Thread: Light beach fishing gear

Light beach fishing gear

Just wondering what everyones opinions are on the lightest beach gear u can effectively use?

Re: Light beach fishing gear

My estuary outfit is an 10 feet rod with a 5 1/2 inch alvey loadedwith 4kg platypus line. I would have been happy with 3 Kg line but I had an unused 500 metres spool of 4kg.

It doubles pretty well as a light beach outfit for tailor, bream, whiting, flathead and dart. I've also used in my tinny for the above species plus snapper & macks.

Given a good lenght of heavier leader, nothing would stop you using 2kg or even 1kg!!!!

Luc

I use a cr3126 snyder rod and a mt4126 snyder both with 3500 baitrunner reels loaded with 4lb for whiting and bream and flathead from the beaches. Both work flawlessly on those fish however i do up the trace to 8lb for the flathead. For tailor and jew i use a mt6132 snyder with a 4500 baitrunner and 12lb line or 18lb line depending on the run. Have one spool of each ready to go....just do the swap and start to fish.
    I do not particularly like graphite rods for beach work.

Jack.

Watched a guy at Lennox Head earlier this year. He had a 6' soft plastics rod and about a 2000 reel with mono. He'd waded out to a sand bar behind a nice gutter and was fishing prawns into the back edge and a channel with almost no lead. He caught a decent flattie and a nice tarwhine in the 15 minutes that I watched him.

I have a 10' , 4 wrap rod that I like fishing with a Diawa 4000 and 8lb line. It's hopeless if the sea is big but in gutters, or off rockwalls for bream it does its job.

Fish as light as you can for the conditions or for the situation that you can manufacture.

Regards, Rob.
    Ballina

We have an old Snyder Mag bream rod, it works a treat on the light stuff and is our best performing whiting rod. It's coupled to a spin reel with 12 lb platinum.

Owen

Mate, I use 2 set ups for the surf, depending on how it is of course.

One is a magic soft rod that was built for me by a member here and its a 4132 blank (thanks Drew) and I use an Alvey 600B with it with 9lb Platypus Platinum.

The other one is an Alvey 6144 that I use when the surf is up a bit. I use an Alvey 600C with it with 12 lb Platypus Platinum.

I hope his helps you.

I find that these are pretty good.