Thread: Pike?

Pike?

Could someone give me more details about these pike used for live-bait etc.
    I'm unfamiliar with them (I'm a southener).
    Scientific name would be good start
    Thanks

Re: Pike?

hhmm I think pike are found almost all the East Coast, they are OK for live bait, but do not stay alive all that well (especially if caught in deeper water) and their scales fall off in your hands, so you need to handle them with care, plus they also stink, so I guess the poor old pike does not have a lot going for it, and surprisingly enough, they are Ok to eat, and I have heard of them referred to as "Sabre Tooth Whiting" when sold as fillets.

I'm not sure that's the pike we get in SE Qld, which we usually call a yellowtail pike. Grant gives it's scientific name as Sphyraenella obtusata. They can be caught on bait jigs, small flesh or prawn baits or with a piece of yellow wool tied above about a number 2 long shank hook. These are jigged up and down around the piles of jetties and the pike hammer the moving baits. They would be difficult to keep alive for any length of time but do make a great dead bait for big tailor, mackerel and jew. They are also an excellent fish to use as a trolled bait for the toothy brigade.
    Cheers Freeeedom
    Cheers

Did a bit of a search and ended up more confused than before I started. It seems that it might also be known as Sphyraena obtusata and be synonymous with Sphyraena flavicauda (that means that 2 scientists have separately described the fish and given it two different names). It is widely distributed and is a very good bait no matter what it's name is. They are also quite good to eat, despite the smell of the mucus on them - they should be filleted as soon as possible after capture as the flesh goes soft fairly quickly after death. I'm quite happy to have a feed of freshly caught pike, since they taste just as good as winter whiting, grow twice as big and fight about ten times better.
    Here's a couple of piucs I grabbed from the web
    Cheers Freeeedom

indeed there is a few 'types" of Pike, but they are all very similar and respond to the same techniques for capture, so I guess it just depends on where you live as to the exact species you will actually catch, I have caught both the "Southern" Pike, and the "northern" one that is caught around the Sunshine coast and they are slightly different.

They should be called Pikus Terrificus because large Jew love them. Freshly caught and put back out as a live bait they can last two hours or more but are usually snapped up well before that.

And, Freedom is right. They make a good feed as well.

G'day!

The ones I have caught could take a gang of at least 20 hooks. How do I place hook/hooks in them for use as livies?

RayDeR

Just put a 7/0, 8/0 or 10/0 (whatever gives the best fit) just in front of the dorsal fin but not, of course, touching the backbone. For large Jew the length of the pike does not seem to matter.

interesting to know that there not bad chewin...... never would have dreamed of it personally.

i can also say that the pike caught up here at the sunny coast do differ to the ones ive caught at amity point, nth straddie. very similar but some lack colour.

live baited plenty of LT tuna, turrum and mackeral from amity on these suckers.....easy to catch, piece of plastic bag on long shank hook will do it....i find using the jigs can be very productive ...or the opposite when you get 2 or 3 and end up with a ball of jigs n pike.....recently nailed about 30 in as many minutes on SX40 at amity jetty.....most were released just doin it for fun and kept a few for bream bait. one went out live.....15min and a bloody huge ray took a liking to it.....was...lets say.....VERY TIRESOME on my 8lb fireline considerin it was nearly a metre across.

all the same........in my view......PIKE ARE A GREAT LIVE OR DEAD BAIT!!!!
    will have to try them on the tooth next time i hit a patch of good ones.

nipper