Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Four Stroke Vs Two Stroke

Re: Four Stroke Vs Two Stroke

Good day mate

Four stroke of course
    You will save at least 40% of the fuel + change oil every 100 hours (depend on the engine company) + noises reduce and no engine smoke.

Cheers Murad

Have you looked at the mercury optimax motors. We have a 90hp optimax and couldn't be happier. It has the power of a 2 stroke but all the benefit's of a 4 stroke. We can get from redcliffe to moreton island and back using just under 20 litres.

I'm in 2 frames of mind when it comes to this debate..

I love the 4-stroke for trolling...I do hours with a 30 HP Honda and it doesn't foul the plugs...but this really seems to be the only advantage in the little engines..

4-strokes are expensive,dearer to maintain and a little sluggish..

Upon resale the loss margin will be far greater with the 4-stroke too..

BarraSteve..

Mate there are new laws coming into effect in 2010 I believe in regards to emissions and 2 strokes have to comply the same as 4 strokes.

Regards

Ken

My boat & motor is a little bigger then then yours but it should give you some comparison ....

Seafarer Vermont 5.9, Anti fouled. 2007 E-tec 250. Weight 1500kg

Cruise........... 32mph @ 3000rpm, 25ltr/hr = 2.0klm/ltr
    Fast cruise....41mph @ 4000rpm, 35ltr/hr = 1.87klm/ltr
    WOT.............. 65mph @ 5600rpm, 88ltr/hr = 1.18klm/ltr

Blood awesome motor. Very quiet. At WOT you can have a conversation without raising your voice. At idle the tell tail hitting the water is louder then the motor.... Very low oil consumption, 100-1 Ratio...
    Starts on first crank of the motor....
    Last edited by Jabba_; 18-11-2007 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabba_ View Post
    My boat & motor is a little bigger then then yours but it should give you some comparison ....

Seafarer Vermont 5.9, Anti fouled. 2007 E-tec 250. Weight 1500kg

Cruise........... 32mph @ 3000rpm, 25ltr/hr = 2.0klm/ltr
    Fast cruise....41mph @ 4000rpm, 35ltr/hr = 1.87klm/ltr
    WOT.............. 65mph @ 5600rpm, 88ltr/hr = 1.18klm/ltr

Blood awesome motor. Very quiet. At WOT you can have a conversation without raising your voice. At idle the tell tail hitting the water is louder then the motor.... Very low oil consumption, 100-1 Ratio...
    Starts on first crank of the motor....
    Hi Jabba that looks like good fuel economy for the rpm but you got the speed from your speedo I suspect, or you are running a 25 pitch prop. The speed is way out somehow.

cheers fnq
    Last edited by FNQCairns; 18-11-2007 at 03:56 PM.

Those speeds do seem quick...but then again that is a little,light tub for such a big donk..

BarraSteve..

Speeds are from GPS (Lorance) 21" Viper... Going to try 23" Viper sometime soon.

I tryed a lot off differant props from BRP to get the right prop... With the 21" I still have a great hole shot...
    The 19" Viper was better in very tight turns and hole shot, but was 6mph slower at WOT. With the 19", mid speed was down and fuel consumption was up..
    Last edited by Jabba_; 18-11-2007 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks for filling me in jabba, not that this is matters when you are scooting along so fast anyway but the 21P viper can only do 60mph theoretical at 5600rpm on your engine if it has the 1.85 leg. Don't think you will be able to pull the 23p though, you wearing goggles or what!!

cheers fnq

Get either a 4 Stroke or an E-TEC. These are teh only 3 star emission engines available.

At 115hp a carby 2 stroke will put out a whopping 8kg more emisions per runnng hour.

regulations in the northern hemisphere stops these being sold in many places. The proposed 2009 USA regs will stop the sale of even 2 star engines

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    Thanks for filling me in jabba, not that this is matters when you are scooting along so fast anyway but the 21P viper can only do 60mph theoretical at 5600rpm on your engine if it has the 1.85 leg. Don't think you will be able to pull the 23p though, you wearing goggles or what!!

cheers fnq
    Not sure what gear ratio is in my leg,, But yeah, I getting 65mph on my lorance GPS..... I could be wrong with my RPM as I am not really looking at it I just take a glance.. But the Lorance has a trip meter with max speed and average speed

The boys on the Seadoo's get a bit up set when I put the peddle to the metal and overtake them...

Here is a pic of the boat.. Before I got the E-tec

Quote Originally Posted by Jabba_ View Post
    Not sure what gear ratio is in my leg,, But yeah, I getting 65mph on my lorance GPS..... I could be wrong with my RPM as I am not really looking at it I just take a glance.. But the Lorance has a trip meter with max speed and average speed

The boys on the Seadoo's get a bit up set when I put the peddle to the metal and overtake them...
    He He sounds like a real good fun boat give it to those seedoo wally's. You would idle at 6kn!!

cheers fnq

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    He He sounds like a real good fun boat give it to those seedoo wally's. You would idle at 6kn!!

cheers fnq
    More boat is in the water at idle, so 6kn is unlikely.. tell you the truth I haven't even checked what speed it is traveling at idle

Hey mate nice boat,

HI
    My Grand Father has a 17 ft Cox craft Rum runner and it originaly had a 115 blueband merc on it and he up graded it to a brand new Mercury 200 Hp Black Max and i say brand new because it was stored in a shed for 15 years and still in the box never touched. I thought it was quite rare and interesting a 15 year old brand new motor. He has just had a $1000 sercice done on it with new seals and every thing put on it. At 4000 RPM we do about 80km/h and it only takes about 5 seconds to get it up to that speed but yer i thought it was interesting and it shows it doesnt hurt to have the max HP on ur boat so if i was you i would go a 140hp.

Ps when they close moreton bay down there gunna need a fast boat to catch us and stop us fishing.