Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raider Rods.....never again (rubbish)

Raider Rods.....never again (rubbish)

well after backing shitmano for the last year and reccommending the raider rods to everyone i know its all come back to bite me in the arse.
    a few weeks ago i noticed that the tip was curving a little, i emailed shimano and they said take it back to where you got it and they can have it looked at under the 12month warranty. Well i did that and they were very negative saying its obviously been left in a hot car etc etc etc. Well he said i can leave it there and have it looked at by shimano but the rep might not be in fpr 6 weeks, so i said dont worry and walked out.

Well went fishing tonite and second cast, bang the top section of the cork grip has snapped in half.
    I feel like taking it in again but i know hes only going to say well you havent lookecd after it if theres now 2 problems.....

what the hell do i do.....does anyone have any idea.....?
    i could glue the grip back on use it for another couple of months (hoping it holds together) and then throw it out
    or take it back to my local and see what he says,
    i mean in my opinion he should look after me ive spent hundreds of dollars with his store, Daiwa reels, loomis rods, heaps of lures....

well i know one thing il never buy another shit rod, Loomis or nothing from now on,
    at least they honor their warranty.

Ben
    Last edited by yellahunter; 09-11-2007 at 07:27 PM.

Re: Raider Rods.....never again (rubbish)

You really think they are that bad, or just the one you got??? I was going to buy a 3 piece raider baitcasting rod as a backup rod for when i head up to weipa early next year. Has anyone else had problems with these rods? Is there a better rod i could get as a backup rod for my Loomis forcelite that would be around that 150 range???

That looks like an unusual breakage .... considering that it is a Fuji winch fitting ...... Try gluing it back together with 24hr Araldite ..... Nagg

i would glue it but i reckon i deserve a replacement.
    surely this is a warranty issue, if this happened theres no telling whats going to happen next.

as a backup its an ok rod spiero,
    however i fish quite a lot and it just hasnt handled the pressure of fishing a few times a week, very disappointing

Thanks for that Yellahunter, kinda hoping that i wont need to use it, but its a long way to go and break the only rod you have for the trip im thinking, the plan is that it will pack up small and get me through if needed. Thanks for the help

Cheers Spiero

I've had that happen to one of my raiders to and had maybe 4 or 5 come back into work with the same problem, it's a design fault with the the fore grip which has been plauging (though considering how many are out there its not that bad)them which will be covered under warranty under the 12 month period.

Though i have to say i think your acting unfairly towards shimano in regards to the tip, its outright fact that composite materials like graphite can only distort from heat stress, you've been told this by many members of this forum and have refused to believe it is not a manufacturors fault, a loomis rod would have done the same thing and you would have had to pay the expodite for the warranty.

not uncommon on the old handle screw fittings on some of the raider series, as far as i know the new models all have the standard screw down mount now

Spiero, if you are staying in Weipa I reckon you could probably pick up a replacement, including a loomis, in the newsagent next to the post office, or an acceptable replacement in the shop across the carpark.
    You've gotta love a town where there is a bit of a selection of high end and less so fishing tackle for sale in a newsagent, and where the camping shop has good stuff too

Well i would be taking it back for warrrenty claim as it is a clear manufacturer's fault going by the pictures. It does seam that you are annoyed at what has happened but to say they are crap rods cause you have got a dud is alittle harsh. I have owned 5 raider rods over the last 2 or 3 years & found them to great rods with only having one break at the tip due to a manufacturer's fault. It was replaced by Shimano without any problems...

cheers for all the feedback guys,

hey Saint, did you speak to shimano direct or the tackle shop you got it from...?
    im going to take it back but need to know who im better off dealing with.

Yella,

had a mate have the exact same thing happen to his raider baitcaster. He got another under waranty, no problems.

Well the tackle shop I got it off has shut down & had to go thru other Shimano dealer but I had my receipt to prove it was still covered under warrenty..

The Black plastic collar at the base of the foregrip is where you should twist to tighten the reel seat. If you grab the cork its only a matter of time before it comes apart.I've got 2 of these rods......mine haven't fallen apart.
    Have a long hard look at how you treat your equipment before telling the world that it is Sh*t gear. Bent tips and busted cork doesn't happen on there own. I've done it myself...lesson learned. Haven't since.

Roo.

Yeah well said roo...