Thread: Fish Identity

Fish Identity

This might be a silly question folks, but can you tell me is this fish a Mangrove Jack or a Bream?

It was very red in colour rather than silver.
    What are the defining points in telling the difference? I was puzzled about the tail, its not straight like I thought a Jack would be... but that colour.... very red!

It went back into the water of course.

cheers
    Mike

Re: Fish Identity

mate looks like a jack to me, and a very nice one at that. good work!!!!

cam
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

Here is a picture mate to help you distinguish a bream from a jack

cheers tim

Definatley a Jack mate and by the looks an alright one.

Mangrove Jacks are very distinctive in the way they fight. Very different to Bream. Once hooked you normally know you haven't got a Bream on the end of the line. That was a very healthy looking Jack. Well done on getting it in.

Poodroo

Thanks for your replies guys.

I thought it was a Jack myself, but the slight fork in the tail threw me.
    It was legal, but I had already a few good Bream in the bag, so I was happy to let him swim again.

Its the first Jack I have caught.... caught on live bait, herring.

Thanks again folks....

Mike

Definately a jack and a cracker
    well done mate and good on yo for releasing it
    good work
    cheers monostretcho

They dont normally have that split in the tail. This fish has been damaged at some point. If his tail was good, he would have fought a bit harder too. Looks like he was about 30cm? Min size is 35cm. check out the reports section for how the tail should look. They look more silver in the water, and good more red/bronze when captured.

Apart from the color, the easiest defining point is the teeth. jacks have fangs like a wolf, bream do not.

Theyre very addictive, youll be back for more.

cheers
    Andrew

Great jack there mate.

If you ever go fishing up on the northern barrier reef, don't confuse a mangrove jack with a red bass which looks very similar but is poisonous. But you shouldn't have to worry about them in the rivers or bays in south east QLD.

cheers

Owen

yeah jack for sure. Jacks are a reddy brown in colour, and have dog like fangs, they also go by the name dog bream or dog snapper in some circles. Where as a bream is silver, but depending on species, may be grey to sometimes a dark black in colour (pikey bream), bream have teeth, but are a lot smaller and are more rounded, rather than pointy, a bream also has a smaller mouth that a jack.

In terms of fighting, pound for pound, jacks are by far the better fighting fish, going off like all hell has broken loose to get into cover, possibly the hardest fighting fish for their size in my opinion.

Btw top catch and well done on your first jack.

Yeah mate Jack.
    Its not a forked tail. Just slightly damaged.
    Nice fish!

Angus