Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: crab pot floats that are timed to rise

Re: crab pot floats that are timed to rise

back to the original request, we used to get our "disolvable" lnks from a commercial place called "Net sales" in Sydney, but I have not used them for years now, but I guess a quick phone call will sort out if they still carry them, or at least know where to get them, the ones we used where like a big swivel, and the bit between the swivel rings was made of a Zinc like material, the actual time to disolve would vary according to water temp as well, but was pretty well an overnight time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by catfish55 View Post
    i know thers some gagets that alow you to sink your pots and like a corosion -fuse type of link so your float rises in say 24 hrs ??? surly thers somthink.
    hey i know it's ilegel but heck the pro's are just cutting the floats of even when i'm in the vercinity. i'm not bagging pro's was one myself but do not condone this shit. so anyone got any links or ideas....thanks.....ideas please
    Back on topic... Is the relative salinity of the water going to affect this?? Say you get a heap of fresh between sets, your not only going to catch no crabs but you might not get your pot when you need to? Alternatively it might pot up a little too early - as your friendly pro drives past.

Could be a problem in places where access is tidal and you need to only have a short window to check. Additionally it would also be interesting to know if you could set the 'timer' to a number of different durations.

Very novel idea though - down to the patents office I go . I would deffinately use it. Catching no crabs when you know your pots have been ratted is worse that going home fishless - at least you have someone else to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by stevos View Post

Not having a go but Im pretty sure that fixed to something is meant to mean something that cant be moved. I would like to hear the conversation with fishers when you explain that another pot is really 'fixed'.

Im sure there is a more explicit set of guidelines out there about what is actually acceptable. Tying to mangroves is obviosly not on so I guess this is supposed to refer to man-made structures only - jetties, wharfes???
    stevos.
    As stated earlier, fixing to another pot is totally legal and acceptable under the QLD guidelines. Fixed means attached.
    So too, believe it or not, is tying off to mangrove roots. Legal.
    Do your research and you'll find that my statements are correct.
    Ring Fisheries as I did.

Cheers Jeff.

I have just "perused" the QLD regs, and I guess all gov websites are meant to be confusing, but I kind of read it as being fixed to be to (say) a jetty or something, but I would not like to say for sure, on the NSW Fisheries site, I tried to make some sense out of some Laws and could sort of make out what was legal, but no real reference to what was not, so I guess if "it" does not make the legal list, then it must be illegal???

Quote Originally Posted by ffejsmada View Post
    Ring Fisheries as I did.

Cheers Jeff.

QLD Boating & Fisheries Patrol Mooloolaba 07 54444599

I've got no more to add!
    Last edited by ffejsmada; 08-11-2007 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ffejsmada View Post

QLD Boating & Fisheries Patrol Mooloolaba 07 54444599

I've got no more to add!
    I shall contact my local office (brisbane) tomorrow and let you know how I go.

Cheers,

Steve

Sweet - just got off the phone with DPI&F. They back you up ffejsmada!!!

He did say that the rules were intented to be for pots fixed to 'fixed' structures like bridges and the like but somewhere down the line the wording became a little ambiguous. Hence the position we are in now.

Again, back on topic this would also mean that corrosion fuses would also be legal. Lets just hope it doesnt pop up as someone is cruising over the top of it - would have to be pretty unlucky...