View Poll Results: Have you positively identified a great white shark recently?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

18 14.40%
  • no

107 85.60%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Great White Sharks

Re: Great White Sharks

That's one creepy story Flattie Assassin. The burley just kept on comin'.

I had a 4.5m plus white circle within a meter of the 5m centre console in the shallows at the top of the barwon banks. A magnificent sight to see such a huge fish so close. I rigged a whole mack tuna and threw it out but it wasnt interested and left soon after. It was about 7yrs ago now.

yeah i seen one last year, while squidding off rapid bay. my old man and i were 150 metres from shore when he chased my jag. woulda been a 14 footer, which is small for the waters around there and cape jervis. pretty gnarly seeing one that size. made my legs week. a whale died off cape jervis a few years ago and there were more than 10 absolute monsters out havin a chew on it. they say one of these babies was 19-20 foot. the girth was huge. and there were people out on the water in kayaks checkin it out. NUTS!!! they are definately out there. and more than we think.

Never seen a great white but have been on my Uncles boat in WA and caught an 18ft Tiger shark. Bugger was huge when it was beside the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    WTF was that????? Looked like a great movie!!!!!
    movies called megalodon 3, its pretty funny

Quote Originally Posted by davec84 View Post
    movies called megalodon 3, its pretty funny
    Megalodon similar to a white pointer
    grew to around 50 foot weighed around 45 tonnes
    fed on early whales
    Its gape was around 2.5m complete with 15cm triangular serated teeth
    became extinct around 1.6 millilon years ago
    Was/is the largest of the shark species ever documented
    ref.sea monsters n marven/j james ("walking with" series of docos)
    Cheers
    Reidy

Had a Fish hit a floating bait off Evans about four years ago,the fight went on for an eternity with the fish circling the boat (Five metre CC Explorer) during this time I had the young fella tilt the motor up so most of the leg was clear of the water,during the later stage of the fight everything went slack,a bit bewildered by this I wound in quickly only to have the rod tip find it's way to the leg of the motor.Thimking I had somehow fouled the motor I droped the rod and hung over the back corner only to find a longtail holding station basicly touching the bottom of the leg pretending to be part of the motor,an instant later out of the corner of my eye I saw a huge torpedo come up at 45 degrees,I insntantly droped to my knees as a shark (a White) took the fish and the leg in one hit and proceeded to lift the back of the boat clear of the water and dump it about ten feet away,my mate who was anchored up probably seventy yards away said he could see daylight under the hull and the tail thrashing at the bow of the boat.After all that the shark spat the Longtail out and I just managed to jam a foot on the rod before the lot went over the side,got the fish to the boat in no time flat but it took a real long time to convince either of the two young blokes with me to gaff the fish (one of which had never been to sea before.....or since).So yeh,those that are keen to see one in the wild just be carefull of what you wish for.

Now that is a scary story, Banshee!
    Would have got the adrenaline pumping for sure!
    Personally I would prefer never to have an experience like that............, especially in the 4.2 tinny.............
    Cheers!

I have seen 4 whites in the past 15 years two outside 20 mile off yamba near the self while I was deckying on a snapper trapping boat both mauled the traps trying to get the fish inside when the traps got near the boat. One anchored 9 mile off Evans when I was deckie on a trawler when where cleaning the deck and nets down and he was hanging around. One mauled my mates outboard about about a 150-200 m from us and done a cruise by on us havin a good look but must have decided those boat thingos don't taste to good and went right on by.
    have seen many tigers though and heaps of whalers they follow trawlers at night.

Saw 1 off Moreton Is 2 years ago 5 to 6 m long - circled my boat for 10 minutes before swimming off into the depths , find a whale carcuss out there and they wont be far away.
    Beast .