Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Impoundment Barra Reels ??

Re: Impoundment Barra Reels ??

Quote Originally Posted by wheezer View Post
    my 3 choices would be

Steez 100H JDM model....has special deep spool tuned for long casts same capacity as a zillion...also same length handle at 90mm vs. 80mm for Steez 103 for a bit more cranking power

or new Zillion HLC...significantly lighter than std Zillion, understated bling and tuned spool and brake system. will handle salt ok

lastly TD-Z BBS...stronger internals for big fish. same line cap. as above reels although it was before they developed magforce-Z so the spool has a fixed brake rotor. Should be able to install the aftermarket i'ze factory Steez/TD-Z hyper long cast spool with tuned rotor if you are keen

all compact, light and powerful reels with sufficient line capacity, i'm about to order the first 2, it was a tough decision! I have a Steez 103H and it is amazing! the smoothest, lightest reel i've owned (i have a fair collection of high end daiwas) christened it on some good barra at awoonga a few weeks ago and it was great, just want a bit more line cap. hence the decision to order the 100H
    Great Stuff ... Nagg

#Hinze, g'day the revo looks like a nice choice. I don't suppose I'd ever fish 10 or so kg of drag over a casting barra rod? but it would be nice!

Have you had an opportunity to set the drag using scales, and what seemed good to you? I have had reels become distinctly growly in the gears at a lot less than 5kg of drag off the reel on the scales.

Quote Originally Posted by artesian View Post
    #Hinze, g'day the revo looks like a nice choice. I don't suppose I'd ever fish 10 or so kg of drag over a casting barra rod? but it would be nice!

Have you had an opportunity to set the drag using scales, and what seemed good to you? I have had reels become distinctly growly in the gears at a lot less than 5kg of drag off the reel on the scales.

But what typical barra terminals could handle 10kgs of drag ....... & the rod would need to look like a broom stick .... Nagg

You dont need 10kg of drag in a Barra reel.
    Angling skill is the answer, rod tecniques and well prepared gear.
    A smooth drag is very important though.

Nagg
    Any of the Millerod Camoufish rods will handle 10+kg of drag, after all they are rated to 15kg.
    No broomstick either, light, slim and very pokey.................pure quality.
    Jas

you sure about that Jas? i woulda thought that is the line rating, not drag rating. if anyone has ever held onto a jigging setup and pulled an honest 10kg of drag you'll know what i mean...its a crapload!

Guys,

Revo's do not have 10kg (or their advertised 24lb's) of Drag! A mate of mine who owns a Tackle Shop down in Atherton, who has been in the Tackle Indsutry for many years now (Owner of GNR Tackle) brought one as soon as it hit the shelves. Filled it with plain 30lb Braid..'s managed to pull about 8lb's at the top of the Spool, and about 16lb's at the Halfway mark (Line is always going to be harder to pull at this level of the Spool). Not being happy enough he opened up the Reel completely, and tightened and locked everything down as hard as physically possible and tried again. This time, about 10lb's at the top and he didn't even bother doing anything else with it. I ain't saying it's a bad Reel... for a Reel to come straight off the shelf and pull stat's like that is pretty impressive, but 10kg's is a load of shite! I know Bluewater Game Reels like Pro Challengers that are top of the market that would only be around 10/12kg's!!! Go figure! Abu's are like Datsuns, or friggin Hilux's... you can give them absolute hell but they will never die on you! They just take the knocks well... their Drag's arn't huge, but they do last (Credit to the Swed's!)

Thats my 5 cents worth. For me, it's either a Shimano Low Profile or Daiwa with an upgraded Drag fitted by Sir Jack. NAGG... going back to the Rods mate... read that you picked up the 10kg Texilium (or however you spell it!) and you said it felt like a Broomstick! Yep... sure does... but the 8kg model is hard to go past... great for Hardbodies.

Cheers

Theo.
    TT

Quote Originally Posted by the_matrix View Post
    You dont need 10kg of drag in a Barra reel.
    Angling skill is the answer, rod tecniques and well prepared gear.
    A smooth drag is very important though.

Nagg
    Any of the Millerod Camoufish rods will handle 10+kg of drag, after all they are rated to 15kg.
    No broomstick either, light, slim and very pokey.................pure quality.
    Jas
    Jas ... no disrespect mate .... but "I dont think so!" ...... The rod may be rated to 15kgs ..... but that really only means around 5kgs of drag pressure!!!!!!!!!! & 15kg line class
    I've spoken to Ian when I had my Top end braid barra madeAttachment 15780 ...... Its rated at 5-8kgs test ( If I was to try to even pull 6kgs through the guides .... the rod would explode!
    Ian preferred to talk lure wt ratings rather than line class

Nagg

All This Talk Of Rods And Reels Is Getting Me Excited, Dam U Lads. Ha Ha. Gunna Ring Ian Tomorrow And Order A Camufish Boof Stick And Go Order In A Steel 100h Jdm. Sounds Like A Match Made In Heaven! Thanks For A Good Read And Sending Me Broke$$$ Just Kidding,be Worth Every Cent. Just Hope It Gets Here In Time For The Monduran Leg Of The Abt..

Quote Originally Posted by LOCKEDUP View Post
    All This Talk Of Rods And Reels Is Getting Me Excited, Dam U Lads. Ha Ha. Gunna Ring Ian Tomorrow And Order A Camufish Boof Stick And Go Order In A Steel 100h Jdm. Sounds Like A Match Made In Heaven! Thanks For A Good Read And Sending Me Broke$$$ Just Kidding,be Worth Every Cent. Just Hope It Gets Here In Time For The Monduran Leg Of The Abt..
    Its a bit like that ..... The more you learn .... the more you need / WANT
    Nagg

Hey Theo,

Regarding the Revo - can you confirm which model your mate took apart as there are a couple in the series... You are right if you are referring to the new Revo STX Premier (lighter version of the original STX) which by all accounts does not even come close to its stated 24lb drag pressure.

I can confirm that the original Revo STX definitely has approx 24lb of smooth drag pressure (out of the box). It is the best value for money LP reel with good line capacity (150m of 14lb mono) and is a very capable caster (comparable to the high-end daiwas). The handle is a tad heavy - I would change it to a bassart handle with daiwa cork knobs and away you go: the perfectly balanced reel.

Check out this link for a full review - to those who know the tackletour boys, they sure know what they are talking about when it comes to reel/gear and their experience/collection of JDM gear is impossible to beat

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewabugarciarevostx.html

Just my 2cents
    Hope that helps

Regards
    CT
    Last edited by 1337; 09-11-2007 at 10:54 PM.

I know what 10kgs of drag feels like, yes you can pull fence posts off!
    I grew up fishing for billfish and yellowfin so I know how much drag 10kg is!
    I would not have any problems doing that, my reels are all Erskine upgrades, but I still wont get anywhere near 10kgs of drag out of them.
    My point is that the camoufish rods will handle whatever you can dish out, Ive used them up the cape on bad ass 40lb coral trout, my mate has whacked 60lb GTs on them in Gladstone harbour, and I lock up on BIG saltwater Barra locally using 80lb braid around heay structure where a foot of line and its all over.

Nagg you will not break a millerod on a fish, other than miss-use.
    A top end Barra braid is a light rod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    6-8kg is a light rod built for light Barra.
    Any of the camoufish range is rated 12-15kg, which is nearly double the rating of the rod you speak of.
    Last edited by the_matrix; 10-11-2007 at 12:06 AM.

I've broken line at 17lb on the scales over a fairly stiff 7' rod (silstar crystal powertip 701swh) when considering that rod for another application.

I guess that's around 7kg and a bit, the rod angles were fairly low, and it was a big effort.

There could be a prize on funniest home video for a fisher who suddenly disconnects from a barra while pulling 24lb of drag, I reckon;-) Either a very sudden sit down, or a swim could be anticipated?

Artesian, No didn't put the reel on scales to set the drag. I also have not fished it locked up. I have had no need to lock up the drag yet to bring in any fish.

Like 1337 said the guys on the US site have done a great job on testing the original Revo STX and also reviews on the Inshore model. When I bought me reel I just went by the manufacter stated specs. I also phoned the suppliers service department in Sydney and asked them questions about the reel specs.

All I know is this. I bought a Revo inshore and so did my mate. On my new Shimano Raider Impoundent Barra rod I had a great fun and a easy time landing metre Barra and so did my mate with his new Revo. For under $400 i felt like I got a great combo that i am really happy with. If I had my choice and a unlimited budget, I would have ordered a Camofish like the Matrix recommened.

Quote Originally Posted by the_matrix View Post
    I know what 10kgs of drag feels like, yes you can pull fence posts off!
    I grew up fishing for billfish and yellowfin so I know how much drag 10kg is!
    I would not have any problems doing that, my reels are all Erskine upgrades, but I still wont get anywhere near 10kgs of drag out of them.
    My point is that the camoufish rods will handle whatever you can dish out, Ive used them up the cape on bad ass 40lb coral trout, my mate has whacked 60lb GTs on them in Gladstone harbour, and I lock up on BIG saltwater Barra locally using 80lb braid around heay structure where a foot of line and its all over.

Nagg you will not break a millerod on a fish, other than miss-use.
    A top end Barra braid is a light rod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    6-8kg is a light rod built for light Barra.
    Any of the camoufish range is rated 12-15kg, which is nearly double the rating of the rod you speak of.
    Actually the TEB.Barra is aside from the Gulf Bass ( 20kg) the highest rated traditional barra rod in the Miller range (15kg) ..... so its not what you call a light rod ........ Its meant for use with 30lb braid but is only rated 5-8kg test ( I questioned this with Ian ... because I wanted a stick that I could use in the Timber at Peter Faust ...... & so this was Ians personal recommendation ( just prior to release of the Camofish range)
    Now back to the original arguement ..... I'm not saying that you cant catch huge fish on the TEB.Barra ( as I have) or the Camofish range!!!! You just cant pull 10-15kgs through the guides . ....... A very easy test is to hook up 10-15kgs of lifting weights ( on a smoothish surface) onto your 50lb braid ( your knots should hold) .... walk 10yards away & load the rod up to a 45 deg angle ....... If you can pull those weights ( thumbs on spool) & the rod does not pack it in .... I'll stand corrected & order my Camofish next week! ...... (Then you can have fun trying to pull line off the reel as the line would have bitten into the line load so tight ) Nagg
    PS I've exploded a Miller bream buster brawler (2-5kg) when I fished 14lb braid on My Certate 3000 & cranked up the drag .... on a hard running fish in a fast running tide (Missionary bay) ....... The fish was still 30yards out when the rod exploded in the mid section So it was an expensive learning exercise about overextending graphite rods!
    PPS ..... Now go have a look at a 37kg game stick ..... Meant to fish 12kgs (drag pressure)

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Now back to the original arguement .....
    Arguement? Who said anything about an arguement?
    I thought this was a forum?
    At least thats why I visit here, argueing is for sooks.

It seems you know all the answers to your questions, so that would also mean you would know that ROD ANGLES ALONE can significantly increase the amount of pressure you put on a fish.
    Not from the drag from the rod.
    Low rod angles=more pressure.

Im not interested in argueing, so from now on I'll keep my mouth shut