Thread: LBG Kings?

LBG Kings?

How much 30lb line do you recommend when chasing small Kings (up to 7Kg) off the rocks?
    How much line if using 20lb line?

How much if chasing mackeral?

Re: LBG Kings?

Really depends on how how you are fishing for them mate.

Are you going to livebait for them or spin...??
    With kings a large line capacity isnt overly important as they fight very dirty and will hug the reef in close.....and try to bust you at every possible chance.
    When I livebaited the Sydney ledges I fished 100lb mono straight through and got busted numerous times by BIG kings.

If you want to spin for Mackeral and kings and want just the one outfit to cover both....Get yourself at least a 10ft rod rated up to 10kg and something like a Shimano TSS4 loaded with 30lb (braid) or if your prefer mono go 20lb for a bit more line capacity.
    There are other options but this is a relatively cheap set-up.

Its a bit of a general question you ask though...??
    For Spottie and school mackeral you can use 6kg and have some great fun....
    You can also stop small kings on the 6kg outfit....Once over 4kg though they can be hard to stop off the rocks on 6kg line.

If you want spaniards I would be using the heavier set-up as the line capacity will be more important with them....as it will be for big tuna.

Have I confused you...???

Pete

I'm having a go at noosa for kingys like you. I'm going to be using my 650 C5 alvey with 500 m 20 lb line, with a 50 lb leader.
    I have a silly superstition now about over-preparing, every time i get all fired up about a certain type of fish, and go spend a zillion dollars on equipment i never catch one. So i'm going to see how it goes with the 20 lb line first and upgrade if i get broken off easily.

cheers

Owen

Rockfisho
    Yep Noosa seems the go. But I think I'm a bit short of capacity - 20lb 300m and 30lb at about 250m - with a 10', 4-8Kg. graphite
    I prefer spinning but if no action I'll bait fish. Haven't done much livebaiting but I don't have the gear to handle something I might get caught with livebaiting.
    I won't be able to make it mid-November now but I'm now planning late Nov.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but by late November the yellowtail kings are normally gone.....They seem to be here in Noosa through the winter months though to late October....when the water is 20-21 degrees which is what they seem to like.
    In summer when the water starts warming up to 24 and up to 26degrees sometimes... they are gone.....The mackeral and tuna will be the targets then.

You need to fish NOW if you want them.

Pete

Pistol P - Bummer the Kings going by late Nov.
    Other than the Tuna and mackeral what else are the summer fish there?

Quote Originally Posted by IRMC000 View Post
    Pistol P - Bummer the Kings going by late Nov.
    Other than the Tuna and mackeral what else are the summer fish there?
    You will get various species of Trevally there....on slugs,plastics and poppers.
    Mackeral are great fun off the rocks and they should be here by then.

Pete