Thread: raby bay bar!!!

raby bay bar!!!

hi all,

well it was blowing a hurricane the other day, but the missus was hell bent on wetting a line, so i wieghed up my options, and thought we would have a look around raby bay!.. seemed like a good idea, quick dash out from cleveland, then into the shelter of the canals.

well the short trip there was rough as guts, and upon entering a few canals, i felt awkward setting up anchor in front of someones house. so we motored around for a bit (bout an hour) and ended up fishing only for a bout 15mins. 0n re turning to the main canal/chanel, it was obvious that the wind had increased significantly. we 'crawled' back towards cleveland and coped a few straight over the bow!! i was gettin nervous by this stage, with the only re-assurance of being able to see the VMR building . i took it as easy as i could and apologised to the missus, who didn't seem to mind all that much, and eventually made it back. while retrieving my boat, i noticed two guys launching their 3.7m tinnie!! they had taken off before i had a chance to talk to them!!

anyway, long story but i have a question: are you allowed to fish in raby bay, and if so, does it produce fish?? i saw no other people fishing from boats, and only a couple of people fishing off jetty's. also, is there a ramp that runs straight into raby bay??

cheers

pete
    " Sea 'n' Things " 420 Quintrex-Suzuki 30

Re: raby bay bar!!!

G'day

Must have been a northerly!

You would have been better off shooting up tinny creek.

Yes u are allowed to fish, yes it produces, and no, no ramp that i'm aware of, public at least anyway.

Dave

g'day blackened, what fish does it produce. bream, jacks, trevs??

thanks, shappy

My brother is feeding up the bream for us with lots of chook pellets. Some are getting just about right to catch
    Some decent crabs in there as well.
    Just keep in mind some people are more protective with their boats then their cars in there so be careful around the boats.
    If you can get a drift they work pretty good and with the canals going every which way you should be able to find one that'll drift well.
    And if your in the marina side and the fish aren't co-operating you can always tie up at the public dock and go and get an ice-cream or similar
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Ooh forgot..there's some decent mullet in there and I can't see why there wouldn't be any Jacks.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

G'day

Bream, trevally, jacks... was even report of barramundi, this came out of the woodwork when that one @ bribie was caught.

Mullet, squid, will even get the odd squire, gar... you name it. Go down and have a go, let us know what you've caught.

Dave

I have only fished the canals landbased but have caught bream, moses perch, squire and flounder predominantly casting lightly weighted whitebait up close to the pontoons.

Regards

Chris

thanks guys, definitely going to get in there and give it a go!!!

thanks, shappy

thaks guys, great responses there. in the few minutes i was anchored, i thought i was in a reasonably out of the way position, until one of the many monsterous cruisers turned my direction! they are quite intimidating when your not sure if you should be there or not!!!

i will have to give it a crack one day when the weather is not as average!!

cheers
    pete
    " Sea 'n' Things " 420 Quintrex-Suzuki 30

Quote Originally Posted by HIGH and DRY View Post
    hi all,

well it was blowing a hurricane the other day, but the missus was hell bent on wetting a line, so i wieghed up my options, and thought we would have a look around raby bay!.. seemed like a good idea, quick dash out from cleveland, then into the shelter of the canals.

well the short trip there was rough as guts, and upon entering a few canals, i felt awkward setting up anchor in front of someones house. so we motored around for a bit (bout an hour) and ended up fishing only for a bout 15mins. 0n re turning to the main canal/chanel, it was obvious that the wind had increased significantly. we 'crawled' back towards cleveland and coped a few straight over the bow!! i was gettin nervous by this stage, with the only re-assurance of being able to see the VMR building . i took it as easy as i could and apologised to the missus, who didn't seem to mind all that much, and eventually made it back. while retrieving my boat, i noticed two guys launching their 3.7m tinnie!! they had taken off before i had a chance to talk to them!!

anyway, long story but i have a question: are you allowed to fish in raby bay, and if so, does it produce fish?? i saw no other people fishing from boats, and only a couple of people fishing off jetty's. also, is there a ramp that runs straight into raby bay??

cheers

pete

hey mate - when I had my famous electric 'blackout' on the boat this morning (you can read about my embarassing situation in the boating thread), we went out off cleveland and it was blowing a gale (northerly) and was a washing machine getting out of the vmr.

we raced into the canals and found an empty lot pontoon to see what was the matter with my electrics. anyway, after deciding to call the day off, we headed back into the washing machine only to see about half a dozen teenage girls launching one of those surf boats with oars

I looked at Dad and he looked at me - yet they rowed out into it and made for the canals quick smart! must have been a hell of a start to the day trying to fight that incoming swell with a 20kt northerly. I had enough trouble trying to keep the boat lined up to the trailer and fighting the swell to drive it on!!!