Thread: Pine River dolphin

Pine River dolphin

G'day Fellas,

Last sunday I fished the pine with a good mate and got a really good surprise. A really big and very old dolphin paid us a visit for nearly a 1/4 hour in our stretch of the river right near Petrie. At times this old fella was within about 1 feet of us happily cruising through and giving the odd burst of speed and agility that was amazing for such an old fella.
    He has lost probably about 1/4 of his snout and most of his dorsal fin and all the edges of his tail to what looked like cancer being all bulbous and meaty. He was the palest dolphin I have ever seen and almost white patches along his sides.

I feel for the soon to be demise of this old denizen but I would also like him nopt to suffer much also.

Has anyone else seen this old fella of the river??

Is he a local of the river that has been there for a fair while or just paid us a once off visit?

I do not think anyone could forget him or not recognise him at all.

Jack.

Re: Pine River dolphin

How u goin? my mate(punter ausfisher) see,s him in all areas of the fine 'pine' most day,s for year a or so.

g,day,

yeh i see him all the time around deep water bend happily cruising around.

have been seeing him for 3 or so years.and yes. he definately has looked better.
    i have noticed his tail looking especially worse for wear.

Daniel

He/she's been a regular in the Pine for many years
    Cheers Freeeedom

Absolutely - seen him for over seven years now. we call him buster -apparently he is also seen regularly over at moreton. has had some close shaves with big tigers i reckon.

cuzza

I wonder what the life span of a dolphin is... anybody ??? I know they might chase the fish away, but I sure feel blessed whenever I see one out fishing.

Yep see him nearly every trip up the pine He isn't your usual bottle nose dolphin either, pretty sure he is an Atlantic dolphin or something similar. Would have to check on this. I have seen 2 types in pods out in the bay also so I know he isn't just a beat up old bottle nose

I used to go skiing in the pine around 3 years ago and he used to hang around the beach area a fare bit.
    from memory the dorsin fin was ugly looking back then.

good to see him still around

neil

i first sore it atleast 10 years back we were fishing near the bridge and it came up right next to the boat , i craped me dacks (thought at first sight it was a shark), i went fishing at nudgee with brandon h a couple of months ago and we sore a similar looking dolphin , im not sure if it was the same one but it was beat up looking like buster .

If your worried about his condition - contact sea world.... They will be only too happy to help out. We found an injured old dolphin about 1km off shore at the Gold coast seaway years ago - and we called them on our mobile via directory assist... Within 90mins we had a marine mammal rescue team with us assessing the dolphin... They travel from the Northern bay to Tweed and beyond to assess and rescue injured marine mamammals... Turned out ours was already being tracked by a micro chip and had been treated by the team previously! I know another Ausfisher called about an injured sea turtle some time back too - cant remember the details on that case (could do an Ausfish search)... Hope he is OK - they really are an amazingly beautiful animal.

I saw him last week and he seems to be fine - i don't think there'd be any need to call seaworld. he seems as he always does, and that's happy, hunting.

cuzza