Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IMPOUNDMENT BARRA ROD ( Advice)

Question IMPOUNDMENT BARRA ROD ( Advice)

Hi Members ..... This is one for the impoundment barra enthusiasts/ gurus.
    I'm after on some advice on a overhead rod that is suitable for long casts with 100-130mm slick rigs or 100 - 120mm hard bodies. Preferably a single handed rod (though 6'6" in length)
    The rod could be matched with either my existing Daiwa Zillion or Calcutta 400 ( less likely) ..... or maybe something else. (30lb braid)
    My recent experience show that all of my rods (6'2" ... Miller Top end braid barra , 6' Loomis GL3 & Daiwa Procaster X) are either too stiff & heavy ( OK for short casting / trolling) or too light to cast the bigger SPs & Lures (Loomis)
    I'm open to all suggestions ..... As long as the rod is fit for purpose & can be used all day without my arm falling off!
    Comon guys ( & gals) .... I need the good oil on this one ... Cheers , Nagg

Re: IMPOUNDMENT BARRA ROD ( Advice)

Nagg
    Just tried out the B8-6 Egrell on the week at Awoonga/Monduran and it cast 100-130 slickis out of sight even when using 50lbs. Its shorter than you wanted though at 6 foot but has a light tip to cast but heaps of low down grunt. Its rated to 10-12kg.
    Cheers
    Ben
    Last edited by eotbmg; 04-11-2007 at 08:10 PM.

Check out the millerod camoufish range on the millerods website.
    Purpose built impoundment Barra rods rated 12-15kg but nice and soft in the tip.
    The high roller is suited to what you are after, but are double handed casters.
    More accurate with two hands, less effort.
    Nothing else on the market comes close in my opinion.
    Prices are not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
    Worth looking at.
    Jas

Quote Originally Posted by eotbmg View Post
    Nagg
    Just tried out the B8-6 Egrell on the week at Awoonga/Monduran and it cast 100-130 slickis out of sight even when using 50lbs. Its shorter than you wanted though at 6 foot but has a light tip to cast but heaps of low down grunt. Its rated to 10-12kg.
    Cheers
    Ben
    Thanks Ben .... i'll try to check it out ( no Sydney dealers for Egrell) .... Need to go 120kms north
    I would be surprised for a 6 footer could meet my needs ..... Nagg

Quote Originally Posted by the_matrix View Post
    Check out the millerod camoufish range on the millerods website.
    Purpose built impoundment Barra rods rated 12-15kg but nice and soft in the tip.
    The high roller is suited to what you are after, but are double handed casters.
    More accurate with two hands, less effort.
    Nothing else on the market comes close in my opinion.
    Prices are not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
    Worth looking at.
    Jas
    Ta ... Jas , I was trying to avoid a skeletal built 2 hander ( I cant cast 2 handed to save my life) ....... I'd rather go a lighter reel ( low profile) & longer single handed rod!
    Around $700 from memory ..... Is pretty expensive ( but I wont rule it out yet!) .... Nagg

NAGG,

Mate whatever you do, don't buy a Rod over the Internet unless you've held it in your hands before and know the feel etc. You are probably smart enough to know this already, but just incase!!!! One thing I like to do when buying Rods, is to take a Reel that Im going to match it to, marry the two instore and just have a feel + look at thing. I also like to tie a few Lures at the end to check for sensitivity and sag.

Don't go for a Rod that is too soft though. Got to agree with Jas, the Camoufish's are like angel wand's... they are magic. If I had the cash, I wouldnt look at another Rod again. If your going to use Hardbody's 75% of the time over Plastic's, go for a Rod that has a fairly stiff tip to it that will give you a good crisp Lure action. Go the other way and perhaps look for a Rod with a softish tip and fast taper for Plastics. There is soo much to consider when buying a Rod!!!! But, if you spend big then rest assured you should run into what is a good allround Rod I reckon. I am in the place of upgrading to a few Rods at the moment and although I won't be shopping big, I will be shopping hard,

Cheers

Theo.
    TT

The advantages of double handed casters is the point and shoot method, that is point the rod tip where you are going to cast, raise the rod straight over your shoulder and cast. When casting from the hip you have a bent arm which makes it harder to get cast control and accuracy.
    I used to cast single handed, and yep it was a hard habit to break, but it takes bugger all time to get accurate. I still cast single handed at times, but when plastic fishing, double handed means more power thus longer casts.
    Fatigue becomes less of an issue as well.

To be honest you need more than one rod for this style of fishing. Short (5'8 to 6 foot) is ideal for twitching hb's, and I like 7 feet for plastics. Gives great line contol and feedback.
    It can be an expensive game!

By the way, I only use low profiles as well, a lightweight outfit is the key for big sessions I reckon.
    Good luck finding the right rod.
    Jas

Quote Originally Posted by TinarooTriumph View Post
    NAGG,

Mate whatever you do, don't buy a Rod over the Internet unless you've held it in your hands before and know the feel etc. You are probably smart enough to know this already, but just incase!!!! One thing I like to do when buying Rods, is to take a Reel that Im going to match it to, marry the two instore and just have a feel + look at thing. I also like to tie a few Lures at the end to check for sensitivity and sag.

Don't go for a Rod that is too soft though. Got to agree with Jas, the Camoufish's are like angel wand's... they are magic. If I had the cash, I wouldn't look at another Rod again. If your going to use Hardbody's 75% of the time over Plastic's, go for a Rod that has a fairly stiff tip to it that will give you a good crisp Lure action. Go the other way and perhaps look for a Rod with a softish tip and fast taper for Plastics. There is soo much to consider when buying a Rod!!!! But, if you spend big then rest assured you should run into what is a good allround Rod I reckon. I am in the place of upgrading to a few Rods at the moment and although I won't be shopping big, I will be shopping hard,

Cheers

Theo.
    Hi Theo ..... Mate I wont even consider a rod for this application before I pick one up & feel it with my choice of reels on it.
    My Miller is a ripper ( & would stop anything) but its a chore to use all day! ..... I actually like my Procaster X ( Its a cracker for the price) & has landed a couple of good barra 103 & 105cm ...... but long term the 4 single foot guides will give in..... The Loomis is really a big bass & Jack rod ( salty barra too) ........ So its time to get something more suited to point casting etc ........ The Zillion will probably be the reel used .... but I may look at Calcutta TE250DC ( if I can get one at the right price ) ...... I've got the next 3-4 months up my sleeve , so I can take my time ... & get the right rod! ..... balance , not too stiff or soft ... + plenty of balls ( big ask!!!)
    So I'm all ears atm .... Cheers .. Nagg

Quote Originally Posted by the_matrix View Post
    The advantages of double handed casters is the point and shoot method, that is point the rod tip where you are going to cast, raise the rod straight over your shoulder and cast. When casting from the hip you have a bent arm which makes it harder to get cast control and accuracy.
    I used to cast single handed, and yep it was a hard habit to break, but it takes bugger all time to get accurate. I still cast single handed at times, but when plastic fishing, double handed means more power thus longer casts.
    Fatigue becomes less of an issue as well.

To be honest you need more than one rod for this style of fishing. Short (5'8 to 6 foot) is ideal for twitching hb's, and I like 7 feet for plastics. Gives great line contol and feedback.
    It can be an expensive game!

By the way, I only use low profiles as well, a lightweight outfit is the key for big sessions I reckon.
    Good luck finding the right rod.
    Jas
    Ta Jas .... no probs having 2 outfits ( which I prefer anyway) ..... My Miller covers the short stuff / Troll .... S o I'm really after a point casting rod ( longer) to ease the burden off a 12 hour day on the water ( predominately casting) ..... I guess you don't need such a broomstick out of the timber as well ... Nagg
    PS I struggle 2 handed because I'm a natural left hander ....... That swings a bat/club/axe right handed ..... so my educated thumb would be off the spool

I find my Loomis CBR 756 a good all round impoundment barra rod. Its 6'3" with a slowish action and plenty of power in the butt, but it does have a double hand rear grip. It has probably landed me 30+ barra in the past twelve months on everything from hardbodies to fizzers to plastics. Around half of those fish were over the meter mark, and I have not yet felt under gunned with this rod- however Im sure that day will come!
    On the subject of Millerods, I had a 6' camofish stiletto spin rod made up earlier this year, and if the baitcast rods are anything like this stick then you couldn't go wrong there either.

Quote Originally Posted by mikooh View Post
    I find my Loomis CBR 756 a good all round impoundment barra rod. Its 6'3" with a slowish action and plenty of power in the butt, but it does have a double hand rear grip. It has probably landed me 30+ barra in the past twelve months on everything from hardbodies to fizzers to plastics. Around half of those fish were over the meter mark, and I have not yet felt under gunned with this rod- however Im sure that day will come!
    On the subject of Millerods, I had a 6' camofish stiletto spin rod made up earlier this year, and if the baitcast rods are anything like this stick then you couldn't go wrong there either.
    Thanks Mikooh ...... I'm a fan of Millerods ( but before I capitulate & buy a 2 handed Camofish high roller) .... I wanted to hear some other opinions I will check out the newer range of Loomis as well.
    I really do want to get my paws on an Egrell BeaR B6L ..... & see how it compares ...... Nagg

may want to consider custom....Hastings GUSA 65XH 6'6" is a superb blank, can be casted both single and double handed although double is better for some added distance and less fatigue. a good custom rod will be better than anything off the shelf, as every aspect can be tailored to suit your requirements

Quote Originally Posted by wheezer View Post
    may want to consider custom....Hastings GUSA 65XH 6'6" is a superb blank, can be casted both single and double handed although double is better for some added distance and less fatigue. a good custom rod will be better than anything off the shelf, as every aspect can be tailored to suit your requirements
    I was thinking about making my own! ( Thanks for the lowdown on the blank) .... Nagg

Nagg
    Hi Mate, The EGRell 6L is the one. 6 foot 10 inches, 6-10 KG and light as a feather. Eric designed it specifically for what you said, casting long casts with slick rigs etc at weed beds and points. I use mine for slow rolling slickies over creek beds. Also found it awesome for lobbing surface poppers from a great distance so not to spook fish. Way more esponsive and softer in the tip than the 7' TD advantage I once had and way lighter. Handles big fish with ease. havnt had to cast it all day yet, but I am sure it will get a big work out at Awoonga in the Barra tour comp.

hope this helps. steve
    Last edited by Steve B; 05-11-2007 at 02:07 PM.

Hi Chris sounds like good advice everybody has given . I use a 6,6 live fibre from wilson single handed over head and it works a treat up in the dams cought all my barra on it planty over a m now. although i bet steve B has got the best oil on the right gear as a would guess he has cought anout M barra to wrap around the world!!!! and last year i took it to work with me and really tested it on a few cobia and bar macks etc Hope it was a help check them out Craig