Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oil hits $100 a barrel

Re: Oil hits $100 a barrel

and I'll keep buying Australian products whenever I can. Speaking of which, it's almost time for me to buy all my relatives another supply of Bundaberg ginger beer for Christmas. I've got them all hooked on the stuff! Deeeeelicious!!!
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

is it not the finest commercially available ginger beer on the planet. i had to say commercially available because my little mate cammo makes ginger beer (alcoholic) from scratch ie' breeds the little bug in a milo tin and it's on a par with the bundy product but is quite alcoholic which makes it better

Hmmmmmmm..... I am intrigued to say the least.

Might that recipe be available to the public or is it one of those, "I'd tell you but then I'd have to kill you" secret recipe deals?

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

i think it's top secret ec, he hasn't told me yet anyway. i'm just thankful he gives me a couple of bottles when he makes some. it makes ya cheeks glow.

Here is a good old Ginger Beer Recipe

Propagating the plant (Part 1)

In a large jar mix the following items to form the basis of your ginger beer plant;

* 1 Teaspoon of lemon pulp
    * 2 Teaspoons of ground ginger
    * 4 Teaspoons of sugar
    * 2 Cups of cold water
    * 8 Sultana's

Once combined, the 'plant' must be left for 3 to 4 days, depending on climate to ferment.

Store the jar in a warm dry place to help this process along.

Feeding the ginger beer plant (Part 2)

Each day your plant must be nourished by adding the following items to the jar, in order to keep it growing;

* 2 Teaspoons of ground ginger
    * 4 Teaspoons of sugar

The harvest (Part 3)

After feeding your plant for one week, it now becomes time to harvest the crop. You will now need the following items:

* A CLEAN plastic bucket
    * 12 glass bottles with lids
    * An old pair of womens stockings

In addition you will need the following additional ingredients:

* 4 Cups of sugar
    * 4 Cups of boiling water
    * Juice of 4 lemons
    * 28 Cups of cold water

In the plastic bucket, dissolve the sugar in the boiling water, add the lemon juice and cold water.

The next step requires you to strain the 'plant mixture' into the bucket through a double layer of stockings, squeeze until the mixture is relatively dry.

Mix the entire buckets contents thoroughly and then bottle.

I think the problem is all the migrants coming to this great country of ours. Whats wrong with your own country? They come over here and drive everything up, Oil prices, Interest Rates everything. Now days u cant just take out a loan for things with the interest rates rising so rapidly but people still do and they get caught out. My theory is, You cant pay for it straight up u cant afford it. But hopefully we'll still have a mining boom in 5yrs time and i can head out their for 5years and come back with 550k. For a House Deposit, Car, Boat and a Bloody Big Term Deposit.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy94 View Post
    I think the problem is all the migrants coming to this great country of ours. Whats wrong with your own country? They come over here and drive everything up, Oil prices, Interest Rates everything. Now days u cant just take out a loan for things with the interest rates rising so rapidly but people still do and they get caught out. My theory is, You cant pay for it straight up u cant afford it. But hopefully we'll still have a mining boom in 5yrs time and i can head out their for 5years and come back with 550k. For a House Deposit, Car, Boat and a Bloody Big Term Deposit.
    I would love to know how you come to that conclusion.

550k for all those things...even the 550k is not a "bloody big term deposit"
    They must pay some brilliant wages to have 550k at the end of 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy94 View Post
    Wow isn't that an interesting take on life
    I take it the 94 is the year you were born.

My only advise for you timmy is to think for YOURSELF mate.
    Dont take as gospel everything people around you say.
    Sounds like some of them have a very limited experience of life.

Scott

I'm a newchum to this site - first on an issue started by Derek. I'm a pistol and rifle shooter, (occasional) hunter, diver and (irregular) fresh and saltwater fisher.

This thread is excellent, as is the whole site. I am VERY impressed.

Derek - That ginger beer recipe is effectively what my father used to use - I must start collecting some bottles (and enjoy the contents - any excuse!)

These are interesting times. Manipulating the carbon chain brings us practically 'everything'. The true importance of oil is hitting home now. As we all know, fuel is only one aspect to oil. Add that to our need to use such fuel to being goods into 'our homes' via a complex interrelationship of meeting the hugely diverse needs of society. Without that portable energy, our lifestyles and expectations will certainly change.

Methinks it's a resource to be preserved, and governments concentrate on alternative forms of portable energy, in concert with baseload generation. I mean by that, both nuclear and so called 'green' power.

Thankfully humans are highly inventive and in a capitalist society, initiative is driven by need, which in turn is driven by the almighty dollar. As accessible oil diminishes, reserves will/are becoming more expensive, and this will eventually drive initiative, and change.

There is a BIT but - waste. Whatever we do, proper treatment of waste must be a priority and be built into the price of the unit of energy. In my opinion, here in Australia, we have tremendous capacity to generate 'green' power from known geothermal areas, and a host of other known means. Exploit that, and use that 'unlimited' and clean energy to create portable energy and now only do we win, but so does our planet.

I need a cuppa.
    Peter Cunningham

I know I've already gone waaaaaaay off topic in this thread so I'll say a quick Humongous thank you to Derek for the recipe. Believe me, I WILL try it. Thanks a million Derek! ......and I'm still making those famous pumpkin muffins by the way; my relatives insist!

Thanksgiving holiday, here I come! Wooo!

EC

Quote Originally Posted by el_carpo View Post
    I know I've already gone waaaaaaay off topic in this thread so I'll say a quick Humongous thank you to Derek for the recipe. Believe me, I WILL try it. Thanks a million Derek! ......and I'm still making those famous pumpkin muffins by the way; my relatives insist!

Thanksgiving holiday, here I come! Wooo!

EC
    Thats a non alcoholic ginger beer as well.

I'm still cooking click here to see

GINGER BEER - If I remember rightly - Dad used to use in his brew a spice - clove. I don't know how much but it was not very much at all. He used to get some grated fresh ginger and chuck that in just prior to bottling. It was YUMMY. I should give it a go myself.
    What an amazing turn The price of Oil to Ginger Beer!
    Peter C

Wow

I am actually impressed by the level of debate about this topic (and also the ginger beer recipe).

This thread has gone on for three pages, and no one has yet mentioned the old "government should cut the tax on petrol" line but there has been a whole lot of intellegent economic and lifestyle analysis.

Before anyone does mention the old "government should cut the tax on petrol" line, here is the problem with that arguement

1. If the tax did reduce the price of petrol, then we would all just use more. Look at how many people drive 4 cylinders compared to 10 or 20 years ago (yes kiddies listen to your elders). If petrol was half the price as in the US, we would all be consuming the stuff like it was going to be around forever, and when the crunch in terms of peak oil comes, it would hit that much harder. A rapid increase in the price of petrol will probably be the single thing that will finally seals the rise of China as the predominant world power over the US, and will probably occur within the next 10 years. I can't help feeling that the US economy will be shattered. We will be sheltered from the effect of a rapid oil price rise by having paid world oil prices for many years, although a major downturn in the US economy will certainly have a negative effect on Australia.

2. The government is never going to kill off such a cash cow

3. See 2. In this election, when both sides are giving away money like confetti, the reduction in tax on petrol is not even mentioned, so it is just not going to happen regardless of the pros and cons of such a tax. It is a waste of effort even contemplating it.

There - I have mentioned the dreaded tax and possibly allowed all the flat earth economists in on the thread.

Whichway

Per unit of GPD the economies of the World use far less oil than they did 30 years ago (about 40% less). This has been due to economy gains spurred on by past oil shocks as well as to a move to less energy intense activities such as the service, finance and knowledge sectors. The recent rises have been gradual too and caused by strong economic growth driving demand - that is why our economies have been able to take the rising price in their stride.

At the current price a lot of the alternatives to oil start to look attractive, eg coal liquafaction, gas, biofuels and hybrid and electric cars. We might see hydrogen powered cars down the track also. Also there are more mundane economical solutions such a small turbo diesel engines. So I think some of the predictions about peak oil are overly gloomy.

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    Per unit of GPD the economies of the World use far less oil than they did 30 years ago (about 40% less). This has been due to economy gains spurred on by past oil shocks as well as to a move to less energy intense activities such as the service, finance and knowledge sectors. The recent rises have been gradual too and caused by strong economic growth driving demand - that is why our economies have been able to take the rising price in their stride.
    Very interesting I had not considered that, bit of perspective on our modern times.

cheers fnq