Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Monduran flavour of the month or is it?

Re: Monduran flavour of the month or is it?

Hi Trev
    Interested to read that you are heading north again come February, hope that new camper trailer is kind to your back. Will try and get over and see you in the next week or so, got a photo of that 1.2 mtr barra I got at monduran a fortnight ago. Am also organising another week at Monduran mid March.

Quote Originally Posted by rebelone View Post
    Hi Trev
    Interested to read that you are heading north again come February, hope that new camper trailer is kind to your back. Will try and get over and see you in the next week or so, got a photo of that 1.2 mtr barra I got at monduran a fortnight ago. Am also organising another week at Monduran mid March.
    Merv,

Will be good to catch up. We will be at Monduran about Mid March as well, sounds like a bit of night fishing on the go. Watch out for those jumping nav lights.

Regards

Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

yeah guys i think monduran has become so popular because the majority of people are lazey and travelling a long way is a drag.
    being so close to Brissy makes it the most accesable barra dam from the largest population in QLD. I know I won't go to awoonga because there are just as bigger fish in monduran. and there is so many more different styles of fishing you can do with a dam with so many different arms, creeks and basins to test your tackle.

happy casting
    Justin

I think the main reason that you don't see many posts about awoonga is that it has become too famous already and the locals who catch plenty of fish in the dam don't want to fan the flames and encourage more people here. The lines at the boat ramp are huge, no parking left, hundreds of boats every day, imagine how bad it would get if we put posts up every week saying how great the fishing is. Faust is still just as good as it always was just without the crowds now, so if everybody keeps promoting monduran hopefully awoonga will get less crowded as well. This might seem selfish but you don't have to wait in the lines every week like we do.
    As you asked for a monthly update. September produced the best dam fishing we have ever seen in awoonga, we regularly landed more than 30 fish in a session with most being over a metre, this went on night after night. Then along came a lot of overcast days and 30 kn southeasters and the dam cooled 7 degrees and we were lucky to land 1 or 2 for most of october. A bit of warmer weather in november saw the temperature and the fishing improve only to be dashed by persistent cold weather and wind again. We had the coldest day ever recorded in november occur last week and there was a week like this so the fishing has become hard again. Cheers scott.

For me I used to fish Lenthalls and would not have bothered going further North to chase Barra & Bass. But due to the motor restrictions this is the next dam North of Brissy with these 2 species,so I am sure the same can be said for a lot of other fishos due to the shutting of Lenthalls to a % of fishos Monduran is the next closest choice so you are hearing more about it.

The Bomber.