Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cheaters

cheaters

Just wondering how many people here have used spud cannons for surf fishing?

Re: cheaters

Quote Originally Posted by cody1382 View Post
    Just wondering how many people here have used spud cannons for surf fishing?
    Definitely given it a hell of a lot of thought. yet to figure out the exact logistics of it, actually attaching the bait to something that will project from the barrel a decent distance... then possible break off or act as a float.

Let me know if you sort it out... i will be interested

just wire on a pilly add a 5 foot sinker leader on the bottom of ya surf rig
    stuff ya sinker in a lemon an walk about 50 yards of line up the beach let loose an turn that sweet 100 yard cast in to a 400 yard cast. the more line you lay out on the beach the more distance.
    keepn the bait on an lookn good at the same time is a bit of atrick though

Why thank you, that is very useful. ill have to give it a try next time im at the beach and there are no police officers around

oh yeah traffic heavy beaches not a good idea
    takes a bit of buggern around but once you get it right
    youll be fishn beachs on other countrys

I for one love things that go bang! A cautionary tale if you will allow me.

But PVC can rupture without warning! No Stress cracks! No pressure signs!

I experienced this first hand, years ago and swore off spud guns for life.

Lets just say shrapnel and a close call with an artery!

An isolated beach with few users is a receipe for disaster!

You may have launched your bait over the feeding area!

I have seen a one armed guy using a compressed air launcher as a casting aid.

I myself have used a slingshot.

Maybe he lost his arm from a spud gun incident
    Grow old disgracefully

id show you mine but my brothers got it at the moment
    full stainless steel
    there is a saftey factor for using pvc spud cannons
    fire chamber to barrel lenght volume ratio but i forgot it its probally on the net some where.
    google spud guns in america you should find it.
    but yes this is a projectile launching cumbustion device an there not toys
    (becomes pretty obvious after the first time you use them)
    nver seen one explode myself but im sure it can happen
    still if used properly there heaps of completely illegal fun
    (go at your own risk. Thers a reason there illegal)

If you want to drop your bait out 2klms...why not buy a boat? Otherwise , you'll probably find that most of the fish are at your feet in the shallows!

Last Fraser trip we tried drilling a hole in a golf ball and launch it with a driver. Didn't work, but was fun trying it.

For the shrapnel effect, we usually wrap the whole thing in duct tape. We've had 2 explode on us and the tape stops the shrapnel. Only used the heavy duty gaffer tape style though as anything cheaper will just heat up and let the shrapnel fly.

Havent tried it for beach fishing but id imagine that the bait would be completely ripped off as momentum takes hold

I know a bloke who has made a compressed air rocket launcher using 600ml empty coke bottles, in a PVC tube, so there you have a missile, and a float.

Apparently if you google search soda bottle rockets you will find heaps of info.
    He puts fins on the end, and they go for miles
    If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, politicians must be from uranus ?

Ausfish Bronze Member

I think I may have the perfect tool for those extra long casts. Here are a couple of photos of it. This is a one sixth scale replica of the 12 lb cannon that was used on the upper gun deck of "HMS VICTORY". The length of the gun in the photo is 20 inches. The caliber is 0.629 inches (12 gauge) and it is now 30 years old. I scratch built every part of it from plans I had kept for over 40 years. I used to take it to Brisbane and shoot it in the competitions held every year. I won every shoot with it. Yes, it does work and is very accurate. It weighs 10kg and kicks like a mule. And NO! you cant have it. It is now a family heirloom but I still shoot it. It fires a precision round lead patched ball and used black powder. No, it will never be used for fishing.
    Eagle

That is one of the coolest things ive ever seen
    do you dress up like a pirate at such events?
    Have you ever smoked anything with it like an old car or somethin?
    How the hell do you got a licence for a cannon?
    Truly a work of art nice one mate.

Pretty sure you dont need a licence as they are classified as an antique weapon. Did look into it a couple of years ago when a mate was casting a few up. He is a pattern maker and did a couple up for a guys front verandah. Then was working on a fully functioning one. Must see how it turned out.

Did see somewhere on the net a bloke had made a cannon that shot old bowling balls. Have to see if I can drag up the link.