Thread: mud island

mud island

hi all, went to mud yesterday aftero & last nite. had a few good hook ups but couldnt stop them. dont know what they were. then all i could get is shovel nose sharks. living in the country i dont get much of a chance of getn to fish the salt & was hopen some1 could send me a pm on a area, when n how to catch 1 of these mud island snapper. thanks bill.....

Re: mud island

"had a few good hook ups but couldnt stop them".......sounds like you have a good area. Were you using plastics or bait? Did they spool you or did the line break or did they reef you? What strength line and leader were you using?

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

I was at Mud Island yesterday and pulled a 7.5kg & a 5kg during the day, Just on dark my luck changed and I to got some big runs that just busted off after a short while. I was starting to blame the line (even though it was brand new) until I pulled in just the head of a Approx 2kg Snapper.

So in conclusion I put it down to sharks and more mackrel as I had put an unusually large amount of berley as one 2kilo pack of pillies where about hte size of Sardines!!!

hi jeremy, i was fishin on the west side in about 4m or water. we were using bait. pillys, most runs would spit it when we put wait on them. but 1 we fought for at least half an hour then snaped the line. dont know if it hit the reef or just snaped. i was using 30 lb braid n leader. i would get a meter back then it would take 2. it wasnt realy runing, just sitin there. it ran when it first hit though.

That sound like a noah

Quote Originally Posted by Scott nthQld View Post
    That sound like a noah
    or a big cod. Definitely was not a snapper.

IMHO pillys are not the best bait. They are soft and get picked off pretty easy. That might be why you missed the runs. Try FRESH mullet or some other fresh fish flesh baits. Might be able to cast net your own? If you are fishing the arvo session, try a run out to the middle of the bay looking for tuna. Fresh tuna is a top bait for all reef fish (and sharks!!)

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

I was at mud yesterday and found a lot of undersized fish, didnt actually get one keeper or a decent run, had a very fat skipper on a trawler run over my new crab pot on its maiden trip and it didnt surface, good shot rubber guts!! you had the whole bay and still managed to run over my new crab pot and sink the float, thats real skill, bet you celebrated by eating a loaf of bread and 3 cooked chickens.
    Also went to green this moring, great weather and perfect conditions, saw a lot of bait around but when green is quite its dead quite and i only managed 1 small squire.

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    I was at mud yesterday and found a lot of undersized fish, didnt actually get one keeper or a decent run, had a very fat skipper on a trawler run over my new crab pot on its maiden trip and it didnt surface, good shot rubber guts!! you had the whole bay and still managed to run over my new crab pot and sink the float, thats real skill, bet you celebrated by eating a loaf of bread and 3 cooked chickens.
    Also went to green this moring, great weather and perfect conditions, saw a lot of bait around but when green is quite its dead quite and i only managed 1 small squire.
    Maybe if you were using nuclear chooks for bait things would have been different, you may have caught a rubbergut skipper, a trawler,lunch and got your crab pot back from around his prop!!!

LMFAO.... that was a cracker short story you wrote

Mick

thanks jeremy, happy fishing

Whiting make a good bait for snaps...they hold on well and the pickers dont seem to take them...$4 a kilo..not expensive either..
    ..Greg...."Termites pay the bills"..... Trailcraft 475...75 Hp E-Tec

Bill,

Mate I don't know how far into the country you live, but it sounds like you put more effort into fishing the bay than the average shmo like me, where I am at the boat ramp within 40 mins. So my advice is to use the "Going Fishing Tab" and advertise when you are next coming down for a fish, maybe one or two sympathetic AF members will allow you to tag along.

I am planning a soft plastics trip ( surprise surprise, haven't touched bait in about 5 years!!)this Saturday for instance, but maybe you are not - its a bit hit and miss if you dont get out that often..

PM me if interested in SP's which I KNOW works on Snaps around Mud.

Scalem

Quote Originally Posted by Scott nthQld View Post
    That sound like a noah
    Probably a shark but don't discount a huge catfish i have hooked and caught some seriously big catfish on that west side of mud. They feel heavy and have some serious power behind them when they go for a run.

Cheers Chris