Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Four Stroke Vs Two Stroke

Four Stroke Vs Two Stroke

I have bought a Sea Farer Viking, it currently has a 90 Yamaha, I am looking at puting a new 115 on the back. But I am really confused about which one to go for, I saw a video about the Evenrude Etech motors. And since then I am a not sure wether to go for a four stroke or not.

Does anyone else that actually has a four stroke comment, I have only been in one boat with a Honda four stroke 90 and I thought it was a bit slugish.

What is your opinion?

Re: Four Stroke Vs Two Stroke

It would be a good Idea to do a search on this subject,as you will find a heap of posts,that will help you.
    David

A few years ago, I had a mariner 50 2 str, noisy and a bit of a fuel guzzler compared to the 4str yammie I have now, which is very quiet (a conversation can still be had with only slightly raised voices at full throttle), and is excellent on fuel. Though original purchase and servicing is a bit more I definately won't be going back to a 2 stroke. I should also metion the small upgrade in power with the new motor, a 60hp.

Often, when drifting and casting lures I neglect to turn the motor off and don't even notice it idling on the back, until I go to move spots. Also, after a late night return, the neighbours don't get all pissed when the motor is flushed in the middle of the night, where as the 2 stroke had to wait until morning, whcih meant the internals were subjected to dried salt, which inturn led to more frequent services.

generally
    4strokes are quiter, use less fuel have move moving parts than DI 2 strokes and also a bit heavier as said above search, youll find heaps

Hows it going mate

I have a 115 ETEC and it compares to the four stroke when it comes to noise they are very quiet and at idle the telltale hitting the water is louder than the motor
    I have found since the upgrade from an old two stroke that my fuel costs have halved add that with the 3 yr no dealer service I have saved a bucket load of cash

On a down side the oil (XD100) is very pricey at around $300 for 5 gallons (about 19L)

At the end off the day though you have to be happy with the motor you buy as well as the after sales service

I suggest trying to get out on boats with both engines so that you can compare the two first hand

If you are around Brissie and want to come out for a bit of a run in mine just send me a Pm and i will tee up a time for you

Russ

P.s Dont pay to much attention to the vid that evinrude put out i think some of the stuff has been massively hyped up
    Last edited by russ81; 13-11-2007 at 04:54 PM.

Matey you have to weigh up what you want your motor to do. 4 strokes are best when travelling distances to fish reefs, 2strokes DI,s are good for rec boating wakeboarding,skiing and other activites. Most fishos will talk up there own motors, so you realy need to do some homework.

Quote Originally Posted by russ81 View Post
    Hows it going mate

I have a 115 ETEC and it compares to the four stroke when it comes to noise they are very quiet and at idle the telltale hitting the water is louder than the motor
    I have found since the upgrade from an old two stroke that my fuel costs have halved add that with the 3 yr no dealer service I have saved a bucket load of cash

On a down side the oil (XD100) is very pricey at around $300 for 5 gallons (about 19L)

At the end off the day though you have to be happy with the motor you buy as well as the after sales service

I suggest trying to get out on boats with both engines so that you can compare the two first hand

If you are around Brissie and want to come out for a bit of a run in mine just send me a Pm and i will tee up a time for you

Russ

P.s Dont pay to much attention to the vid that evinrude put out i think some of the stuff has been massively hyped up
    I originall thought go the four stroke, as I grew up with trail bikes as a kid. Back then the thought was four strokes have tork all the way from bottom to high revs.... but then i heard the two strokes have more tork......

When it comes to marrine applications tork is everything.

I once went out with a mate, on a 5.3 meter alloy half cab with a 90 Honda and i thought it was a bit slugish....

I like the thought of better fuel economy but not when it comes to loosing power. This Seafarer Viking isnt a light boat, I know a 115 2 stroke would push it nicely but how can someone chance a four stroke if its got less power.

Firstly ... what size is your Seafarer ? If you buy either motor and it not powerful enough then you won't like either of the motors ...... make sure you buy big enough !!!

Quote Originally Posted by rumy1 View Post
    Firstly ... what size is your Seafarer ? If you buy either motor and it not powerful enough then you won't like either of the motors ...... make sure you buy big enough !!!
    Its a 17.6 Sea Farer Viking Cutty Cab it has a 90 Yamaha on it now which would be enough to take it offshore.

But I want a bit more poke so I was thinking a 115, I think maybe the 140 is a bit to much of an over kill. Any opinions on the matter would be great, most of my experience has been on larger boats, not trailer boats.

i would seriously consider the new tohatsu 115 DI 2-stroke. i've been researching 90 and 115 DI 2 strokes for my new boat and some of the reviews i read put the tohatsu above the merc optimax and evinrude etec. it was smoother and quieter and had more grunt due to it being a 4 cylinder and slightly higher capacity than the merc. fuel consumption was better than the etec

a 2 stroke is more powerful than a 4 stroke of the same capacity, because it fires every piston stroke, not every other stroke. with the advent and refinement of DI technology the gap has been closed in terms of noise and fuel consumption. you may use a bit more fuel with a 2 stroke DI running around at full throttle. for me, i like the simplicity of a 2 stroke, less moving parts=less things to go wrong and less things to service.

Hi. I just purchased a new Quintrex Coast Runner with a 75HP Merury 2 stroke. I am amazed at how quiet this motor runs... At idle, I had to listen to see if it was running! At full throttle, we can have a normal conversation. I had seven year old Mercury 30HP on my old boat, which sounded like a jet engine. The fuel economy is great (not much worse than my old 30HP). I spoke to the salesman and he said in that size, there is little difference in the fuel economy, but the 4 stroke is even quieter to run. One other factor is servicing cost. Apparently the two stroke is cheaper to service. As there was a big price difference, I went with the two stroke. I would imagine that on a 115 HP, the noise and fuel economy difference would be more substantial than it is on a 75HP.

Regards

Troy

Have always said four strokes were best for economy and noise but was finally convinced to have a look at the E-Tec and and reckon it was the best decision I have ever made.
    Have a 50hp E-tec on a trailer sailer (Macgregor) and it uses almost the same fuel pushing the yacht and the dinghy as my 15 hp honda just pushing the dinghy at all speeds.
    Cannot believe how efficient this thing is at low revs (2000) and as for the oil after over 150 hr's still have a full tank left out of the first gallon (work it out) and still have 150 hr's till first service.
    Less parts to break and quite as.
    Did talk to a dealer recently who does both E-tec and Honda and his tests showed Honda was better? so my advice get the e-tec video and then visit a few dealers .
    Agree everyone talks up their own motor but E-tec has some serious advantages

i changed out a 90 Hp 2 stroke Jonno (1999) - 700 hours on a Cuisecraft 500 last year to a 4 stroke 100 EFI yammie. Had to play around with prop (ended up with a Solas) , but really happy with it. No fumes, quiet and similar performance on top end. Real improvement was low end torque, especially in 15-20knot slop on Moreton bay. Could put nose down at 3200 rpm and cruise at 15 knots through the slop without touching throttle, whereas 2 stroke would be up and down on throttle. Fuel consumtion halved. e.g Cleveland to Wide off Point Lookout and back (60nM on 45 litres) whers 2 stroke was a 80-90litre run. Only down point was extra weight which sunk stern by 1".

Cheers

Nick

Gee mate that sounds really good, i have been reading up on the difference in weight I can see that the Suzuki motores are pretty light weight.

That sounds like a darn good report to me, how do you find the power at take off is it enough?

Nowornever, I have been doing a lots of research into this topic 2 vs 4, I came up with 1 answer, that was buy a 4 stroke. For the type of fishing i do it would be silly for me not to. I like to fish the reefs so a 2 stroke is not economical enough. I am yet to purchase a new or more likelya new 2nd hand 4 stroke but I am looking and if one turns up i will jump on it.

Mate in the endt is up to you and what ever decision you make you have to live with. I have a Suzuki V6 150 di on my boat at thew moment, good speed, really heavy on feul.

Rod....