Thread: serviceing reels???

serviceing reels???

G'day all,
    How often should i service my reels? I chase all the summer palagics including the marlin so i thaught id go over them... iv got many reels ranging from small spinning to game reels.. Should i send them to my local tackle store, manufacturer or should i go over them myself with a screwdriver, sewing oil and grease...? will it void my warranty?

thanks to all who respond cheers BD

Re: serviceing reels???

how good are you with things mechanical?

I'd have no hesitation servicing my own.

But I know some people who just shouldn't try this sort of thing.

cheers

IMHO lever drag reels would prob be better left to professionals, any other kind you could do yourself with time, patience and method.
    I wouldn't be risking a $1000 lever drag game reel myself, and I've repaired/serviced quite a lot of reels. Serious baitrunners I would personally also leave to the pros, if they stuff up the service/re-assembly at least you've got some recourse.......
    After all, incorrect re-assembly may cause you to lose the fish of the season......
    As far as warranty goes, I suspect your own maintainance would void this.
    Perhaps start on those reels that are out of warranty, just to get a feel of it.
    Make sure you operate in a clean well lit area, beware of flying springs, clips etc!Schematics downloads are often available on the net, which are invaluable at times!
    Quite satisfying to do your own reels, and easy enough with practice, as oldboot says. Saves you money and you can ensure your gear is always in peak condition.
    Cheers.

keep the boxes with te assembly schematics/diagrams on, makes life alot easier, lol

They aren't that hard to do yourself. They only come apart one way, and go back together in the opposite order. Have a tidy work bench and lay out bits in order. Use a digital camera to take pics of assembled internal working before pulling apart if you aren't too familiar. If you use the schematic you shouldn't have any trouble. Shimano reels are easy. I refurbished and old Penn Senator once and that was a pain to put back together.

Do it yourself. I purchased some proper daiwa grease and a separate daiwa oil also. Make note of what has grease on it and what needs oil when you first crack the reel open. I also use a tooth brush to remove any deposits.

Good idea on taken a digital photo, and yes always have the schematics on hand.

Don't do it if your on your 5th beer either

How often... ummmm not sure, it depends.... I would say every 5-6 trips, if you aren't fishing regularly, do it after you fish if they are going to be sitting there for long periods.

roydsy
    Last edited by roydsy; 22-10-2007 at 09:16 AM.
    Not enough time in the day, to many spots to fish!

Quote Originally Posted by Custaro View Post
    They aren't that hard to do yourself. They only come apart one way, and go back together in the opposite order. Have a tidy work bench and lay out bits in order. Use a digital camera to take pics of assembled internal working before pulling apart if you aren't too familiar. If you use the schematic you shouldn't have any trouble. Shimano reels are easy. I refurbished and old Penn Senator once and that was a pain to put back together.
    If you follow Custaros game plan you cant go wrong.
    Cheers
    Reidy

http://www.scsurffishing.com/article...aintenance.htm

check this site out....might help

cheers all,
    Im goin to do all the smaller reels myself but ill send away the game reels...... maby only a couple of beers

cheers BD

I service all my reels myself. Most are alveys though, but i do have a spinning reel. As roydsy said, it's crucial that you put the right type of lubricant in the correct spot, otherwise it could gum up the whole reel.
    To give you and example; Alveys are virtually indestructable, however i once put grease in the washer set, and soon after i found it full of sand and gummed up and had to clean it out again and replace it with oil.

cheers

Owen

Mate I reckon the spinning reels are far more fiddley than the over heads and I do both types myself. You would be surprised just how simple the OH's are by comparison.

As a rule if you use light oil for your lube and minimal grease on your gears then a regular service is neccessary but if you put heavier stuff in then you do it less often. Horses for courses, if you have the time to gin around and want to get on top of any potential corrosion then regular services are best IMO plus it keeps your freespool feed flying for deep floating.

Good idea custaro had with the camera I hadn't done that in the past, will now. I do however clear everything away for those springs that go flying when you least expect it, middle of the kitchen is good if you can get away with it.

Cheers Gleeeza