EPA guy who turned up with 100's of maps and he didn't give half of them away). Well done to everyone who did come, but with this type of turnout we are a laughing stock. Do you really think a couple of hundred vehicles (if it was that many, i would have estimated under 100 boats) would have the EPA shaking in their boots.....more likely falling over laughing that this is the best we can come up with......I went home VERY depressed at where this is all leading

Unless we can get 10 times the amount of people to the next one (which really should be easily achievable if all the tackle shops get involved), the green zones will be set in stone and the review in 5 years will be the final nail in the coffin

Sorry if this upsets anyone, but I'm telling it like it is.

Anyone who went fishing on this day instead of helping out deserves what is coming.........

Yep, reiterate the pats on the back to Chris & Phil for going to great lengths for the benefit of ALL of us!

I, like some though, am a little disappointed we didn't get considerably more people and boats there! NUGGET was on the money when he said "She'll be right won't be right this time!" Take note all! It WON'T be right this time!

I am a little disappointed too that there wasn't a mention in the print media on Sunday either! Not everyone is able to watch the 5pm news on a Saturday but a hell of a lot read the Sunday Mail on a Sunday! We need some more known identities with clout that can get us that exposure, however if we only get the numbers that turned up on Saturday, forget about it!

A similiar slogan used in the run-up to the last election was very successful and eye catching...

'YOUR RIGHTS TO THE BAY - WORTH FIGHTING FOR!!!'

Take Care T
    home is where the loan is...
    Helping people get the RIGHT Home Loan

Thanks to those that attended and those that have made responses here.

All suggestions and thoughts are taken on board and will be given 'air time " in a meeting that is happening soon with a few interested parties.

This is to basically, nut out a plan of attack with people involved that can spread the word to many media outlets and forums.

Even though the numbers were what they were, any marketing type know that for every one that turns up to this many many more are waiting in the wings with support. Like the ratings for tele and radio etc. It is a multiply by X factor.

Similarly putting pen to paper to your local MP, he knows that if one person has written to him, there are many many more that have the same concerns.

I think you'll find over the coming weeks, a program / plan will be made available this will ensure our plight reaches the people that can make a difference.

Thanks again to all that attended.

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Hi All,
    Just thought I'd throw in my 2 bob's worth (thats 20 cents for you young folk).

Lets not get too critical at the turnout and take a more positive approach.

We need to learn from the event to make the next one bigger and the one after bigger again etc untill we achieve our goals. We are Not Under-Achievers and wont take No for an answer. Lets get organised.

I think the crux of the turnout problem is letting people know the rally is on to start with and what it all means if we fail.
    We can pick up a few people by letters on windscreens at boat ramps etc but the majority just dont know the rally is on.

Us Ausfishers are pretty well informed about events etc but the average computer illiterate type fisho just doesnt know anything about the rally's, letters to MP's, etc.

One thing that would help is industry support along the lines of letter handouts at dealerships for them to give their customers (they only need to be photocopied prints that each of us can do on our home or work printers and drop off at our local dealership).
    There's heaps of us so we should be able to identify the problems and come up with ideas to achieve our goals.

Food for thought.
    Cheers
    Stue

I like a lot of fisherman work 6 days a week, why do the rallys have to be on a Saturday. Could it be on a Sunday more people may be able to come along. Holding up bussniss people in traffic will not get them on side. We need the public to understand what the fight is about and have them with us. The people from the Gold and Sunny Coast should try and get involved as well, as you will be NEXT to hit by this crap. OK shoot me down now but think of what I have said please.

my turn.
    this was my first protest and was too for my fishing cohort, but my feeling on the rally is it went great till we reached the city true then the traffic lights timeing broke up the convoy. and by the time we got to the parlament house part of town there was no convoy left! I think it needs a couple laps around the city like the old days of cruzin the city.
    for the floating rally i think we need to cock up the city cats run with a big floating raft of boats just fishing the city reach of the river.
    if we dont cause a scene or interrupt the flow, piss people off. we mite aswell bend over now and let the epa stick a surf rod up your assss.
    we were too nice thats way we didn't get the attention we deserved on TV.
    we dont need to do dangerous things but we need to cause a spectical.
    what about getting those air horn thingies and blast them in unisin at a given time or something?
    i dont know i'm just bouncing ideas here.
    any thoughts??
    cheers Cloud 9
    then it realy gets ughly