Thread: Snapper question?

Snapper question?

Good day all,
    Am going to have a crack at a Tamar River (Tassie) snapper this summer.(Get to around 20lb +)
    Have a good idea where to look but they are as rare as rocking horse ----
    Have one question for all you mainland snapper gurus.
    If there is one golden rule for snap what is it? (please)
    With thanks
    Reidy
    Last edited by reidy; 22-10-2007 at 11:41 AM.

Re: Snapper question?

hhmm only 1 Golden rule?? then I guess it would be to fish as light as possible to maximise your chances of a bite!

Maybe i needed to ask for several multi coloured answers as opposed to one golden.LOL
    Thanks Noelm
    Cheers
    Reidy

First light or as the sun goes down are prime times

Cheers MJF

Fresh bait, plenty burley, smallest sinker possible (if any), circle hooks.
    Are there really snapper in Tassie?????????
    Cheers.
    Last edited by nigelr; 22-10-2007 at 06:21 PM.

Good day
    Thanks fellas for the advice.
    There is a small head of resident snapper in the Tamar River (nth tas).
    Have been taken to 26lb but are quite elusive. 4-5 trips per fish appears to be the average.
    Trying to cover some of the variables at the moment to close the hit and miss time frame.
    Thanks again
    Cheers
    Reidy

hhmm I reckon that if I was to try to catch Snapper in those conditions, then I would find the most easily/readily available (to the Snapper) natural bait, and use that, and present it in the most natural way you can, also a small amount of the same thing used sparingly as burley, then fish at prime times (early morning and late evening) use as light a line and sinker as posible and hope for the best!

Look for a rubble/ gravel patch.Burley pellets and oil. Run out tide,(turn-first hr), fish light .Good luck.

Local fresh bait!!, fish light!!!! light sinker, light line mabye 10kg straight to a circle hook otherwise 30lb flurocarbon leader. Burley and float your baitback into your burley trail, your bait should be mid water. if it;'s on or near the bottom your using to bigger sinker and drastically reducing your chancesof a snapper!

Ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Try using a live KG whiting or half a whiting. Alot of the guys around melbourne use them and get great results! A local here (north coast nsw) uses them landbased and landed one that went 8.6kg recently.
    Good luck mate!

If your fishing rugged ground don't try to put too much hurt on the fish or he will reef you.Try to keep the fish high in he water and let him think he is in control easier said then done I know. but if you don't panic he won,t panic ,and will tire fairly quickly.
    I tend to use 12-15 lb line on a circle style hook about 3/0.
    whiting heads would be good bait.
    no sinker if possible.
    let the bait float down the berley trail as natural as possible,this means holding on to your rod in freespool letting the currant take your bait until you get the run.good luc

Good day all,
    Thanks for the info guys.This has given me a bloody good head start.
    Next mission is to catch one over the next few weeks.
    Thanks again
    Cheers
    Reidy

I reckon you are 3 weeks to early, we tend to get a few more up this end of the state I think.
    cheers
    blaze

Good day Blaze,
    Yeh to right mate,water temp is still quite low in the river a the moment but i am chafing at the bit to have a crack at one.Going to run the sounder over some bottom on the week-end and will undoubtably wet a line.Dont expect much but its better than mowing lawns.
    All the best
    Reidy
    Bugger here comes the rain
    Last edited by reidy; 26-10-2007 at 02:46 PM.

Thanks again to all those who responded.
    All the best
    Reidy