Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Brisbane River Mid Reaches

Re: Brisbane River Mid Reaches

Hmm yeh, 15 years is a long time in a river of this size..... & I do have good hopes for it.

15 years ago...... there is no way I would eat anything comming out of the river.

But I believe and hope there has been a world of change since then.

Yeh I to wonder what it would cost or how it could be done otherwise to get some water and fish samples tested.

I'm sure the assembled posted would be happy to do the hard and labourous work to gather the samples

It would be so much more credible to say to the missus....."I'm just off down the river to do some scientific research"

As I mentined before, the NEW enviromental outlook has jumped up and down on a lot of traditional poluters.

I recon the constant dredging may actualy have benifits in that it will have not allowed large amountst of river bottom residues to accumulate.
    (the banks will be another story).

The oxley crrek is still a concern it snakes thru miles of old industrial land....... not to mention willawong.

hmmm yeh..... it would be nice to know.

I supose all we have for now is our eyes, ears and noses....... to make our own observations.

cheers

From the report card Oxley scores an F (the lowest).

You're right the smaller the fish/shark the lower amounts of polluntants, theoretically speaking that is. You would also have to take into account where the fish/shark had been living/feeding. Same goes for mud crabs, but they are fairly solitary and secondly they feed off detritus and dead fish on the bottom.

To undertake a sampling and store samples wouldn't cost so much. Neither would testing for heavy metals. But the more troublesome organics, PCBs and halogenated compounds maybe more costly and lengthy to process.

I'm really hoping someone does it, because you wouldn't want a situation like Sydney harbor where there are signs here and there. Nothing to eat west of the bridge, hey?

But...we're already there.

Regards

Office Worker #1 who frequently takes long "lunch breaks" with a 7' berkley dropshot and SPs

I can just see it...... bloke in a 3 piece suit, rod & reel in one hand, tackle box in the other riding the lift down at waterfront place the looks would be precious.

Tackle box in the bottom drawer and a rod leaning up behind the ststionery cupboard.

What have you caught.

My be we should have a city reaches meet & greet at 5:30 one afternoon

cheers

Attachment 18264
    Got this healthy 34cm bream accross the river from the Regatta at Hill End, plenty of fun! Saw a Vietnamese family pull in six 1metre bull sharks from the same spot
    Last edited by aceman253; 29-12-2007 at 05:16 PM.