Thread: Targeting species

Targeting species

Hi Guys,

Trying to learn the fine art of targeting and catching flathead around the Pin and Broadwater area, yes I am piscatorially challenged but not giving up, can I a target other species like whiting for example without changing spots,bait,rigs etc. I know theres alot of information I could give about spots rigs etc but I guess I am just after a general yes or no. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Targeting species

If you are targeting flatties i would ditch the bait and go for a soft plastic. They are an ambush predator and sit waiting for a feed to come to them, so a moving 'lure' imitating a wounded bait fish will almost always tempt them over a stinking bit of bait sitting in the sand/mud.

If you prefer to fish bait (or aren't interested in sp's or lures) just drift around drop offs and the mouths of draining feeder creeks.

The last few hours of the run out tide is generally the best time to target flatties.

Years ago i used to love targeting whiting on live beach or blood worms and would often score a flattie with the same rig. 4lb mono trace (about 60cm long) a long shank hook with a couple of red beads and red tube just above the hook.

Good luck