Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brisbane River Mid Reaches

Brisbane River Mid Reaches

Hi

Lots of people fish from the Gateway down, and some fish around Colledges, but you don't hear much about fishing between say Yeronga up to Indooroopilly. Looks OK, rocks, mangroves etc, but I think it has been well dredged over the years, so no sand banks.

Are there no fish in these reaches of the river, or is it just that there are no ramps to launch boats

Whichway

Re: Brisbane River Mid Reaches

Mate that's where I'd be throwing my pots.

I often hear of people catching sharks in this area during the period of October to February

Louis

used to get whiting and bream and perch anddddd the obligatory catfish behind pauls milk factory at the outlet pipe. Plus at Dutton Park there were bream amd muddies galore. Heard people used to catch jew there as well.

This is area is great.
    Recent cathes include an 80cm Estuay Cod.
    Jacks, Big Eye Trevs, the occasional Jewy and loads of threaddies.

Angus

Quote Originally Posted by Bris_Vegas View Post
    This is area is great.

Angus
    Threadies ?? You mean sammon? Your kidding me right?

i fish the middle brissy alot, lots of catties ofcorse, eels, mudcrabs,sharks, but also bream, flathead,Big and small threadfin salmon, stingrays, mullet, plenty of prawns this is around the jindalee area. Fish the edges of the river for the quallitty fish like bream, flathead, threadfin ect in the deeper parts it is mainly cattys but there is also threadys out there and ofcourse bullies. Crabs can be a problem especcialy when sharking.. Theres more species but thats what ive caught.

Quote Originally Posted by nowornever View Post
    Threadies ?? You mean sammon? Your kidding me right?

i dont think hes kidding...i caught one about 2kg on sunday in the middle reaches
    theres some very big ones in the river up to 15kg

Quote Originally Posted by Bris_Vegas View Post
    This is area is great.

Angus
    jacks, trevs, big cod in the river????maybe near the mouth but that seems a bit too good to be true for the middle reaches of the river.
    wheres abouts is the factory?
    much appreciated
    cheers connor

Quote Originally Posted by bballfisho View Post
    jacks, trevs, big cod in the river????maybe near the mouth but that seems a bit too good to be true for the middle reaches of the river.
    wheres abouts is the factory?
    much appreciated
    cheers connor
    There is an old jetty/dock thing near the old power house near Tennyson. Good Jacks and Jew have come out of there.

And "kidding about salmon" hahahaha. They are one of the more common catches lately.

PM me if you plan on heading out in that section of the river i am often out and about.

Angus

Hi

Great response thanks.

Can you use lures or is it too muddy

Whichway

Bris Vegas
    Lived at Yeronga and fished that area for 50+ years and have never seen or caught Jacks, Jew, etc ...ever. (Except back in the 50's/60's when we got the run every year of schoolies/perch/mullet etc)
    Made a lot of smoke money out of the sharks at the old powerhouse spillway. Used to get 2 pence a pound from the fish shops around Annerley and Wooloongabba. Caught hundreds of them in the hot water coming out of the powerhouse. Actually had a photo in the Courier Mail of a big Bronzie we caught there and had to get the powerhouse workers to pull it out for us with a tractor...
    God...the good old days.
    Caught MANY muddies there but as i say...50 years ago
    (And stay away cause thats my bailiwick..chuckle)

The river is pretty deep and salty a long way up if the flows are low so nothing would surprise me.

With the dredging ceased and most of the gravel processing gone I expect the river would be cleaning up nicely.

I remember seeing small solo prawn boats trawing around the bend & up past the customs house in the eighties.

I've been thinking about all this myself too......... there is now a nice big sand bank under the story bridge.

I recon under the old warves in the hamilton reach would have to be worth a look...... there is always pelicans hanging arround there.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by GAFYM View Post
    Bris Vegas
    Lived at Yeronga and fished that area for 50+ years and have never seen or caught Jacks, Jew, etc ...ever. (Except back in the 50's/60's when we got the run every year of schoolies/perch/mullet etc)
    Made a lot of smoke money out of the sharks at the old powerhouse spillway. Used to get 2 pence a pound from the fish shops around Annerley and Wooloongabba. Caught hundreds of them in the hot water coming out of the powerhouse. Actually had a photo in the Courier Mail of a big Bronzie we caught there and had to get the powerhouse workers to pull it out for us with a tractor...
    God...the good old days.
    Caught MANY muddies there but as i say...50 years ago
    (And stay away cause thats my bailiwick..chuckle)
    Yeah a couple of years ago all i would ever catch were Bream, Catties and Flatties. However since i saw my first salmon caught about 2 years ago its been a more and more common appearance. Now its a couple a trip, as well as many more quality species.

A good sign for the river as a whole id say.

Angus

Quote Originally Posted by oldboot View Post
    The river is pretty deep and salty a long way up if the flows are low so nothing would surprise me.

With the dredging ceased and most of the gravel processing gone I expect the river would be cleaning up nicely.

I remember seeing small solo prawn boats trawing around the bend & up past the customs house in the eighties.

I've been thinking about all this myself too......... there is now a nice big sand bank under the story bridge.

I recon under the old warves in the hamilton reach would have to be worth a look...... there is always pelicans hanging arround there.

cheers
    Hamilton Reach is a top spot.
    Lots of Cod and the odd Squire.
    Gavin Dunne in a recent fishing seminar also mentioned its prime Salmon territory.

As for the prawn trawlers, there plenty of prawns. We sometimes its hit and miss, but on a good run we can get kilos of really big bananna prawns. They are consistant throughout the whole river as well from the mouth all the way to Kookaburra park. Middle reaches wise you can always get some either unde rthe indooroopilly bridge, or the mouth of oxley creek. As prawns eat pretty crappy stuff, i usually opt to use them for bait (the best Salmon bait in my opinion). But i know plenty of guys who eat them and love them.

We have actually caught a few calamari there as well in the cast net. I have been told that calamari have a low tolerance for polution so this also must be a good thing.

Angus