Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $300 to spend on a gps

$300 to spend on a gps

I've used the search option on this forum to learn a lot about gps handhelds chartplotters.

Having never used a gps device before its hard for me to know what features I want / need.... hence this post.

Here is what i do know.

1. I have a budget of $300 (and I have no issues buying os).
    2. I want to do some close offshore fishing around Sydney.

Please help... even mentioning a few products to consider would be a helpful start.

thanks in advance.

Re: $300 to spend on a gps

scrape up another $150 and you can purchase the garmin 172c plotter from os. They are a good unit and realy easey to use IMO Polky.

Mate i paid 325 for my Magellen Explorist 100 (probably cheaper now) and it is Great. Very user friendly and durable. Iv lold this story before. But i lost it one day and found it at home in the back of the boat, had been bouncing round in a few inches of salt water. Still turned on so its definately water proof. Seams very accurate and responsive(speed) Its a great little unit and its all i use.
    En el amor y la guerra, todo hueco es trinchera.

check importing price.......i got my gear for less than half what i would have paid here......there is a bloke called bonzaimports or ############# he is worth a look.

must be the second one spelt with er

also have a look at www.threeriversmarine.com
    look at their range & shoot them an email with an enquiry as to price inc postage with USPS, they usually do better than advertised price. Good to deal with & fast service..

do price conversion here http://www.xe.com/

Garmin 72 is a good hand held.

agree with cheech, the garmin 72 is a great hand held unit, every thing you need and then some, retails around the 270 mark in oz
    cheers
    brian

Try Scuba Steve great prices and great service.

thanks for the replies.

is a chartplotter the same as a gps with a map?

how important is this feature?

also, do the basic handheld units have 12 volt chargers?

generally they dont come with chargers, the basic ones just take aa batteries which last over 10 hrs generally

Quote Originally Posted by vector View Post
    generally they dont come with chargers, the basic ones just take aa batteries which last over 10 hrs generally
    can anyone recommend a model with the 12v charger option?

I brought a hard wire kit for my garmin72, bout 20 bucks and just wired it into the boats wireing loom, easy as and I can un plug the unit when ever I need to for quick removal. Mate has got a car cigy lighter kit that fits the 72 as well, or you could just buy rechargeable batteries??

cheers
    brian

I left my handheld on the nose of my boat a few years back at the boatramp (just hope the trailer wheels went over it when it fell off). I searched on ebay and found there was quite a range on there. As long as you stick to the well known ones you're right. I picked up a magellan, it was 2nd hand hand but like new, can't remember how much it was but I bought it so it must have been a good deal.

Cheers
    Kezza