Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gang hooks

gang hooks

advice for making my own gang hooks, type, size, methods etc etc

Cheers

Re: gang hooks

G'day Scottles, I use 3 4/0 or 5/0 tru turn hooks, depending on the size of the bait with a small swivel in between each hook. That way the hooks are free to turn whichever way they want on hook up.

Kezza

Sorry stottles not scottles just realized I made a typo

Hi mate

I use mustad 4200 D hooks. These are the salt water hooks which most people use for gangs. There is another hook available which has an open eye; the 4202 D, but this is a bit more expensive, and if you only use these, you will have the top hook with a turned down eye.

the method is pretty simple. I get a pair of wire cutters and place it between the end of the eye (bit of metal touching the shank) and the shank. I squeeze here, this will open the eye only about 2 mm (i use the tapered surface of the cutters only, not the cutting part itself), which is all you need to put the point of the next hook through. But before I put the next hook in i'll turn the eye down with some pliers. I'll then put the point through first, and close up the eye.
    Make sure it is closed just enough so that the hook wont come out, but the gang is free to move and jingle about. Otherwise this will impede hookup.

For tailor i'll link 3/0 and 4/0's together in gangs of 3 or 4.
    ive also made up a set of 3 x 6/0's for jew and bull sharks

cheers

Owen

Seems to be simliair methods i use the saltwater mustard or similiar brand use a pair of hook openers that have a replaceable hook opener when one wares down. From rigging 3 5/O's then i use a 4 foot long single strand wire trace twist thru the eyelet of the hook and the swivel and bob's ya uncle.
    And depending on size of the bait i may use 6/O 's for pike or mullet.
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

Quote Originally Posted by jtpython View Post
    use a pair of hook openers that have a replaceable hook opener when one wares down.
    JT
    Jt, what's a hook opener?and where do you get them?

I used to use Mustads but had a few too many failures with them so I now buy Gamatsu "Gangsters".

They are much more expensive hook but you will see the difference between them and the Mustads just by looking at them. They are a thinner hook with a more polished surface which makes them easier to penetrate the baitfish. I have no evidence but I suspect that they are of a better quality stronger metal also.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Jt, what's a hook opener?and where do you get them?
    Mate they are like a pair of large oversized long nosed pliers, and where the handle section is there are some cone shaped pins that go into a hole and you adjustment is by a screw that allows the cone shaped pin to go further into the hole to allow the eyelet to open.
    $27 from local tackle shop here or i have seen them at BCF they have adjustable cones to replace if they ware down.
    They are great Scott and i only use them for that reason otherwise they may get bit surface rust from the saltwater so they stay home.
    Cheers buddy
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

Gamakatsu Gangsters in gangs of 3 or 4 depnding on hook and bait size I use a swivel on the first hook to reduce line twist, have a look and feel at these hooks and you wont buy another brand these are the sharpest hooks going full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlikes2fish View Post
    have a look and feel at these hooks and you wont buy another brand these are the sharpest hooks going full stop.

Yup - that is my sentiment. Worth the extra cost.

I am not a fan of using a swivel between the hooks. You soon learn how to hook up a pillie without it and they sit very flat. I have seen a number of separations with the swivels between hooks.

Just one swivel on the top hook and make sure the top hook is straight not turned in as the turn in can lead to the swivel not sitting right.

I've had some problems opening up the eyes on some hooks.

some hooks are made of high carbon steel and seem to be heat treated after the hook is formed.
    If you open up the eyes on these hooks the close em back up ... failures occur in the eye.

some hooks have problems others don't.

Dont use you good side cutters either..... if the hooks are hard... they will make a mess of your cutters.

proper hook openers may work better too.

cheers

Second that Charlie.Once you used the gangsters,you never use anything else.Hook up is just about a sure thing with them and they are still sharp after a couple trips.Only downfall is i cant seems to get them under 3/0.
    George
    At Heaven's gate a soldier stood,
    his story ready to tell,
    St Peter said, 'no need my son all is understood,
    Go right in cos you've already served your time in Hell'

where do u buy the gansgters. not at bcf.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheech View Post
    I am not a fan of using a swivel between the hooks. You soon learn how to hook up a pillie without it and they sit very flat. I have seen a number of separations with the swivels between hooks..

One benefit of the Gamatsu Gangsters is that because they are a thinner smooth surface hook, they are a lot easier to thread through the baitfish. There is less friction between the shank of one hook and the eye of the next so you would not need swivels between hooks with them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    where do u buy the gansgters. not at bcf.
    I get mine from BCF.

They are boxed - not cheap but very good.