Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IMPOUNDMENT BARRA ROD ( Advice)

Re: IMPOUNDMENT BARRA ROD ( Advice)

Rod,
    Were you looking for the article where that comment was made?
    I am fairly sure that I know who and where to find it.
    I would have to chase back to find out what exactly what month but if it is important to you I can do that, just let me know.
    Sent me a PM if you want further details.

Bad_Bazza

Yeah Baz,

New book that has a bit on graphites, gsp and fish fighting.
    Have been researching the amounbt of myth and misconception out
    there...sorting the pepper from the flyshit, sort of.
    Just the magazine & page will do...Can get the ed to do the rest,
    It may be something ambiguous like feints cod and sometimes barra make when hitting lures with a gobfull of pressurised water reverse thrusted thru the gills. In whch case the benefit of the doubt.
    Thanks again.
    (thanks NAGG for the lead re the black bass stick. Will follow that one up)
    Have a fishy christmas, everyone.
    Last edited by rod harrison; 24-12-2007 at 06:12 AM.

I once read a thread by Harro about a Rod and Reel which was recommended by a living legend (JE) Harro's thoughts were that for the cost of the rod and reel it was value for money (all up btw $200/$300) very capable of handling big girls. Purchased the combo and can confirm it's capabilities, I cast this outfit at least the length of a cricket pitch, I believe if u need to cast further than that u are too far away from your quarry, Im assuming that you are using an Electric motor for a bit of sneaky approach, My point I guess is their is very capable gear out there in the lower to mid range price for half the price. Of late there has been some comment about the quality control of a particular top name rod, Now having said all that and sounding like a hypocrit I would dearly like to get my hands on one of (EG) rods, I suppose my comments offer another perspective and capable lower end price range, Cheers and Merry Christmas to all Whitto

Quote Originally Posted by TinarooTriumph View Post
    Heads up for those Baitcast Live Fibre Rods... they got BALLS! Very well Built Rod with plenty of grunt.

i broke my live fibre rod last time i was monduran and i was even loading it right up and i was defintley not high sticking it as a barra had me stuck around a tree and was still pulling line i was just trying to get my salf sorted out on what to do with the fish ion the ways of getting it off the and he pulled a little more line and rod whent bang it was a blade series 8 kg wilson live fibre used it twice so now ive gone back to a fibre glass / graphite like the uglys sticks i know its heavier but i just have to get use to that i think those live fibre blade would be better suited for weed edges and open water in my opinion. I think i have to save up for a engrell or gloomis and also thats the second live fibre thats has broken both purchase at same time other broke when chasing jack they might have had a dude batch of blanks i notice they have stop selling them now

Just a note to all the anglers out there who have not got $500 to spend on a rod, really you don't have to spend that much on gear to catch baara, but my advice is to buy the best you can afford. I have caught the odd barra over the metre [pb 117 in timber at night]and a lot of these barra including my pb were taken on a $50 graphite pioneer perfect cast rod. I have now upgraded , I suppose what I am trying to say don't think you can't start barra fishing if you are not rich.

Cheers Foxie

Still using GH leader in 2008

Whitto and Foxie are right. cheaper rods ($80-$200 range) have come a long way over the last few years as many companies (shimano, daiwa, wilson, phluger etc) are getting into the growning impundment scene. they are producing good quality gear for that price, definatly capable of landing big fish. I have been spoilt by having Egrell rods now and personally would never go back, however my first rods I ever used for barra (shimano raider, diawa procaster Z, daiwa davantage, Abu Morrum braid) all did the trick superbly, and are still getting around up here catching barra with another Ausfish member who reports on here regularly.

What I trying to get at is simlar to Foxie. Get what you can afford, within reason, it will do the job. If it doesnt. upgrade next time!!

For the Record the GH leader foxie talks about is CHEAP and NASTY but goes OK, bit like Foxie!

cheers steve

Quote Originally Posted by Magella View Post
    Just a note to all the anglers out there who have not got $500 to spend on a rod, really you don't have to spend that much on gear to catch baara, but my advice is to buy the best you can afford. I have caught the odd barra over the metre [pb 117 in timber at night]and a lot of these barra including my pb were taken on a $50 graphite pioneer perfect cast rod. I have now upgraded , I suppose what I am trying to say don't think you can't start barra fishing if you are not rich.

Cheers Foxie

Still using GH leader in 2008
    AND NO ONE CAN ARGUE AGAINST THAT !!!

However part of the enjoyment of fishing comes from the tackle that one uses. As one progresses & improves in their ability .... so does the desire to own tackle that enhances / compliments that ability . .... Keeping in mind, you have the means to afford such tackle. .... Nagg

PS .... Foxies comment reminded me of my LBG days where we would go & fish off the stones in search of Tuna , Kings & ultimately Marlin.
    We were fishing the "Ovens" whale beach NSW with our custom made LBG sticks , Penn International 30 & 50 Game reels , harnesses etc......
    A middle eastern gentleman fishing next to us using a K Mart spin rod with about a 4000 size spin reel .... hooks what we thought was Terra firma .... a minute or so later a small 30-40kg black marlin is dancing all over the ocean .... After 30 mins or so ..... he brings it to the rocks ( unfortunately he never spoke English) . I moved on to the lower ledge to see if I could grab the short wire trace he was using ...... not understanding that I wanted him to step back & just before my mate handed me the gaff ......... the trace wore though ... & off she swam ( the fish was well & truly beaten) ..... A magnificent sight
    So as Foxie said .... you dont need to spend a fortune to catch good fish ! ...... BUT IT'S FUN IF YOU CAN Nagg

Hey Professor
    Fairs, Fair I know I'm Cheap but I don't think I am nasty you Plick

Foxie

i remeber years ago that one of the best rods going around was the ugly stick always wanted one but could afford it. but now there middle of the range and great value for what you get tough as nails not to heavy you can pick them up for around $70 then you get these jarvis walker one tuff tips which are identical in every way and you can get them for around $40 i have caught most of my barra on one of them and it has handle every bit of punishment i have givin it also i have caught metre plus spanish mackeral on it and it didnt not even look like ever breaking . now what they 've done with both the ugly stick and the jarvis is put a percentage of graphite in to the blank to give you that sensitivity that the full graphite rods have . I aslo think if you not to gentle on ya gear a fiberglass rod is defintley the way to go as the graphite you have to be very carefull tapping them on anything so im one of these angler who isnt gentle so im sticking with the glass i think
    Last edited by nipsta; 24-12-2007 at 12:33 PM.

Sorry Foxie, that was a bit harsh, I meant cheap and EASY!!

I was going to drop in this morning but we got busy!
    might get down later. GH all the way steve

PS I see Glendon got a couple yesterday.
    Last edited by Steve B; 24-12-2007 at 12:57 PM.

I think that was a quote from Mr Steptoe when he was talking about night trolling in the dams with his prefered G-loomis stick