Thread: Soft plastic flatties

Soft plastic flatties

Hi all.... Help???
    What is the best way to rig a leaders to fish SP for flatties and bream. Do you need a trace or mono/flurocarbon? Heaps of you blokes are into it, fess up on best line class, braid or mono and leader b/strain.
    Thanks heaps
    barraboy7
    " Fishing is not a hobby, a Hobby is something I do in my spare time! "

Re: Soft plastic flatties

Tie some leader material (mono, hybrid or fluorocarbon) to your mainline (good mainline to start with is 6lb fireline- braid) using a double uni knot or an albright. 2 Rod lengths or so of leader should be plenty. Don't use a swivel.

A good quality 8lb leader is a good way to cover both flatties and bream. If you think your onto a good flathead - don't put too much pressure on the line as 8lb will not last too long in a flathead's mouth before being worn down.

I've caught lots of good size flathead and bream using 8lb YoZuri hybrid leader.

Its well worth trying to get your hands on the berkley soft plastics dvd, it gives a good rundown on getting rigged up and some simple SP techniques.

Don't go too heavy with the leader if your starting out as your likely to get more inquiries from fish when using lighter leader.

oddbudman

I use a length of fluorocarbon long enough to get one turn on the spool when the sp is sitting ready to cast. Any more and i find that now and again the knot linking braid to leader will sometimes catch the unspooling line when casting.

When chasing lizards in clearer water (when they seem a bit timid) or when the smaller models are about, I use 8lb leader and up it to 12lb when i'm targetting crocodiles.

I mainly use 12lb braid for my main line because it helps me retrieve my snagged plaztix. but as oddbudman said 8lb is plenty and probably better.
    Last edited by plaztix; 30-10-2007 at 09:09 AM.

G'day mate, like most situations use the lightest gear you can get away with.
    6lb braid with 8lb fluro leader should be heaps for flathead.
    With bream you can go way down in breaking strain and leader. Start with 4lb line and 6lb leader ( safe size )and if need be you can go right back to 2lb line with 4lb leader. Go for quality braid and quality leader material and you'll be laughing.
    Let's organise that bass trip and I'll show you some gear.

hhmm I just use plain old Mono about 6 to 10LB with no leader at all, but that is not to say that a leader is wrong or anything, I just found that it was not needed and just added another knot to the system, I don't use one.

10Lb Braid with 10 to 12 flurocarbon leader. Too much stress landing big flathead and tends to wear them out for the release. Not always using light line is helpful for the catch and release.

Yes to keep a couple occassionally for a feed but only in 45 to 50 range normally.

Regards Trev

Thanks guys, great info there, pretty much what I thought but its good to get good perspective from all. Littel Grey Men I am away for 2 weekends and then back so shoot me a Private message with you phone numberand I give you a call.
    Again many thanks to all
    Barraboy7
    " Fishing is not a hobby, a Hobby is something I do in my spare time! "