Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil hits $100 a barrel

Oil hits $100 a barrel

Hi
    Oil has hit $100 a barrel. We just don't notice it so much because of the high aussie dollar.

So repeat after me -

Go China, Go China, Go China

because without China buying everything we can dig out of the ground, the dollar would collapse and we would be paying well over $1.50 per litre.

Might get interesting if China signs up to a modified Kyoto protocol.

Whichway

Re: Oil hits $100 a barrel

some places are near enough to $1.50 now!

hey whichway, have you considered what will happen to the price of oil when they all buy motor vehicles? the rate of car ownership in china is rising rapidly and they all need fuel to run, the price of oil is going to go ballistic very soon.

I think boating will (has possibly already) become a very middle to upperclass pastime if fuel hits $1.75 cpl or more !!!! Driving might become a luxury !!!! (smile)

Thats $175 dollars to fill the boat tank in a 5 metre centre console AND another $140 to fill the Hilux ....

Thats $315 for a day on the Broadwater in a small boat ..... (drive down from Northside of Bris)

OUCH !!!! Dont tell my wife that .... !!!!!

PWCDad

Quote Originally Posted by PWCDad View Post
    I think boating will (has possibly already) become a very middle to upperclass pastime if fuel hits $1.75 cpl or more !!!! Driving might become a luxury !!!! (smile)

Thats $175 dollars to fill the boat tank in a 5 metre centre console AND another $140 to fill the Hilux ....

Thats $315 for a day on the Broadwater in a small boat ..... (drive down from Northside of Bris)

OUCH !!!! Dont tell my wife that .... !!!!!

PWCDad
    I totally agree PWC. Now, having said that, we will all still put petrol in our boats and go fishing or boating wont we????

Maybe not as often, or as far, but the price wont stop us will it???

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin_Mike View Post
    I totally agree PWC. Now, having said that, we will all still put petrol in our boats and go fishing or boating wont we????

Maybe not as often, or as far, but the price wont stop us will it???

I'll start selling family members before I stop going out on the water !!! j/k

PWCDad

No it won't stop us going out fishing but it will reduce the numbers on the water.

Oil/fuel price + higher mortgage interest + food/shelter inflation + falling real estate value (especially in outer areas) + wage constraints = hard times for many.

I won't even start on debt obligations and inflated asset prices caused by too much money being created around the globe.

This oil shock will be worse than the late 70's but the full impact of those things were not seen on the water until about 5 years after the combination of events.

I suspect that this time things will be worse and impact more quickly.

If it wasn't for China and our strong dollar we would be in a world of trouble right now.

Estuary fishing should become much more popular but it's not a bad life, even so.

Its from the usa dropping interest rates to save the backsides of the big end of town that handed out billions in dodgy loans, they should have raised rates and by dropping them we now see gold and oil soaring as hedges on inflation, gold stocks are a great bet atm, i like pacrim pre and navigator nav and A1 minerals amm.
    Last edited by alleycat; 08-11-2007 at 10:50 AM.

OK, if it'll help.

"Go China, Go China, Go China......."

Sad but true!

I guess regardless of the price of Petrol, we will still use it, we will whinge and whine for a while, then just get over it and do as we did before, MAYBE if petrol hits really high prices, just maybe then we will look towards smaller engines and slower boats, but it will take a fair old price increase for us all to go back to a putt putt with a single cylinder Diesel engine, and perhaps even a sail for when winds are favorable, I am afraid we live in a very afluent age when we all need to speed all over the place, honk your horn and give anyone the finger who dares slow us down or cut in your lane on the road, can't possibly live without a mobile phone permanetly glued to your ear, and need to text message someone in the same room, it is just our modern fast paced over stressed lifestyle that will keep us using over priced Petrol until there just is no more and we do not have any other choice!!

Another nail in the coffin of the carbie 2S. The reasle value of any boat with one on the back just took a dive.

Quote Originally Posted by whichway View Post
    Hi
    Oil has hit $100 a barrel. We just don't notice it so much because of the high aussie dollar.

So repeat after me -

Go China, Go China, Go China

because without China buying everything we can dig out of the ground, the dollar would collapse and we would be paying well over $1.50 per litre.

Might get interesting if China signs up to a modified Kyoto protocol.

Whichway
    Top World Oil Consumers, 2006 *thousand barrels per day consumption

1- United States 20,588
    2 - China 7,274

Nope. Sorry. Americas war machine consumes more than a billion Chinese!

Good thread topic!
    Last edited by jman2016; 08-11-2007 at 12:25 PM.

it doesn't relate directly to the price of oil but alleycat's comment re interest rates in the US is very valid here as a contribution to the bigger picture, interest rates being low encourages people to borrow way beyond their means to pay more for the same stuff than the last bloke did, which causes this thing called inflation, a low level of inflation is ok, but if it gets high, the only way to try and slow it down is by raising interest rates to slow borrowing and the people who get burned big time are the ones who borrowed way beyond their means in the first place. the higher income earners don't get affected anywhere near as much as the low income earners. and here we are where people think that johnny howard has the means to keep interest rates low, how can he do that? someone explain it to me. we're all lining up for our low interest rates but the only winners out of low interest rates are high income earners who can now afford to borrow more to invest more and drive the prices of everything up out of the reach of the rest. look at housing if you don't believe.

Pheeeeeew, that's my interest rate rant over .............. back to the oil

oil is just another commodity and we just have to pay what the market is paying. it's not the war machine chewing the oil in the US jman, it's joe average mum and dad american with a couple of cars, a motorbike and a boat. We're no different here, or i know i'm not.

i talk to a few Americans on a reasonably regular basis, and it would appear that they are in real deep poo over there, with Housing being reposesed all over the place, Gas at $3 a gallon (still cheap to us) boat sales at an all time low, the second hand market flooded, new car sales at an all time low as well, so we usually follow them a year or so later, if that is the case now, then we are in for a torrid time in a couple of years, I hope it all turns out to be false, but I don't think so!

Quote Originally Posted by PADDLES View Post

Pheeeeeew, that's my interest rate rant over .............. back to the oil

oil is just another commodity and we just have to pay what the market is paying. it's not the war machine chewing the oil in the US jman, it's joe average mum and dad american with a couple of cars, a motorbike and a boat. We're no different here, or i know i'm not.
    https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../print/us.html

US Oil - consumption: 20.73 million bbl/day (2004 est.)
    $3.013 a gallon = US gallon

US gallon approx 3.79 liters

The US military is the single biggest purchaser of oil in the world
    U.S. military is using between 10 million and 11 million barrels of fuel each month to sustain operations in Afghanistan, Iraq and elsewhere.

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/news....aspx?id=16915

Australian Oil - consumption: 877,300 bbl/day (2004 est.)

National average unleaded 127.8 cents a litre

http://www.aip.com.au/pricing/retail/ulp/index.htm