Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Who Is Telling The Most Lies - And Who Is Going To Get Caught Out First

Re: Who Is Telling The Most Lies - And Who Is Going To Get Caught Out First

well, I hope any problem intruders that turn up at my place will wait until I get the ammo from one locked storage place, the bolt from another, and the firearm from the third, and then put them altogether.

That said, the day I get reliable info that a person was put on hold by the cops while a violent intruder entered there home may be the time I revisit all of this.

From my perspective, its just such a shame that we seem to be following the Yanks with some aspects of this issue

I would like to flesh out this defence issue. Would you use a firearm to protect a family member? What of a violent home invasion by several brutal possibly drugged out blokes about to have thier way with your 16 yr old daughter?

You have a gun available which you can quietly access without them realising you are home.[I have a electronic gun safe which gives virtually instant access which is in my bedroom] Will you use it? As a father I would use it or I could never look my daughter in the eye or myself in the mirror again. Home invasions are becoming more and more common with kids being abducted or molested practicaly every week somewhere.

We can decide to defend our own lives or not, but it is harder if not impossible not to defend loved ones. A least it is or would be for me.

Incidentally it is not illegal to use a firearm for self defence,[ under justifyable conditions and circumstances] it is just not considered a genuine reason to buy one.

I think adequate home security is a better solution to the home invasion threat than have a ready to fire gun at hand. The remote chance that it would be useful in this scenario is countered by the risk of a having a deadly weapon close at hand in domestic violence situations or when people are at risk of suicide.

There was a murder in my street a while back. I drove home to find a crime scene. A neihbour was molesting a firearm owners daughter. He found out a pumped six bullets into him instead of letting the police deal with it. He's up for murder now so his life is also potentially ruined also.

One of the downsides of turning your home into a fortress is that your family become the inprisoned and there is the terryifing prospect of you and your family not being able to escape in a rapid house fire. Smoke alarms while good can fail and need to be constantly maintained and checked, which is something I need to do more regularly.

In reality a house fire poses a greater risk for my family. There is also the fact that we live a long way from a police station[ which doesn't operate 24 hrs anyway] so we have to look out for our own protection anyway. This can apply to a lot of people in large cities too where police only arrive after the criminals have left.

I certainly agree that if you lack control of your emotions, have a nervous disposition, mental problems, have a tendancy to the grog/drugs or have little skill or lack confidence with firearms , you should do everyone a favour and don't go near firearms. I believe it is up to the individual to seriously acces thier own abilities and personality before obtaining firearms and accept responsibility for your actions, just as we should do before buying our cars, boats, knives or other dangerous items.

I am glad I do not live in fear like some of you appear to..we leave the front door open when at home..have a security system when not at home...never worry about anything like home invasion or anything like that..not once have I considered anything necessary for family protection...never had any problems around here.

Same here. This home invasion thing is blown up out of all proportion. Of course, it could happen but I think that it is very rare.

How does the potential home invader know that the occupant is not even more insane than them?

Would you use a firearm to protect a family member? What of a violent home invasion by several brutal possibly drugged out blokes about to have thier way with your 16 yr old daughter?
    Scenario 1: Drugged out blokes break into my home. For some reason they have chosen my home, and decide to have their way with my daughter. Was this the reason for them breaking in? Or did they just happen to wander into my daughters room first rather than mine? I get out of bed, mentally alert at 3.30am having just woken from a deep sleep. I quickly remove my loaded? gun from the electronic gun safe in my room. I rush to her room, where the drugged out intruders stand still while I shoot them ... Wait, scrap that last bit, they probably won't stand still. Ok, they rush at me, and now I must hit a number of moving targets, in a dimly lit room. I discharge my weapon a number of times, unfortunately in the confusion I have just shot my daughter.

Scenario 2: Drugged out blokes break into my home. Except this time they enter my room first. Assuming the fact that my house has been designed so that it is easy to escape from in a fire, they enter quickly. They hold a knife to my wifes throat telling me they will kill her if I don't open my gun safe and give them my weapons. Upon meeting their request, they shoot my wife and I and have their way with my daughter.

Hmmm, I can see your point now. Must go out and arm myself to the teeth.

Don't know how this thread got turned around into talking about PA and firearms for self defence as neither view is supported by SSAA or more importantly Australian Shooting Party but just remember a vote for TFP means a vote ( pref #5) for the LDP which do support self defence and probably the PA conspiracy along with plenty of other "nutter" policies.
    You want to see their other crazy ideas go to the website conveniently supplied by lingus while there try their quiz to determine your political leanings.

Can I clear up a few points raised by different posters.

I My firearms are legally stored in a electronic safe. That is... unloaded with bolt removed for bolt actions. This is not required for shotguns or lever action rifles. They are required to have the action 'broken' which means the action is open . Ammunition is legally stored in a seperate internal section of the safe also with electronic access.

2 I do not support any conspiracy theories on Port Arthur.

3 No, I do not live in fear, in fact the opposite.

4 I never said everyone must have a gun for self defence , I merely pointed out that it is not illegal to use one for self defence under justifyable conditions. I hope I am never in a situation where it is necessary, but reserve my right [which I have under law ] to do so.

5 As a competitive shooter with several decades of experience, I can assure you that I am very capable with firearms .[ my firearms trainer was a retired police firearms instructor.] This is in reference to the suggestion that I would somehow accidently shoot my own daughter.

6 If people are comfortable with the idea that thier young daughter could be subjected to multiple rape and and would refuse to use a firearm to help her, well that is thier choice. If you feel that you don't trust yourself with a firearm, then don't have one. I will support you 100% with that choice.

There may be a couple of points that I have missed ,but I' ve had a busy day and that will do for now.

we leave the front door open when at home..have a security system when not at home...never worry about anything like home invasion or anything like that..not once have I considered anything necessary for family protection...never had any problems around here.
    This in no way contributes to the current discussion but we had an intruder in our house the night before last - while we were asleep - in our bedroom.

I woke to my wife saying "WHo the #$%* are you and what are you doing in my house?" The intruder was at the foot of our bed going through our stuff. He was dressed in all black and wore a "ninja" type mask.

When my wife said this he bolted, I jumped out of bed and chased him out of the house and down the street in my undies. He got away dammit and apparently hit 4 other houses in the street, going through wallets and purses, stealing them out of drawers right next to the sleeping victims.

We have talked about it and in this case a firearm wouldnt have helped as he was too quick. Apparently he was armed with a jimmy bar but didnt use it cause I think we scared the crapper out of him - he was just glad to get away.

He got in via an unlocked back door, he was trying all the open and unlocked doors in our street - any open windows he just removed the flyscreens and came right in. I never thought it would happen to us as we live in a very quiet neighborhood - but it can and does happen.

Just a warning ... possibly think about locking your doors and windows - I have 4 kids and the girls are a bit freaked out and its hard to get them to turn the lights out.

Cheers,

Adam

It's tempting to leave windows open on a hot night but there have been numerous cases or burgulars (or worse) using them to get in. I have placed metal rods in the sill so that the windows can only be open part way. Its a simple way of preventing anyone from climbing in.

Yeah I don't think leaving a door or window opened, or even unlocked is advisable. I like to think that any intruder would have to make a bit of noise in trying to enter. I use metal bars in tracks as well.

5 As a competitive shooter with several decades of experience, I can assure you that I am very capable with firearms .[ my firearms trainer was a retired police firearms instructor.] This is in reference to the suggestion that I would somehow accidently shoot my own daughter.
    3.30am, woken from a deep sleep, dark rooms, unknown number of intruders who could potentially rush you. Come on Rambo, even you can see that in this scenario accidents could happen, even to you.

As for training, well, I doubt your training would prepare you for such an event, and most policemen I know (quite a few), could not hit a moving target with any sort of accuracy. All of them trained by police firearms instructors. I hope for the sake of your family you're never put in this position in the first place.

Fafnir,

I think the ability of police to hit moving targets is pretty obvious.

For a start the distances are very short and the targets are large. Police are also not allowed to shoot unless the attacker/s are advancing and refuse to stop. So in reality most targets would be moving. Seems to happen a fair bit at night too and often in public areas. I am also sure some of them are pretty stressed and tired after a long shift when they are forced to shoot.

But hey it would be my call, and I accept the responsibility for my actions. as I have said before if you would prefer not to help your young daughter facing rape in that situation with a firearm that is your choice.

Most of the police I know couldn't hit the broadside of a barn especially with a pistol but did see a pretty good exhibition by customs officers practicing at Broome pistol range.
    As for security the house is never locked in fact at present there is no front door or side windows due to renovations.
    When travelling though I do feel a bit exposed, it was alright when we had pig dogs and now would feel better if there was a pistol handy but it is illegal and thats it.
    Usually have a sticking knife somewhere close although even that is ilegal in NSW?

Although this topic was obviously targeted at politicians, I do believe (to answer your question Derek) that you were caught out first. On day two of this thread, you promised

"Complete end of subject on this from me and I hope you are all happy with the election outcomes.

Regards

Derek."

The breaking of this core promise has led to numerous strikes, a few hook ups a couple of spoolings and the introduction of a couple of new species to ausfish.

There should be a rule against elections being called during the change in fishing seasons.

Jim