Thread: Minn Kota Riptide ST and SP differences ?

Minn Kota Riptide ST and SP differences ?

Hi Everyone,

After not getting much (any) response from the boating chat section, thought I might post this in here because there is probably a higher incidence of people with electrics in here.

I'm looking at getting a bow-mount Minn Kota electric and it seems there are two main choices that suit my application. I'm looking at a 55lb thrust model with autopilot (and possibly co-pilot) and there are two models of the Riptide, the ST and SP.

Doing a comparison on the Minn Kota web site, the only difference apparent from the charts seems to be the mounting and deploy systems?

I'm thinking there's got to be more to it than that, especially for the price difference. Is anyone able to point out the differences between the ST and SP models ?

Richard

Re: Minn Kota Riptide ST and SP differences ?

Try phoning Bob Littler Agencies. 45 Aquarium Ave Hemmant QLD 4174.
    ph: 07 33900124
    They should know the answer.

Mate the main difference is the foot control (FP) or co-pilot (CP) control system. The SP has foot control the SP remote control (hand-held).

I just went through the same exercise and fitted a 55 lb bow mount to my 4m punt last weekend. It was recommended to me by my supplier to get the SP model with foot control and if down the track I wanted to upgrade to the remote control I could do this with a co-pilot add-on. It would end up costing an extra $80 or so (through him anyway) and I would then have both the foot control and the remote control. Both have a time and place I suspect.

I had the boat out for a very successful test run last sunday and mate I couldn't be happier with the SP and the foot control. With auto-pilot you're not glued to the foot control, the motor did most of the work itself.

Mate if you have any other questions re prices, batteries, installation etc I'd be happy to help. I did a fair amount of research (as it's much more fun than work....!)

Thanks for the replies guys.

So Aeon, the main differences you could see were a fancy foot pedal (if you order it), different delopyment system, co-pilot standard on the ST (but no foot pedal).

Seems a bit much for the extra $500. I think I'll stick with the SP model and get a co-pilot remote later if I want one.

On that note - does anyone have a co-pilot remote out there, and if so, was it worth the extra expense ??

Richard

Hi,
    The ST = Saltwater Terrova
    The SP = Saltwater Powerdrive

In 12 Volt 55lb the SP is available in 2 variations: Foot control or Co-Pilot

The Terrova has:
    - a far better & smoother stow / deploy than the SP. (Can do it with 2 fingers)
    - a smoother digital steering / AutoPilot
    - rabit speed (goes straight to full power) & AutoPilot on/off on the CoPilot Control
    - Isolator on stow to stop it turning on when stowed
    - Foot control is far better. Lean forward/back for left/right similar to Maxxum bowmounts

If you purchase a Saltwater Powerdrive with foot control & add CoPilot it is almost the same $ as just buying a Terrova. All of the xtra features of the Terrova make it a more appealing purchase for around the same $$.

All of the latest Minn Kotas have IP68 rated plugs (issentially the highest rating for liquids & solids a connector can get). Best for saltwater use.

Hope that helps.

fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

PM sent richard.
    Mick

I've just upgraded from the older style RT55AP to the new Saltwater Terrova 80lber. The deploy system is great. Bought the foot pedal as well as I've found when fishing in the timber and such the co-pilot can be a bit of a handfull.
    One thing I have found which is if you mount a transducer on the motor, there is no way to secure the cable from getting caught up in the deploy mechanism. Rang BLA and they had no answer, actually asked me to let them know if I found a way. Also contacted Minn Kota USA and they basicly said suck it in not so many words. If I come up with a way, I'll let you all know.
    Fitzy, do you know of a way? Be great if I could run the cable down the channel thats on the shaft, as it wouldn't get tangled up. Just don't want to cut the end of the transducer cable to feed it through were the servo motor is that turns the shaft. Would have to take the head off and slide the shaft out but that could void my warranty but taking it apart myself.
    Any suggestions?
    A frustrated Billyboy