Thread: Which wt fly rod to get?

Which wt fly rod to get?

Looking at getting a fly rod for bass and trout and was just wondering what wt to get to cover the two. I will be bass fishing from a boat if that makes a difference and will be trout fishing in small creeks lakes. Any help with everything needed would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Which wt fly rod to get?

I was always told to use a 6wt for trout i wouldnt know about the Bass.

Anglermatt,

I see in your question that you intend fishing for trout in small creeks, lakes as well as from your boat. Also that you intend to chase Bass on fly as well.

I do a lot of trout fishing on fly in small creeks/rivers all the way up to fast flowing torrents as well as lakes and dams. I must admit i have two fly rods and both handle all of the above on given days. I use a 9ft 4wt as well as my 10ft 5wt.
    the 4wt has enough guts that it can handle a 5wt line over it no probs. The same with my 5wt handles 6wt lines as well. sometimes i wish i had a 7 or 8wt for salt water fly and large lake fly fishing but i make do.

Now down your options - to cover you in your pursuit and let you chase your chosen quarry in the locations you stated, i would recommend a good quality 9ft 5wt Fly rod that suits you. What i mean here is your casting action as everyone is different (Try Before you buy). This rod should also be able to step a line class to 6wt lines. It will also be small and light enough for use on smallish creeks etc but verging on a little heavy in my opinion. But it will still be functional in chasing Bass/EP and Bream etc.

I have fished for both out of a boat and Kayak and found that you should be fine with the 5wt. If you go that way, a reel with interchangeable spools is the go, that way you can have one with a Floating line and an other with either a Sinking/Intermediate or sink tip - if your reel comes with three spools go with a Floating - Intermediate or Sink Tip and a Full Sink. These will cover you for any eventuality in the chasing of your quarry.

One more thing, if you can have a look at the latest Fly Life Mag, It has an article on popular 6wt rods. But as i said in my experience a good quality 5wt will handle all that you are asking for it to do. Buy the best you can afford that suits your casting style.

Sorry for such a long winded reply but i thought i should be thorough - Hope it helps

Craig
    Last edited by Covertfly; 08-11-2007 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anglermatt View Post
    Looking at getting a fly rod for bass and trout and was just wondering what wt to get to cover the two. I will be bass fishing from a boat if that makes a difference and will be trout fishing in small creeks lakes. Any help with everything needed would be appreciated. Thanks.
    anglermatt...... Where do you intend to do your trout fishing ?
    I agree with Covertfly ...... except if you are fishing open windy lakes ! ..... Then you'll wish you had a 7wt !
    My main question would be what do you intend to fish for the most ! ( Typical bass flies tend to be larger than lake flies & much larger than river dry fly & nymphs) .... Nagg

Just picked up a new 6wt 9 foot "Rod and Fly" version yesterday.

Got a oversize light arbor reel to match - quicker on the line retrieve.

It's light, strong, flexible, and casts extremely well - even for a novice like me.

All IVE GOT TO DO IS GET IT WET NOW>

Brett

The bugman is still alive, How are you brett, hows things going down south, Heard that you got a new tinny again welcome back to the real life of fishin mate
    Cheers Dave

Anglermatt,
    As mentioned, covertfly, craig, has put heaps of good goss in his reply.
    I have only had one shot at trout fishing, in august this year. Bass fishing is much more the norm for me. I used an innovator distance 6/7# on the trout and found it over powered the garden varity size rainbows a tad. Bass on the other hand, that outfit fits the bill well. I don't know what your budget is but the innovator distance comes in at around the $160 mark. To cover your bases with a reel with interchangabe spools with floating. intermediate sink tip and fast sink as craig mentioned, will keep the door open for a wide range of of species on fly.
    As I mentioned, my trout fishing experience is very limmited, but be ready of or friend the bass. Fish in the high 30,s and up will try and pull your back teeth out if there is there is cover near by.
    Lets us know whow you go,
    Jeff.

Good day,
    I find a 6w good for small impoundments and larger creeks.A 7w as stated by Nagg will beat the wind.Down here in Tassie a 7w is all i use on our highland lakes due to this factor.
    I guess another positive for the 7w is that it may have some saltwater applications up your way.
    All the best
    Cheers
    Reidy

Question Re: Which wt fly rod to get?

I'm in the same boat as you, just getting into the trout, after years of Lure fishing. Everything I am being told at the moment is to look for the 5/6 or 6 weight and around the 9ft. But this is for trout, obviously others may be more up on what you need for bass.

Lockiboy,

Are you intending to just chase Bass on fly or will you use it for other species as well? (ie Bream, EP, Flathead - the list could go on and on)

Craig

Ive got an 8wt I use for saltwater fishing here in townsville targeting what ever I can. Picked up a few barra on it biggest was 90cm 10kg and the fight was pretty much in my favour. I reckon for estury fishing a 6wt would be fine, my 8wt is overkill for things like bream, small barra and jacks etc. 8wt is more suited to 60cm+ fish and the bigger flies needed. Im going to look at getting a 5wt for estury, light surf and small freshwater species ie sooties.

Covertfly.

At this stage I love chasing trout, particulary the high country ones, there is nothing quite like getting away and the smeel of crisp clean air. So for the moment that's what I will be chasing.

LockiBoy,

Okay then, In that case IMHO i would recommend a 9ft 5wt for you, this would be a good all rounder, it will still let you chase the high country Trout etc and can also be used to chase Bream and Bass. The reason i recommend a 5wt is it can still be used on windy days on the high country lakes and streams although it may be a little heavy for some of the really small streams and creeks but still usable. It can be used on Bream and Bass etc in the salt and Fresh/brackish for the bass/EP's etc. although it may be a little under gunned in some situations. But if your into for the thrill and enjoy the challenge it will be ideal. Others may say go for a 6wt but you will find it will be too much for the small creeks and streams IMHO.

Hope that helps

Craig