Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 114cm tailor caught at Orchid Beach???

Question 114cm tailor caught at Orchid Beach???

My workmate got a call from his mate works on a job on Fraser island.
    The lady at the Orchid Beach Trading Post had told him of the catch on Sunday.
    But haven't see the real monster or a photograhy...

Anyone know this story or ?

Re: 114cm tailor caught at Orchid Beach???

Wow, i'd love to see a pic of that monster.

rockfisho

Don't believe everything just because there is a pic LOL
    I told my mates I caught this under the hornibrook bridge.

Last edited by baitwaster; 31-10-2007 at 03:12 PM.

m8eeee,

this is classic one!

Yep i caught it up on Fraser, put up a huge fight and i was using 500metres of 30lb MONO on the trusty 650b alvey and got down to about 150metres then got my fish, 500 metres of line, quad gangs and 50lb leader, only thing i didnt get back was the pilchard.

NOT

think 114 is a bit far fetched however saying that a mate caught one there a few weeks ago that went about 75 cm

Would have to see it to believe it, but you never know....

lmao m8eee!!!

cuzza

I have heard of a metre long tailor caught several yrs ago in West Aus around Shark bay area. Nothing near that size I have ever heard of on the east coast however. Still I would be amazed but not surprised to see one behemoth like that.

Jack

114 is a fair whopper alright. Do you know if he caught it landbased or boat?

American bluefish? same species? 44 inchs has been recorded. Mate caught one at fraser 100cm exactly.

guess larger is possible?

This is my biggest ever tailor, caught from the rocks of the Noosa headland quite a few years ago now. It weighed 5kg - you didn't bother with length in those days. Not easy to estimate its length, but comparing it to the dart around it my guess is that it's about a metre long. What do you reckon? That would make a 114cm tailor a very big fish because they tend to get thicker rather than longer as they get big.
    The American blue fish is the same species as out tailor. One of my fishing books gives their maximum length as 120cm and weight of 14kg.
    Cheers Freeeedom

After a day posted thread & there's 300th view and not yet claim the 114cm tailor story. We're still waiting...

HI TIDE - believe to be landbased... boating at orchid beach considers too hassle & crazy!

FREEEEDOM - I had a quick search to compare your PB 5kg and found this one
    My biggest tailor was 86cm and a tad over 5kg... refer thread #6 http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...ghlight=tailor
    Yours could be between 85 & 90cm.
    interesting note on american blue fish! thanks

That's a little sub freeeedom, great catch!

cuzza

In August 2006 Slider put up a post with pictures of a 5.5kg tailor caught by Col Payne on the Teewah beach. Unfortunately the pictures seem to have disappeared from the post but it was another real horse of a fish. I was camped at the North Shore next to Col the following week and heard about it from him. It took half a salted pilchard in quite close and just missed out on the prize from the ferry.
    Cheers Freeeedom

found this pic on the net....would have to go close to a meter

cheers nath

How ya living?