Thread: Mooloolaba Rock Wall

Mooloolaba Rock Wall

Howdy All

going to fish off the mooloolaba rock wall...every time I go up there something has been busting me off...15lb line was like cotton...this time I am loaded for bear and going to have a crack at finding out what it is...any ideas? Whatever it is/they are...it sits just in the deep channel...hits like the proverbial steam train and before you can think...snap!

Any advice for fishing up there? What sort of species are likely to be around?

Mike L.

Re: Mooloolaba Rock Wall

hhmm let me see, could be a big ray, a Cod, a Shark, a Jewfish,and probaly more than a dozen other species, but if you catch "IT" let us know what it is/was.

Mate from past experiances massive eagle rays patrol the area but also just any rays in general are all about unfortuantly but i could be wrong. when i used to fish their heaps there was a chinese kid that got spooled on 8olb braid with a big abu trying to land and eagle ray hahah he had no chance

Sounds like you need a couple of rolls of whipper snipper cord and a winch. Is the line snapping or are you being rubbed/bitten off? My money would be on the ray too, but as Noel said there's plenty of other possibilities..
    Joel
    Fishing for the thrill, not for the kill

Mangove jack? Cobia?
    On the down side, yep eagle ray! The first run can be great, they just 'fly'............
    Cheers and enjoy........
    Last edited by nigelr; 25-10-2007 at 07:27 PM.

Well if I can get a look at it...I will let you know...I am thinking a cod as it pretty much is in the same spot each time...and it busts you off so quick...the line breaks, it is not abraided. I hate not knowing what it is...

In the maroochy river near the cod hole I have a similiar situation but this thing comes out, takes the whole squid and then just goes under something, you can't get it out...tried giving it heaps of freeline and leaving it for about 20mins, no luck...you can feel something on the line but you can't move it.

i think i have found that critta at the cod hole as well, it did the same thing as voodoo said. what ever it was it was huge
    figjam :wink:

Souds like an XOS estuary cod

Others have it spot on.

I fished that wall regularly for a couple of years and have consistenly caught both big rays and shovellies, going over 2 metres.

Big cod is the other possibility. I also used to fish just up from the ramp and rescue station and initially used to get snagged a lot as apparently there is a rock wall just below the low water mark. I took to using a 13ft rod and winding in fast to bring the terminal tackle over the snags. On several occasions (fishing live whiting bait) I would get a hit which would run for the wall and I would lose the fish and tackle. It wasn't until I finally managed to beach one that I realised that they were estuary cod. My first went 5.5 kilos and on later sessions I caught 7 and 9 kilo ones. Must re-visit one day.

Try heavy line, big baits, and you may well be surprised.

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

a guy caught a 23kg mactuna off the rocks just round the bend a carty's last week 2, just another possibility!! ( id like to no how you land something that size onto the rocks aswell!!!!)

Big shovelly - p;enty there as kev said.

cuzza

very keen to find out ... good luck

Have not had a chance to get up there as yet...if this weather clears up a bit and I am not working this week I will try...I don't mind the rain when fishing...not so keen on lightning!

I will try to get some livies and throw them over the spot...see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooChile78 View Post
    In the maroochy river near the cod hole I have a similiar situation but this thing comes out, takes the whole squid and then just goes under something, you can't get it out...tried giving it heaps of freeline and leaving it for about 20mins, no luck...you can feel something on the line but you can't move it.

mate, that sounds like a sting ray. they usually run around for a bit, then settle on the bottom and suck down hard. You can't lift the big ones off, no matter how hard you try.

If you manage to hold it for few minutes, it won't dart around like a fish, it just glides around, might get half way up then change it's mind and run away from you. If you can't keep it off the bottom it will settle on the mud and suck down in the mud.

Come to think of it, I have had the same suitation happen to me well my fishing mates. First time was on the Point Cartwright side on the bend just before the rocks, My mate was using dead herring for bait when all of a sudden ZZZZzzzzzz out towards the ocean... then snap! (this was at night) and in the same spot my brother was throwing Sp's around early morning when the same thing happened. ;/

Cheers, Mick.