Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spearfishing?

spearfishing?

Can anybody tell me anything about spearfishing? I have been hearing bits and pieces around, I love snorkeling and fishing so why not combine the two?? From what I’ve seen you grab your self a spear gun head out to a reef and your away? But is there clubs or groups where I could hookup with some people that know what there doing! I not total sure weather I think it fishing or hunting yet but I think the option to selectively fish must be a good thing as long as all rules and limits are respected. Any info would be great thanks gazza

Re: spearfishing?

basically that all there is to it, but you've got to be careful before you shoot because the water can sometimes make the fish look bigger than it actually is

Also if you do spearfish, as a safety precaution make sure you have long rope and a float behind you so you can thread your fish on and not your diving belt, if there are any sharks around they will be attracted to the fish on the line and not your stomache. I've been there and done it and took a calculated risk in my younger years. I don't have the lung capacity to go deep these days, but I'd love to catch some painted crayfish with a spear, under Qld Fisheries Regs, they are the only ones you can take with a speargun, any other cray is by hand for recreational spearos or divers. Scott nth Qld is also correct, the fish tend to be 1/5 larger and closer than what they are, this is due to parallex error (refraction) between the face mask and your quarry. Hope this might help you abit. Peter

Go with some people who know what they are doing.
    There are dangers to holding your breath, you can black out unexpectedly,,, not a good thing 20 ft underwater.

Heres a link Gazza. Should get you informed on the local scene etc.

http://www.spearfishing.com.au/

Hi Gazza

Just one other thing mate if it is'nt too late already about the length of gun you choose. I do a lot of stuff from the rocks and in the suds which sometimes can be disorienting at times, and dangerous at others!

I reccomend you look at a gun over the 4' 6" or over mark this way you will not only get good accuracy and range but you will find it almost impossible to shoot yourself in the foot with this size unless you are 7' tall, don't laugh it happens plenty with the pneumatic and other shorter models.

I use a stumpy occasionally in the right place and they are useful but they have their place and that is not in a beginners hands.

Hope you find this useful

Cheers Gleeeza

Quote Originally Posted by rando View Post
    Go with some people who know what they are doing.
    There are dangers to holding your breath, you can black out unexpectedly,,, not a good thing 20 ft underwater.
    G'day Rando. The only time one can get blackouts is when one hyper-ventilates. At other times it depends on ones personal medical and fitness level.

I have 4 professional licences, Divemaster was the last, still hold and use rescue diver quals at times.

Nevertheless there is always danger once underwater but is minimised if one takes precautions.

The only major thing that I had go wrong (on a few occasions) is when you get the "fish of a life time" swim past, like a few massive queenies for example...and you miss the killshot...then you find yourself being dragged to wherever they want to swim. Always have your cutters at an easy reach, just in case.

That was also a good point about the length of the gun...it sounds silly, near impossible, but accidental firing is common.

Quote Originally Posted by gleeeza View Post
    Hi Gazza

Just one other thing mate if it is'nt too late already about the length of gun you choose. I do a lot of stuff from the rocks and in the suds which sometimes can be disorienting at times, and dangerous at others!

I reccomend you look at a gun over the 4' 6" or over mark this way you will not only get good accuracy and range but you will find it almost impossible to shoot yourself in the foot with this size unless you are 7' tall, don't laugh it happens plenty with the pneumatic and other shorter models.

I use a stumpy occasionally in the right place and they are useful but they have their place and that is not in a beginners hands.

Hope you find this useful

Cheers Gleeeza

G'day Gleeeza,

I can relate to what you said there. I still have an "Undersea" Bazooka Type II Speargun, twin rubbers (need replacement at times) I'd like to use it now and again but would like to go with another spearo, (safety in numbers for me).

I use to have a smaller one that was ideal for catching painted crayfish (I've lost that one. a few years ago).

Are you still active in the scene? Also is there any crays in shallow water you have come accross or know where they are? I wouldn't mind teaming up one day. Gone are the days for rough sea diving for me now, only relatively calm with good vis. Let me know if you're interested. Peter

GazzaB,

Also do a google search for AUF (Australian Underwater Federation) they are also tied up with Octpush (Underwater Hockey). I used to be a member and was good for building up endurance and burning calories big time. There might be local clubs near you and they also produce a spearfishing magazine for paying members. Peter

anothr tip for you, instead of attaching the float line to your belt, attach it to the gun instead, it may seem like a pain at first but as Leigh said, if you miss the killshot of a fish of a life time, you won't get dragged, just let the gun go, swim to the surface and follow the float along the top. The gun will stay attached to the line if the correct links are used, and hopefully, the fish didn't manage to slip free.

Having the line to your gun also has other benefits, when you thread captured fish on the line, they become an easy target for sharks. Once off Shellharbour NSW, a mate of mine had his line tied to his belt and a Grey nurse decided it was hungry, grabbed the fish on the line and dove straight down, taking my mate along for the ride. The fish eventually broke and the float was released, but a very scary and very dangerous 60seconds. From then we came up with the idea of attaching it to our guns, where the same principle works, if a shark grabs your catch and decides he wants to swim away, let go of the gun. If the line breaks or is bitten through I'd rather lose a gun than be suck down deep desperate for air. A few hundred bucks or your life? Easy decision if you ask me.

go do another sport, we need less spearfisherman out there

Gazza b
    Try sending doug hanning a pm he,s the guru on this site for spearfishing.
    Cheers
    Cougarman

G'day Swaters,

Dont assume it's a sport like soccer or cricket or tag and release like Marlin fishing. Most fishos donate to charity and to poor communities in club comps. The other reason that spearos spear fish is for personal consumption, called food. One can pick and choose whereas on a fishing line one cannot pick and choose. Which is the non-discriminatory of the two

Hi Bondy

Mate I still get out and about but with age comes limitations and I also like easy water and good visability. I can't spear crays down here on the far north coast of NSW, I have to stick my paw into holes and duke it out with wobbies for a feed of cray. Go for a swim with you if you are down this way for sure. In thailand getting my choppers done at the moment but back in 2 weeks, we have some good blue water coming at the moment.

I have some real easy dive spots for cray fish in under 3m though I'm not sure if you like the eastern green jobs I get around here, no painted, only a half painted half green called a beautific or something like that.

cheers Gleeeza